SASS Wire Forum

WTC double cocking GF

Hoss

39 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Capt,

And YES, I always tell the spotters what I am about to do before starting the stage.   It makes a good

side show.

..........Widder

Widder,

Why do you tell the spotters beforehand and what happens if you don't tell them? If it's to avoid confusion, I think that's the point Blast Materson and myself were referring to. At times a GF can cause confusion.

Yes it does create a good side show!

Thanks,

Tully

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

Widder,

Why do you tell the spotters beforehand and what happens if you don't tell them? If it's to avoid confusion, I think that's the point Blast Materson and myself were referring to. At times a GF can cause confusion.

Yes it does create a good side show!

Thanks,

Tully

Tully,

This might be hard to believe, but I'm a better GF with movement of my pistols, more so than just dumping or

following a straight line of shooting.   So in effect, this type scenario is the best way for me.

I can't help when folks are confused.   I've seen confused spotters as much with a top notch Traditional shooter

more so than a GF.    Plus, I play the game as a game and informing the spotters is just a common curtesy whenever

I'm going to shoot against the norm. 

I respect the spotters in that they are trying to make good, correct calls.

It don't bother me to help them in their attempt to give me a correct call.

..........Widder

13 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Tully,

This might be hard to believe, but I'm a better GF with movement of my pistols, more so than just dumping or

following a straight line of shooting.   So in effect, this type scenario is the best way for me.

I can't help when folks are confused.   I've seen confused spotters as much with a top notch Traditional shooter

more so than a GF.    Plus, I play the game as a game and informing the spotters is just a common curtesy whenever

..........Widder

This!

Tully,

I might also add that this shooting sequence requires no crossovers or lead changes.

Its really quite simple if your brain is mis-wired (:D) for it.

..........Widder

25 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Tully,

I might also add that this shooting sequence requires no crossovers or lead changes.

Its really quite simple if your brain is mis-wired (:D) for it.

..........Widder

I agree.

51 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Tully,

..........Widder

Absolutely. Hopefully I didn't come off as not respecting the spotters, that wasn't my intent. Many times I find it best to tell everyone before shooting the stage of my intentions, rather than explain myself afterwards. 

Thanks,

Tully

1 hour ago, Blast Masterson said:

That is exactly what I got called on which I mentioned in one of my first posts. All traditional shooters shot before me, I got called on it when I didn't shoot it in a sweep like everyone else. By the way, the TO corrected all the spotters.

That may just be just because the shooter is shooting an out of the norm sequence from what everybody else shot. Im a duelist and shoot that scenario different from GFs and traditionalists both. It gets called on me too. 

Prior to shooting the stage, Gunfighters should declare to the Timer Operator their intended option for shooting their revolvers.  There is no penalty if the Gunfighter changes his or her option after declaring their intent.  See Gunfighter shooting options in this material.   

RO2 p.6

Ever notice how Palewolf is usually the stopsign for a thread? I think its his super power. It's kinda like when your Momma used to get the switch out, the misbehaving came to a very quick stop!

His above quote is probably a good idea for anybody shooting a sequence different from the norm. 

I think it's a good idea to clue the spotters/RO into what you're about to do, especially if most everyone else is shooting the stage another way.

I shoot my long guns left handed and will often run a stage in the opposite direction of most others. If officials expect you to be shooting a stage one way (because everyone else is) and you deviate from how it's been shot by several others, they are taken by surprise and (most likely) miss the beginning of what you have started to do. If officials expect that you will be running the stage differently from others (either because they are watching for this or have been made aware by you) they are most likely ready for it and not caught off-guard. Better for you

On 3/4/2019 at 6:51 AM, Cowboy Junky said:

I don't care how "fast" anyone shoots....more power to them. But the rules say you can't and it's really for good reason. If you stand behind a shooter that's double cocking and doing it fast 9 times out of 10 no one knows what happened. Good spotters or bad spotter's usually ends up the same. How do you really score for that. Heck we hear a lot of complaints about getting good spotter's the way it is......you really want to put them to the test try spotting for these folks. 

Many times they just try to hear 10 dings and call them clean.

I think double cocking should be outlawed, makes it easier for all concerned, it has become an extremely grey area. IMHO.Just sayin, & I'm ducking!!:D:D

It is a tough situation......and I get that the game evolves but sometimes that evolution isn't always good. Even now we barely see stages with less than 10 rifle, if you have split pistols many complain and even split shotgun has kinda' gone away. 

I get that most of us are getting older and like fast stage times but I hate the sport turn into cowboy fast draw with 4 guns where we just stand in front of a target and paint it with lead as fast as we can. 

No matter if it's legal or not it's still hard to spot for even with great spotters. Maybe we can change the rules to where if you fire 10 rounds you don't have to hit the targets or follow the order if you shoot gunfighter? That's a JOKE......and I'm ducking behind Jackaroo just in case……..lol

Simultaneous shooting of two pistols = Problem

Simultaneous cocking of two pistols = No Problem

Spotters watching pistols in hands of Gunfighters = Problem

Spotters focused on watching pistol targets = No Problem

20 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

where we just stand in front of a target and paint it with lead as fast as we can. 

Where are you all finding these stages? 

34 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Where are you all finding these stages? 

Tyrel,

I think ole Junky was just using that as an example of the speeds some shooters have acquired......and when a GF starts

'painting the targets with lead' with 2 brushes at the same time, its hard to tell which brush made the first stroke... ;)

P.S. - ya don't have to worry about that with TN Williams cause he can't paint..... :lol:

..........Widder

Archived