SASS Wire Forum

Marlin or Henry or ...? Shot the Marlin at a match today

Pat Riot

41 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just an added note. I saw that RifleGear had put the Marlin 1894CB on sale for $839.00 yesterday. I called them this morning and asked if I could get the sale price. They said "Yes" and gave me a $60 store credit. That's pretty cool. I will take the store credit. I need some more Glock mags. :D

You can only get the ten round........:(

OLG

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, but there is a bright side. 10 rounders are only $5 more than standard capacity mags...so, I got that going for me. :blink::D

36 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hey, but there is a bright side. 10 rounders are only $5 more than standard capacity mags...so, I got that going for me. :blink::D

Hard to beat these prices.

https://www.glockmeister.com/

OLG

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just an added note. I saw that RifleGear had put the Marlin 1894CB on sale for $839.00 yesterday. I called them this morning and asked if I could get the sale price. They said "Yes" and gave me a $60 store credit. That's pretty cool. I will take the store credit. I need some more Glock mags. :D

WOW! That's impressive!  Way to go Pat! 

Well, I picked up my Marlin Tuesday evening and took it to the range yesterday evening. I still haven’t unpacked my reloading equipment and don’t have enough .38/.357 CAS ammo for a match right now so I bought some Blackhills .38 and .357 (same loading - 800 FPS for both) to test it out and to use at the match coming up. 

The Marlin worked very well. I put 100 rounds down range shooting .38 Special and .357. It fed nicely. No hiccups there. 

The action is a bit stiff. It will definitely need some work. It’s not bad, just not real good. 

The gun shoots 3” high at 20 yards with that ammo. Which is fine for now.

The thing that surprised me is the lever throw. It’s shorter than I expected. After a couple of magazines my fingers hurt (need to wrap that lever). The throw on this gun is shorter than my old 92 Rossi and definitely shorter than my 94’s.

I am very happy with my new toy. It just needs a little work, but it’s good enough for the upcoming match. :D

26 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What I was hoping and wanted to hear.

How about some pictures...........

Drop the rear sight 2 notches, and you'll be GTG at 20 yds.

Did you get those aftermarket parts yet?

OLG

The sight is at it's lowest setting. I forgot my iPhone when I was at the range so I didn't take photos.

I am ordering the parts this weekend.

With out Pic's .

Its just talk LOL :blink:

Just sayin .

Rooster 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The sight is at it's lowest setting. I forgot my iPhone when I was at the range so I didn't take photos.

I am ordering the parts this weekend.

IIRC-there's a 'slider' in the rear sight where the diamond is.

Just lower it.........

be80ba726e818becf6d7b561f7f19a86?AccessKeyId=47B15F3101A115627A5F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

OLG

15 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

IIRC-there's a 'slider' in the rear sight where the diamond is.

Just lower it.........

be80ba726e818becf6d7b561f7f19a86?AccessKeyId=47B15F3101A115627A5F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

OLG

Duh...Yep...and cover the diamond

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just turn it around......;)

OLG

That's right. I forgot the Marlin sight is an insert. 

PATRIOT,

you can remove the blade.  Without the blade, you will have a nice 'U' shape rear sight.

THEN, put a "Sure Hit" front sight on it and it will serve you greatly.

..........Widder

42 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

PATRIOT,

THEN, put a "Sure Hit" front sight on it and it will serve you and your aging eyes greatly.

..........Widder

There- I done fix'd it for ya..........:P

OLG

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Duh...Yep...and cover the diamond

Turn it around so the diamond faces the front sight. That way if you decide to use it for something other than CAS you will not have to replace the sight.

Just take it off completely; you'll get used to it pretty quick and won't even notice it's gone.

Yes I mean the whole rear sight. You can buy a dovetail blank/filler to put in its place.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005883063/marbles-sight-slot-blank-3-8-dovetail-steel-blue

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Just take it off completely; you'll get used to it pretty quick and won't even notice it's gone.

Yes I mean the whole rear sight. You can buy a dovetail blank/filler to put in its place.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005883063/marbles-sight-slot-blank-3-8-dovetail-steel-blue

LUMPY:  you is right.   I have the big size 'Sure Hit' front sight.

TYREL:   I agree.  Actually, neither of my Marlins have a rear sight.....nothing but the dovetail insert.

I don't miss them at all.   When I put the rifle up to Shoulder/Cheek, all I look for is that big front

sight bead and let it rip.

