SASS Wire Forum

First Cowboy Action Shooting Event!

David Balthazar

I've been a shooter for over 35 years and I have to tell you that was just a lot of dang fun!! 

To be so far out of my element as far as firearms manipulation and carriage was just plain exciting!

We were up against the local cowboy cadre of over 20 shooters, with myself and Brother Nelson Balthazar taking 2nd, and 1st place duelists (respectively) with me taking 4rth traditional. 

I paid for it mostly with my 1873 rifle and not knowing it's proper zero at 75 yards (sailed two .45 slugs over the steel twice till I checked zero) and then had a big fat miss or two during each stage on the Texas star causing a fit of reloading on my part (where do I slam the fresh magazine?! :ph34r:)

Overall, met a lot of super nice people and can't wait to do it again! 

That's what I try to tell folks that shoot other disciplines. Glad you tried it for yourself. Not having the correct POI is far too common in SASS IMO so you aren't alone. Get the rifle sighted in for maybe 12 - 15 yards and the pistols for 7-10 and you'll be fine. The rifle is easy and worst case you might need a taller front sight but the pistols require some filing and I think that's why so many choose to shoot pistols that hit too low. 

Big mistake IMO.....but glad you enjoyed it...….you'll be better prepared next time.

16 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Glad you liked it. Did I understand you were shooting at rifle targets 75 yards out in a SASS match?

Not in GA...…..there you have to take the 5 off the back...….:D

Welcome aboard David Balthazar, you have now joined the best game and folks goin.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

2 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Not in GA...…..there you have to take the 5 off the back...….:D

Everything is bigger in Texas!

Duffield

4 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

I've been a shooter for over 35 years and I have to tell you that was just a lot of dang fun!! 

Overall, met a lot of super nice people and can't wait to do it again! 

Welcome to the fire! Hope you can make it up to Las Cruces and shoot sometime!:)

7 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Welcome to the fire! Hope you can make it up to Las Cruces and shoot sometime!:)

Definitely!

And yes, the bonus target was steel at approximately 70-75 yards, and you could rest and take your time from the table if you choose.  I am 3 inches high at 15 yards with 250 grain slugs that if they make over 550 fps out of my 18 inch barrel--I'd be amazed.  I *assumed* that at that range, the pill would drop right to where it belonged, but nope, center mass sent it sailing right over the berm at the 100 :wacko: (luckily there is miles and miles of Ft. Bliss desert behind it).

So now I "know" at any distance significant I need to aim lower, or drive the front blade lower into the rear V notch!

Archived