SASS Wire Forum

New Vaquero spring seat to replace the hammer lock

Mustang Gregg

Waiting for the chance to try.  Good points are it is cheap and easy to work with. Bad side it is not steel and it only available in 4 ft lengths, but if it works I will have enough to make plenty...…  Thanks OLG           GW

I took out the lock, knocked out the pins holding the two sides together, removed all of the lock mechanism and put the sides back together, locktighting the pins back in place.

I also drilled and tapped the lock body from the bottom and use the screw as a hammer stop.

In the pictures it is a little hard to see the end of the set screw coming up from the bottom.  The lock body is very hard, so you might have to use a carbide drill if you do this.

58A446EA-90E6-47A9-8939-A1BEA49E3137.jpeg

8BBCDC19-A456-479E-89AC-52105C5A8E2B.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

I took out the lock, knocked out the pins holding the two sides together, removed all of the lock mechanism and put the sides back together, locktighting the pins back in place.

I also drilled and tapped the lock body from the bottom and use the screw as a hammer stop.

In the pictures it is a little hard to see the end of the set screw coming up from the bottom.  The lock body is very hard, so you might have to use a carbide drill if you do this.

58A446EA-90E6-47A9-8939-A1BEA49E3137.jpeg

8BBCDC19-A456-479E-89AC-52105C5A8E2B.jpeg

Nicely done, Sir     great idea + creating a hammer stop         GW

Archived