..........Widder

48 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

LUMPY:  you is right.   I have the big size 'Sure Hit' front sight.

TYREL:   I agree.  Actually, neither of my Marlins have a front sight.....nothing but the dovetail insert.

I don't miss them at all.   When I put the rifle up to Shoulder/Cheek, all I look for is them big rear

sight  horns and let it rip.

..........Widder

Pay attention @Tennessee williams, need to take the front sights off to be real fast 

:lol::lol::lol:

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

:P

Got news for ya. I was born with really bad eyesight. Age just enhances it for me. ;)

The bad eyesight, I mean.

When people say “You can’t hit the broadside of a barn” I say “What barn?”

Everybody always said carrots improve eyesight so I ate as much as I could to try and help my eyesight. I was brought up on animal cruelty charges. Seems rabbits were starving in 3 surrounding counties. 

I was told “You can’t even see the forest for the trees”. I have no idea what that’s all about. Seems shady to me.

:P

10 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Pay attention @Tennessee williams, need to take the front sights off to be real fast 

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, come on. You know the real secret is to close your eyes, and shoot where you think the targets are. :lol:

OLG

36 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Oh, come on. You know the real secret is to close your eyes, and shoot where you think the targets are. :lol:

OLG

Well, the real secret is to bribe the spotters :ph34r:

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Can't carry enough Bulleit for all the stages. :lol:

OLG

Gift cards...gift cards, OLG.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:48 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I picked up my Marlin Tuesday evening and took it to the range yesterday evening. I still haven’t unpacked my reloading equipment and don’t have enough .38/.357 CAS ammo for a match right now so I bought some Blackhills .38 and .357 (same loading - 800 FPS for both) to test it out and to use at the match coming up. 

The Marlin worked very well. I put 100 rounds down range shooting .38 Special and .357. It fed nicely. No hiccups there. 

The action is a bit stiff. It will definitely need some work. It’s not bad, just not real good. 

The gun shoots 3” high at 20 yards with that ammo. Which is fine for now.

The thing that surprised me is the lever throw. It’s shorter than I expected. After a couple of magazines my fingers hurt (need to wrap that lever). The throw on this gun is shorter than my old 92 Rossi and definitely shorter than my 94’s.

I am very happy with my new toy. It just needs a little work, but it’s good enough for the upcoming match. :D

Glad you went with the Marlin. You can't go wrong with that rifle!!

Hay Pat Nice Looking Rifle .

You can take a black marker and color in that trademark and serial number and then rub it with a rag .

It will blend in a lot better and Not stand out like a sore thumb . 

Just sayin .

Rooster 

2 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Hay Pat Nice Looking Rifle .

You can take a black marker and color in that trademark and serial number and then rub it with a rag .

It will blend in a lot better and Not stand out like a sore thumb . 

Just sayin .

Rooster 

It is a bit annoying isn’t it? Especially with that QR Code. That just seems wrong.

I asked the salesman at the store where I bought it if it would be against the law to obliterate that with some “engraving”. He said “I have no idea but I think I would leave it alone.”. My guess is that Marlin would use that code for tracking if you sent your rifle back for any reason. Saves time actually reading and verifying numbers, I guess.

I would love to alter it so when they scanned it they would get a readout showing that they had just scanned a can of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup. :lol:

That would be hilarious! :D

I shot the Marlin at The Cowboys match today.

It ran great...better than I did. :lol:

I shot 6 stages with .357 and 2 with .38 Special. The ammo was Black Hills “Cowboy” ammunition. 

I managed 4 clean stages, 2 with 1 miss, 1 with 2 misses and one stage went to hell in a hand basket. :blink::D 

Still, it was fun! 

The only thing I find odd about s when loading the Marlin the rounds need to be lined up just right or you go about 2/3 of the way in and the round stops against the inside of the receiver. It happens more with .357 length ammo than .38. Not a big deal, just odd. 

Highlight of the day was I got to meet and shoot with Yul Lose. Great Pard. :D

It was a beautiful day and everyone had a good safe time. That’s what it’s all about.:)

Good deal!

Yul is a kick to shoot with.

If you can 'relax' the tension on the loading gate. That will help.

May well be sharp edges that need to be corrected in the 'ramp' area into the mag tube.

The OEM mag tube spring tension is also part of the problem.

OLG

Archived