SASS Wire Forum

Stevens 411

I have been considering switching from my current hammered double to a non- hammered double due to arthritis in my hands and saw a Stevens 411 in the classified ads but have no knowledge of them. I started SASS with my old 311 which I will not shorten the long barrels on but had trouble with the lug between the barrels for reloads. Anyone got firsthand experience with the 411? Do they hold together well with our game? This one was worked on by Johnny Meadows so I would guess it's as good as it can get.

For some reason I am remembering that they were originally Baikals. When those stopped being available they were then sourced to a Turkish maker. Could be wrong, it's happened before.

Maybe you can help me out with this one. I was hopin to use it as a back up...but it has issues

I was probably 9 or 10 when my old man bought this (sometime in the 70's). At some point, he decided he wanted it to fit under the seat of his Cadillac so he and a buddy chopped it.

They cut the damn thing right at 18", crooked and even managed to replace the bead off center. I know for a fact there was whiskey involved, cause my Ma kep' me away from 'em.

stevens 311-2.jpg

Stevens 311-1.jpg

13 hours ago, Fast Freddy said:

Maybe you can help me out with this one. I was hopin to use it as a back up...but it has issues

I was probably 9 or 10 when my old man bought this (sometime in the 70's). At some point, he decided he wanted it to fit under the seat of his Cadillac so he and a buddy chopped it.

They cut the damn thing right at 18", crooked and even managed to replace the bead off center. I know for a fact there was whiskey involved, cause my Ma kep' me away from 'em.

stevens 311-2.jpg

Stevens 311-1.jpg

What kind of help do you want? The 311 in stock form doesn't open far enough for easy access of the shells and with shortened barrels it might be even worse. Also needs the replacement springs.

Yes Sir, the “help”  was wether or not this gem could be SASS legal. Extractorectomy  is all I believe it needs to comply.

I”m a sentimental sap at times (fitting alias, hmmm,) especially when it comes to guns. If it has a story, I’m a sucker for it.

Even as a newbie, I’m aware that this is a far cry from what most would consider even usable for anything other than home defense. That said, there”s several significant memories tied to this SG. Some, still vivid 40+ years later.

So...yours truly (sentimental sap),  would consider investing  some time and a little coin in it to make it “useable”.

Just a backup, backup, as I have a 97 and just purchased a fine sxs.

Archived