SASS Wire Forum

Major Design Flaw

Subdeacon Joe

8 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Compares to a newsman on a firing range, saying he was going full semi auto...I am still trying figure that one out...

I go full semi auto all the time, just not with my cowboy guns.

8 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Compares to a newsman on a firing range, saying he was going full semi auto...I am still trying figure that one out...

Texas Lizard

It wasn't the newsman, it was  retired Army Lt. General Mark Hertling, who used the phrase. A U.S. Military Academy graduate, among other things, he should know better. 

I wonder how many $ Millions was spent on that study. All they had to do was take a model airplane with no fuel in it, toss it up in the air, and see what happens. Some people have the intelligence of a lawn chair.

You can glide with empty fuel tanks all the way to the crash site.

3 hours ago, Smoken D said:

I wonder how many $ Millions was spent on that study. All they had to do was take a model airplane with no fuel in it, toss it up in the air, and see what happens. Some people have the intelligence of a lawn chair.

My lawn chair just saw that. It wants an apology.

3 hours ago, Smoken D said:

They are the smarter ones.

7 hours ago, Smoken D said:

don't be insulting lawn chairs like that

20 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Image may contain: one or more people and text

I believe they determined that is correct by other flying objects! For example, the X-15 and the Space Shuttle orbiters had NO fuel tanks.  Glide ration of a brick.  Yet, for the most part they landed without incident. (Not including Challenger and Columbia, of course! :(

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My lawn chair just saw that. It wants an apology.

One smart lawn chair, I apologize. :P

7 hours ago, Noz said:

You can glide with empty fuel tanks all the way to the crash site.

And you can beat the first responders there by at least 15 minutes. :P

And the MSM people wonder why you and I are looking ...........strangely at reporters and their "News".

On 3/5/2019 at 7:24 AM, DocWard said:

It wasn't the newsman, it was  retired Army Lt. General Mark Hertling, who used the phrase. A U.S. Military Academy graduate, among other things, he should know better. 

He will forever be

General Full Semi-Automatic.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:47 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Well when compared to the Model 7 :wacko:

image.thumb.png.f352aef31f019bb21acab41654b4c436.png

Aeronca Model 7 Champion that is.

When compared to this Model 7 it glides surprising well :D

I had a 1946 Aeronca 7AC,  when the tank was empty it would loose altitude but it did it VERY slowly.  As a matter of fact, it did everything very slowly!

Blackfoot:D

14 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

if the X-15 had no fuel tanks where did they store the engine's fuel?  pilot's boots?

I misspoke. Of course the X-15 had tanks for the liquid ammonia and liquid oxygen.  However, when these were empty, or nearly so, on completion of its rocket engine firing, the plane became a "glider" and was landed deadstick.  When the Shuttle fuel/oxidizer tank was emptied (or nearly so...they used some residual oxygen to tumble it into a destructive reentry path) and it deorbited and reentered the atmosphere, it became a glider.  Neither bird had the capability to "go around" in the event of a "missed approach" to landing.

Archived