SASS Wire Forum

A bit of a dilemma

Boomstick Bruce

So, I have a bit of a dilemma. My main match guns are my pair of stainless 5.5" uberti 58 Remingtons with gated Kirst conversions and Mason ejectors in 45 Colt. I know, with what I have into them, I could have world class level Rugers. But, I like my 58s and have always wanted a stainless 5.5 58 with Kirst conversions and ejectors, now I have 2. Anyway back to my dilemma, my MMG's are my Remingtons, a 20" stainless 45 Colt interarms Rossi 92 saddle ring carbine (one of the first 2000 they ever made) and my single trigger Baikal izh-43e with a 20" Bounty Hunter 2 barrel I fitted to it. And for wild bunch my 1950 Winchester model 12 3" solid rib barrel.

My "back up guns" are a Pietta 5.5" 58 with a Taylor's drop in cylinder in 45 Colt, my Stevens 315 single trigger and my braztech Rossi 92 saddle ring carbine. And for wild bunch my back up is a 1953 Winchester 97 take down, 24" threaded barrel. 

My dilemma is, do I really need a back up to a model 12, a Baikal and a Rossi 92? That's about $1300 in guns just hanging on my gun rack collecting dust. Should I just sell them or keep them, just in case?

2 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

My dilemma is, do I really need a back up to a model 12, a Baikal and a Rossi 92? That's about $1300 in guns just hanging on my gun rack collecting dust. Should I just sell them or keep them, just in case?

Yes you do!!  You can never have too many guns!

Fortunately for me my son and daughter also shoot 44-40, so we are all our own back-up. But, when they started shooting I didn't need to buy all new guns, as they both took a pair of revolvers I already owned, my back-up shotguns, and one of them took a carbine I already had. So, it never hurts to have extra guns. I pretty much never sell a gun. Might trade for another, but never sell.  Unless you are needing the money, or are just out of room in your safe, why sell?

Looks pretty unanimous to me! 

I'm still thinking of letting the 97 go and getting another model 12... Or maybe I'll keep the 97 just in case I decide to switch from a sxs...

You need to buy more. I have 3 92s, 3 1887s, 2 SxS, and 2 each of the following revolvers

Ruger Vaqueros

1875 Remington Outlaws

1860s

1858 in 44 cal

1858 in 36 cal 

and yes I try to shoot them all at least once a year. 

Those guns are payed for so they aren't bothering anything. Use them once in a while. I like to have other model firearms available for when I feal like shooting something different. Instead of two 92s throw a 66 in the mix or a revolver with no top strap. Different guns allow for more category options.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You need to buy more. I have 3 92s, 3 1887s, 2 SxS, and 2 each of the following revolvers

Ruger Vaqueros

1875 Remington Outlaws

1860s

1858 in 44 cal

1858 in 36 cal 

and yes I try to shoot them all at least once a year. 

Geez Dave, give me some time... I'm only just now going into my 3rd season in SASS... B)

But if you want to part with those 75's one day, keep me in mind... Eventually I'll be switching to 75's...

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Sure as shootin', the day you get rid of you backups you will break a gun. Bet on it.

This is exactly what I was thinkin'..

Go ahead.. :huh: Sell one of 'em.. :huh: 

Then on stage 2 at a big match.. :huh:

watch one of yer main match guns say to itself..

"I don't think I'll werk right today.." :rolleyes:

Rance ;)

Just sayin' :mellow:

I shoot the Outlaws in NCOWS and anytime I want to shoot smokeless. 

One 92 is for NCOWS it has a 26” octagon barrel and tang sight set for 75 yards. 

Other two 92s are for CAS. One for clubs with big and close, other for smaller targets out to 40 yards. 

Don’t shoot the SxS any more since I switched to an 87. Keep them as loaners. 

One 87 is for when I want to stoke the magazine. One is my main match gun and third is a backup. 

Getting started in Frontiersman this year and will start shooting the C&B guns soon. 

Also have 45-70 Marlin, 45-70 74 Sharps, and 38-55 High wall. 

BTW I have only been at this 5 years. 

No no such thing as too many firearms. :)

7 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

So, I have a bit of a dilemma. My main match guns are my pair of stainless 5.5" uberti 58 Remingtons with gated Kirst conversions and Mason ejectors in 45 Colt. I know, with what I have into them, I could have world class level Rugers. But, I like my 58s and have always wanted a stainless 5.5 58 with Kirst conversions and ejectors, now I have 2. Anyway back to my dilemma, my MMG's are my Remingtons, a 20" stainless 45 Colt interarms Rossi 92 saddle ring carbine (one of the first 2000 they ever made) and my single trigger Baikal izh-43e with a 20" Bounty Hunter 2 barrel I fitted to it. And for wild bunch my 1950 Winchester model 12 3" solid rib barrel.

