SASS Wire Forum

RO 1 classes for ALL?

Mustang Gregg

I think that the idea of offering the RO Courses on video has merit.   Breaking it down into a series of smaller bites would allow folks to take the course as their time permitted. They could also pull up those particular bites for review when they have a question about an issue. The goal should be nothing other than to educate our shooters. I would like t see it offered free of charge and a link posted on the SASS wire. While they are at it, it might be a good place to address the Clarifications too.

Snakebite

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having taken online classes, I see advantages and design needs. The following are a few.

1. The student can determine when to take them without giving up something, like side matches.
  2. The student can progress through them at their own pace.
  3. There is no interruption from other students to break a train of thought.
  4. The student can go over things as needed for full comprehension.
  5. If there is the ability to contact someone with questions, understanding can be enhanced. Maybe provide an email link.
  6. A well designed corresponding test will explain all incorrect answers so that the student can see the reasoning behind the right and wrong answers. This should enhance retention.

That is all that popped into my head at the moment.

For an online class you would need to have an email address, or something, available for the students to ask questions/clear up confusion.  Otherwise, it's a great idea.

BS

One of the best advantages of going to a class with others and being in the room with the instructors is the ability to have a discussion. 

It helps to understand how to interpret a rule when someone has a unique situation that needs to be worked through.

Unfortunately you would lose this ability with online classes.

But I am for any method that gets more shooters educated on the Handbook. 

On 3/5/2019 at 2:29 PM, Barry Sloe said:

Overall a great idea.  The downside is that there are so few Black pins and the number is dropping.  How do you enforce a requirement when the class is not available??

BS

I can't speak for your area, but I can say that in our area if people wanted the classes there would be instructors willing to teach them. As an instructor myself, I get tired of begging people to take a class. 

I agree that there I no reason why we cannot develop a system to train ROs online.  I will even volunteer to help with this. I have worked with other orgs in the past which have a great training program including a series of videos covering aspects of the rules and other information that the official needs to be a competent official.  The overall objective of all the learning material is broken into chapters and each chapter is broken out into videos with information.  Each of these videos is 5 to 15 minutes long consisting of slides with voiceover and video examples on the subject being covered.  At the end of each video is a short 5 question test.  A passing grade on the test is required or the video must be watched in its entirety and test retaken. 

the videos can be broken up and just completed whenever the person had time you can do one you can do 10 whatever.

18 hours ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

I can't speak for your area, but I can say that in our area if people wanted the classes there would be instructors willing to teach them. As an instructor myself, I get tired of begging people to take a class. 

Yes, there might well be instructors willing to teach people that wanted to take a class. However, one of the advantages of offering the classes on line might be that folks that Don't want to take the class (which is OBVIOUSLY the majority) might just be willing to do so if they can do it at home, when they want to do it, with no pressure or anyone watching. The ability to sit down and watch a 15-20 min segment could very well bring in large numbers of folks that would not otherwise get the training.  I think that it is a good idea.

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Yes, there might well be instructors willing to teach people that wanted to take a class. However, one of the advantages of offering the classes on line might be that folks that Don't want to take the class (which is OBVIOUSLY the majority) might just be willing to do so if they can do it at home, when they want to do it, with no pressure or anyone watching. The ability to sit down and watch a 15-20 min segment could very well bring in large numbers of folks that would not otherwise get the training.  I think that it is a good idea.

You have no argument from me regarding the value of having online classes available. I think it's a great idea. I'm willing to teach, but my goal is to have the well informed participants in the game in order to increase the consistency of calls made at matches. It would be good for the game. 

Branchwater Jack is my teaching partner and I happen to know he is highly qualified to set up an online class. If it were up to me I'd ask him and Captain Bill Burt to work together and develop it. If I had the opportunity to hire the two of them for free in my business, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

3 minutes ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

You have no argument from me regarding the value of having online classes available. I think it's a great idea. I'm willing to teach, but my goal is to have the well informed participants in the game in order to increase the consistency of calls made at matches. It would be good for the game. 

Branchwater Jack is my teaching partner and I happen to know he is highly qualified to set up an online class. If it were up to me I'd ask him and Captain Bill Burt to work together and develop it. If I had the opportunity to hire the two of them for free in my business, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

About half our tutoring business is online.  Easy to do either interactive or canned.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What are the chances the WB will sign off on have'n on-line RO classes? :huh:

OLG

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What are the chances the WB will sign off on have'n on-line RO classes? :huh:

OLG

How would SASS get their $25?

I've taken online classes where you pay in advance and then are given an access code good for three months for the class.  

For the record: I do not support RO1 training for all.  I do support online RO1 training especially if it includes videos.

24 minutes ago, Assassin said:

How would SASS get their $25?

Essentially the same way they do now.   Sell the dated pins upon completion of the course if you want to be registered with SASS as "officially" current.

3 hours ago, Nichols Creek, SASS #77627 said:

While a lot of ideas presented here have merit, the RO courses are already available on the main page under the " Shooter Handbooks" tab.  

Just a thought. 

