SASS Wire Forum

Rifle sights for Plainsman match

During a recent discussion on this forum there was some brief comments about what is a legal sight for the rifle used in plainsman. The SASS rules are clear that receiver sights are not allowed. The comment was that the factory or similar (such as those made by Skinner sights) barrel mounted peep style sight used on the H&R 1871 buffalo classic are NOT allowed. It looks like fun shooting plainsman and I have a 38-55 H&R that I would like to try out in a match.  I am also interested in what rifles shooters are using for this. I have seen a few videos of shooters with trapdoors doing an impressive job of loading and putting lead down range. 

Sights for the plainsman rifle follow same rules as for a main match rifle, I believe.

Rules from SHB version 22.3

RIFLE

* Tang mounted rear sights may utilize changeable peep apertures and eyecups.

* No bolt or receiver mounted sight is permitted.

* Dovetails may be milled in the barrel for sight replacement.

* Beech style front sights and sight hoods are allowed.

* Front sights may include a bead or insert of steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver. The bead or insert shall be the color of the material.

* Rear sights may utilize an insert of the same color as the rear sight to allow easy sight adjustment.

* Ramp style front sights are allowed if original to the firearm.

* Modern style click adjustable barrel or receiver sights are not allowed.

(page 35)

That last item from the list should confirm for you that a click-adjustable barrel sight is not allowed.  And since peep apertures are called out as legal ONLY for tang-mounted rear sights, that even rules out a fixed peep sight on barrel.

The only extra rule that Plainsman rifles must follow is from the short Plainsman section:

Must use a SASS–legal single-shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-30). The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are standard for that rifle. .38 Special is legal

(page 29)

No extra allowances for barrel mounted peep sights found there, is there?

So, no barrel mounted peeps.

Good luck, GJ

The Plainsman match is eclectic regarding single shot rifles.  There are sharps, rolling blocks, trapdoors and buffalo classics.  Calibers range fro 50-90 to 38 Special.  It's a hoot.  Some say it is more of a social event for black powder shooters than a competitive match.  It's a chance to get some old firearms out and have a good time.  Those who just bought their cap and ball revolvers and did not prep them for competition often quit the match when their revolvers run poorly.

55 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Sights for the plainsman rifle follow same rules as for a main match rifle, I believe.

Rules from SHB version 22.3

That last item from the list should confirm for you that a click-adjustable barrel sight is not allowed.  And since peep apertures are called out as legal ONLY for tang-mounted rear sights, that even rules out a fixed peep sight on barrel.

The only extra rule that Plainsman rifles must follow is from the short Plainsman section:

No extra allowances for barrel mounted peep sights found there, is there?

So, no barrel mounted peeps.

Good luck, GJ

GJ--- I understand where you're coming from here, but it doesn't say that barrel mounted peeps are illegal--just that tang peeps are. Do you know why the barrel mounted one would not be legal. It also says a dovetail can be added to the barrel for a sight and doesn't say you can't use a peep in that situation either.  Just asking as I'm clueless and this Plainsman and long range are all new to me. Thanks in advance.     EH

The rear sight rules for LR sidematches also apply to "Plainsman"

Rear sights must either be open iron sights mounted on the barrel or original style tang or stock wrist mounted peep sights.  Long range rear barrel mounted sights of the flip-up ladder type may use a peephole drilled through the sliding sight leaf.  An example of this is the various ladder type sights used on the Springfield trapdoors.

- Bolt or receiver mounted sights are not allowed. 

SHB p.31

14 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

GJ--- I understand where you're coming from here, but it doesn't say that barrel mounted peeps are illegal--just that tang peeps are. Do you know why the barrel mounted one would not be legal. It also says a dovetail can be added to the barrel for a sight and doesn't say you can't use a peep in that situation either.  Just asking as I'm clueless and this Plainsman and long range are all new to me. Thanks in advance.     EH

REF: SHB p.33 - SECTION 6 – FIREARM COVENANTS 

39 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

REF: SHB p.33 - SECTION 6 – FIREARM COVENANTS 

So am I correct in that if a barrel mounted peep isn't mentioned then it is illegal? I don't see any mention on pages 31 or 33 that refer specifically to a barrel mounted peep, only receiver mounted. I may be just being blind however.;)  And don't forget---my last name ends in "ski" :o

17 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I'd suggest the Smith Enterprises Ladder sight.  The sight also includes a mount for Handi Rifle.  Brownells.

CC- do you know what model that would be? I just went to Brownell's sight and the only Smith ladder I could find was a dovetail mount for an 1895 type rifle. They are not cheap! Almost the cost of my H&R!

In my on line image of the Brownells catalogue, it's on page 10.  The sight is titled a Long Range Sight and is shown mounted on a "block."  The specs also list it as a "drop on" for an H&R.

PS;  Forgot ..... the sight ain't cheap.  But it is really really good.

Yes - although the part# on the bag did not have the WB on the end of it. Plus - my Handi Rifle needs a taller frt. sight in order to use the Smith sight.

Replacing both might be a bit pricey. Maybe better to sell & replace.:P The rifle that is!

50 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Replacing both might be a bit pricey. Maybe better to sell & replace.:P The rifle that is!

No experience with N.E. Plainsman rifle targets. Around here, E. Texas, stock open sights on the Handi Rifle hit well out to 75 yds which is plenty good for our shoots. You could just get a Williams or Marble leaf rear sight & play with that for a bit for reasonable cost.

3 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

No experience with N.E. Plainsman rifle targets. Around here, E. Texas, stock open sights on the Handi Rifle hit well out to 75 yds which is plenty good for our shoots. You could just get a Williams or Marble leaf rear sight & play with that for a bit for reasonable cost.

I think you're right. That would be the best plan for Plainsman. It's the long range side matches that I think I'm in jeopardy. For this year I may just shoot them as "Just for Fun" and hopefully won't irritate anyone.;) Still working out how to load light for Plainsman, one thing at a time I guess. I would still need to as you stated---get a buckhorn type for the rear. Stock is a Williams Peep, but not like the one shown above in SD's post. So much to learn, but so much fun. Thanks guys.

The Williams blade sight is what I have in mine (along with some nice brass hardware)

Thanks to Chili Pepper Pete who turned me onto the sights.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

blade sight.jpg

HR brass.jpg

Archived