My "back up guns" are a Pietta 5.5" 58 with a Taylor's drop in cylinder in 45 Colt, my Stevens 315 single trigger and my braztech Rossi 92 saddle ring carbine. And for wild bunch my back up is a 1953 Winchester 97 take down, 24" threaded barrel. 

My simple rule is:

Don't EVER sell a gun, particularly a beat-up old one.   

Every time I've ever done it, I later regretted it.  If you're like me, your guns are like old friends.  And like old friends who pass, you'll miss them.  

7 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Keep them, they are emotional support for your other guns, you wouldn't want your other guns to be depressed would you?

Randy

When they ain't being shot they don't cost much ta Feed ...... So they's your cheapest guns ,,,,,, so ,,,,,,,,,, Ya should keep them .... And buy some more ....

Boy you's is gun poor .... I have 13 Main Match Revolvers ,,,,, and don't even get me started on Side match guns or Main Match Long guns ....

Jabez Cowboy

Remember Murphy's Law, if you can afford to keep them, keep them.  I always travel with back up, I loaned out two pistolas to my traveling partner who forgot  to pack his once....he was glad I had em.......My Rossi SXS hammered 12 ga left me high and dry at Railhead once and I shot the entire shoot with a borrowed  CZ, glad that guy from CA had a back up.....and besides if you leave guns unattended in the gun safe for 90 days, they breed and a new one appears.  

i shot a match where i went thru my MMGs and backups and ended up with a borrowed revolver and a borrowed shotgun for my last stage , yes - it was a bad couple days , no - i never leave home anymore without my backups , it can mean the difference of finishing a match or going home with a really bad taste of dust in your mouth , 

Let's see, in my safes I have the following...

Pistols:  13 .45's

5 .44-40s

2 .44 Specials

1 .44 Magnum

2 .44-40/.44 Special dual cylinders

3 .38 Long Colt

1 .38 S&W

2 .32-20

2  7.65 Nagant

Rifles:   2 .45s

3 .44-40s

3 .32-20's

1 56-50 Spencer

2 .44 Magnums

Shotguns:  5 12 Gauge

So, in my opinion, you don't have enough guns.

8 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

@H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 you need 1 more  .45 pistol.

I keep arguing with myself about that.   If I could find a Mass Compliant Cimarron Artillery Model on the used market, I'd grab one to fill a hole in my military collection.   But beyond that, I don't really want to get "just another" .45.    I was already at the point with 12, but then I found this...

560336550_DesMoinesRevolver.jpg.77fd6b87dbd1fcc649ff689f29904d02.jpg

...which brought be back to an odd number.   But it was just too irresistible.    Gonna use it at the Tri-State in June.  :)   Considering a pair of mammoth ivory grips for it that I found.    I don't like the look of pearl.

Actually, I'd like to have 1 or 2 more rifles in .45, 1 in .44 Special, another pistol in .44 Magnum and .44 Special, 1 in .38 S&W and 3 more pistols in .32-20.

It seems that the collection is never complete.

19 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Let's see, in my safes I have the following...

Pistols:  13 .45's

5 .44-40s

2 .44 Specials

1 .44 Magnum

2 .44-40/.44 Special dual cylinders

3 .38 Long Colt

1 .38 S&W

2 .32-20

2  7.65 Nagant

Rifles:   2 .45s

3 .44-40s

3 .32-20's

1 56-50 Spencer

2 .44 Magnums

Shotguns:  5 12 Gauge

So, in my opinion, you don't have enough guns.

Considering the political climate today, I don't think I would ever list or enumerate my safe contents, particularly not on the web.  

Just t sayin. 

If you don't have your back up and your main match guns breaks during a monthly shoot, it's no big deal. Lesson learned. BUT if you break your main match guns in a major match, well lesson learned too, Soooo keep you back ups.  Shoot them back ups once in a while. 

DDD: you have 2 Nagants? I'm impressed. I have had one for over 20 years and still haven't shot it!

Yep.    Got both of 'em for under a hundred bucks.   When I first got my Curio & Relic FFL, everyone was advertising them for about 60 to 70 bucks, so I got one.   Then a few years later I decided I wanted a second one.   By this time, they were starting to become more scarce, not everyone still had them, but they were still cheap, so I got another one.    I got the Lee dies that let you reform .32-20 brass into a kind of short version of the Nagant round, minus the gas seal, and found them to be pleasant shooters.   I plan to shoot a match with them this year.   Fun little guns.    But, I have yet to find an RO that will let me load 6, leaving the hammer down on the empty 7th chamber, and then load my 5 shot M&H with 4 to have the full 10 rounds.   :)   Just remember, load 1, skip 2, load 4.

".. didn't know guns could go out like they come in. Almost none of mine ever leave once I have them..."

i have bought and sold too many to count and i swore i would not do that when i started , i have kept those that count and i count on , but yes some can go , 

that said i really dont let go of those i intentionally bought to keep , i admit to buying some i thought were fun and later learned were not so much , we all do our thing , i try not to do the buy/sell thing any more 

Archived