This is true... and I don't want to get so engrossed with the Video idea that I forget that. But I really believe that a good instructor can really help to grasp things. No doubt that a in the classroom experience can be a Great benefit and I do not mean to under value the RO Instructors. It just seems that it has been an uphill battle to get folks to take the courses. I just thought that if they were available on line that it might encourage those that would not otherwise not take the course, to do so. JMO

Snakebite 

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

This is true... and I don't want to get so engrossed with the Video idea that I forget that. But I really believe that a good instructor can really help to grasp things. No doubt that a in the classroom experience can be a Great benefit and I do not mean to under value the RO Instructors. It just seems that it has been an uphill battle to get folks to take the courses. I just thought that if they were available on line that it might encourage those that would not otherwise not take the course, to do so. JMO

Snakebite 

Yes online may at some time be a option. However, it's funny when I teach a RO course the number of people that have never even read the SHB in the first place.  

32 minutes ago, Nichols Creek, SASS #77627 said:

Yes online may at some time be a option. However, it's funny when I teach a RO course the number of people that have never even read the SHB in the first place.  

I have been teaching the Courses since day one and it has always been that way. I encourage all to download and read the SHB and the RO material before they took the class. Some did, some didn't. Although it needs a little fine tuning the new SHB is a pretty good document. It could be used as a basis for a introductory training session/indoctrination for new shooters.  I may very well use it for just that.

sb  

PLUS ONE to PHANTOM  (All)   :P

And, I would like to point out ... the Handbook .... The RO 1  and the RO 2  are available, at any time, at no cost, to anyone whom can READ.  Easy to find too.  However, based on some demonstrated opinions, as shared on the SASS wire, not very many avail themselves of actual knowledge. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE to PHANTOM  (All)   :P

And, I would like to point out ... the Handbook .... The RO 1  and the RO 2  are available, at any time, at no cost, to anyone whom can READ.  Easy to find too.  However, based on some demonstrated opinions, as shared on the SASS wire, not very many avail themselves of actual knowledge. 

+1

You are right. At a state match years ago a shooter came up to to about the penalty he received.  I told him that the verbiage was in the SHB, I asked when was the last time he looked at the SHB? He told me "it was years ago" and then preceded to tell I was just like the BP who gave him the penalty a SOB. In case you are wondering it was when a shooter was not be able to pick up drop ammo. I'm thinking once he got home he went online to look at the SHB!!!!

NK

We have had many clarifications from Pale Wolfe in WTC.  It would be great to have a place on the wire where they are copied and we could make copies to place in our handbooks. 

55 minutes ago, Kirk James said:

We have had many clarifications from Pale Wolfe in WTC.  It would be great to have a place on the wire where they are copied and we could make copies to place in our handbooks. 

That has been promised for the past 10 yrs. 

Look here under the RO Corner

http://www.oowss.com/index.htm

On 3/9/2019 at 7:37 PM, Kirk James said:

Go to the SASS home page, click on Shooters Handbooks, and look under RO materials (Clarifications Archives or something like that). 

I believe that this is a fairly new addition.

BS

One aspect of the RO I and RO II courses is the time for the courses themselves.

By having an online course available, one could study the online course and the Manuals, then, at the "course meeting," have a test and discussion about the answers.  Passing the test would allow certification.

Basically, a time saver for the course, and perhaps a better meeting rather than going over material in a didactic way.

At least the members interested in certification/re-certification, would be better served, perhaps.

Members uninterested in learning the rules may not be able to be coerced in doing so.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

As much as I believe  we need a rules book. I know that  the way this book is being enforced at matches is a shame, It needs to be simplified. As it stands now the rules are subject to interpretation by the RO and MD  and the book is  full of gray areas. All the refresher classes in the world will not help if the RO1-RO2 students leave class without a clear understanding of a basic and simple set rules and  guidelines to follow . IMHO. :FlagAm:

FIX THE BOOK

24 minutes ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

As much as I believe  we need a rules book. I know that  the way this book is being enforced at matches is a shame, It needs to be simplified. As it stands now the rules are subject to interpretation by the RO and MD  and the book is  full of gray areas. All the refresher classes in the world will not help if the RO1-RO2 students leave class without a clear understanding of a basic and simple set rules and  guidelines to follow . IMHO. :FlagAm:

FIX THE BOOK

What matches are those???

I don't see rule enforcement being done in a shameful way...

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What matches are those???

I don't see rule enforcement being done in a shameful way...

Phantom

A parallel thought to what was stated is this: There are far too many WTCs. This in itself suggests that the rules are not clear. And even after PWB gives an answer there are far too many "what ifs".

How do the rules get changed? Currently,  they don't.  Anything submitted has to be voted on by a TG summit.  But since there isn't a TG summit scheduled...

And, of course, the outcome of the summit must be approved by the Wild Bunch. 

All of which leaves us with clarifications and interpretations.  

Just my nickels worth,

BS

1 hour ago, Barry Sloe said:

A parallel thought to what was stated is this: There are far too many WTCs. This in itself suggests that the rules are not clear. And even after PWB gives an answer there are far too many "what ifs".

How do the rules get changed? Currently,  they don't.  Anything submitted has to be voted on by a TG summit.  But since there isn't a TG summit scheduled...

Just my nickels worth,

BS

Can't argue with that.

But I think that we as an organization do pretty well at putting on fair competitions...

Phantom

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Can't argue with that.

But I think that we as an organization do pretty well at putting on fair competitions...

Phantom

I agree. 

BS

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
34 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

Just my nickels worth,

BS

YUP!  Thank you.:FlagAm:

4 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

Just my nickels worth,

BS

4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Can't argue with that.

Phantom

4 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

I agree. 

BS

Let's hold hands...…. I also agree.:) 

Archived