SASS Wire Forum

A couple filler Q's

Eyesa Horg

1. When using fillers with BP, after being loaded thru a drop tube ( the BP ) do you need to allow for more than the usual 1/16 to 1/18" compression when filler is added. I presume the filler would compress more than the BP below it.?

2. I have heard from a couple folks that corn cob or walnut media should not be used as a filler as it will cause barrel wear. Any truth to this? I was thinking walnut media would likely be less apt to absorb moisture as compared to cereal.

EH

34 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Stop using the drop tube and see what's, what in height.

What granulation are you using?

Is the REAL BP, or that wanna-B stuff.

What caliber?

OLG

45-70 w/2f Graf's real BP. OLG--Haven't actually loaded any yet as I want to do it right the first time;). My impression has been to use a drop tube for the BP. Expect to use reduced load for Plainsman in the 40-45 grain range by volume. I've only tried smokyless so far and as you said previously the recoil isn't that bad with trapdoor type loads. I'm shooting a H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic and fortunately my club will allow the barrel mounted rear sight.

20 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Toss the drop tube, use Lizard Litter with a dab of Crisco and fire away. 

Lookin' like I built a nice looking drop tube for nuttin" :o

Good to hear, that will be later. Would've hated to have a drop tube for nothing! Working on light gallery type loads now! Some have suggested 40-45 grn. BP with a .457 round ball for Plainsman.

5 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Another question about filler:  What's the best way for loading the filler?  If using say, cream of wheat or grits?  Thanks.

I have a Lee Powder measure set up next to my Lyman BP powder measure. Drop BP first then drop filler on top.

Now would be the time to anneal the case mouths.

How far below the case mouth, is the powder height when you fill the case without the drop tube?

How much of the bullet goes inside the case?

Save that drop tube......

OLG

I'm confused. The drop tube is usually used in order to get more BP in the case. If you are adding filler it seems like a waste of time and effort.

I have an interest in shooting plainsman. I see mentioned from Elysa that his club allows the barrel mounted sight. I did not see in the SASS rules any restrictions on rifle sights. Do some club restrict the type of rifle sight?

i have a buffalo classic in 38-55 with the barrel sight that I would like to use.

any good sources of information on shooting plainsman that would help a new shooter?

18 minutes ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

I have an interest in shooting plainsman. I see mentioned from Elysa that his club allows the barrel mounted sight. I did not see in the SASS rules any restrictions on rifle sights. Do some club restrict the type of rifle sight?

i have a buffalo classic in 38-55 with the barrel sight that I would like to use.

any good sources of information on shooting plainsman that would help a new shooter?

Read the Shooters Handbook.

Receiver sights are NOT allowed.

10 minutes ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

As with main match or long range rifles, receiver sights are not allowed, but tang, wrist or barrel mounted sights are acceptable if they are styled appropriately.   

2 minutes ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

TC, in his comment Eyesa mention his club allow BARREL mounted sights.  I believe this is the factory sight on the HR buffalo classic and is legal for SASS rules ?

I don't believe the factory HR sights are legal because they are peep sights, but I can't find proof of that at the moment; just based on memory.

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

45-70 w/2f Graf's real BP. OLG--Haven't actually loaded any yet as I want to do it right the first time;). My impression has been to use a drop tube for the BP. Expect to use reduced load for Plainsman in the 40-45 grain range by volume. I've only tried smokyless so far and as you said previously the recoil isn't that bad with trapdoor type loads. I'm shooting a H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic and fortunately my club will allow the barrel mounted rear sight.

How do you compare weight to volume?

How do you compare convert weight to volume?

By using known density figures for your powder.   Capt George Baylor's BP instruction site has that density data for many BP and substitute powders.

So, formula for weight to volume equivalent:

Weight in grains / density (in grains per cubic centimeter) = Volume (in cubic centimeters - same "CC" as the plastic Lee powder measures sizing)

Or use the conversion table Capt Baylor publishes:

Conversion Sheet

Good luck, GJ

9 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

By using known density figures for your powder.   Capt George Baylor's BP instruction site has that density data for many BP and substitute powders.

So, formula for weight to volume equivalent:

Weight in grains / density (in grains per cubic centimeter) = Volume (in cubic centimeters - same "CC" as the plastic Lee powder measures sizing)

Or use the conversion table Capt Baylor publishes:

Conversion Sheet

Good luck, GJ

Cool!  Thanks!

15 hours ago, German Jim said:

How do you compare weight to volume?

I've simply measured out several charges in my muzzle loader measure and weighed them to get an average weight. Seems to work for me.

16 hours ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

16 hours ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

TC, in his comment Eyesa mention his club allow BARREL mounted sights.  I believe this is the factory sight on the HR buffalo classic and is legal for SASS rules ?

16 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I don't believe the factory HR sights are legal because they are peep sights, but I can't find proof of that at the moment; just based on memory.

The sight I'm referring to is the factory Williams peep sight that is barrel mounted. I've been told this sight is illegal. Is it now possibly legal for long range & plainsman? Don't quite understand why a peep on the barrel would be any advantage over one on the tang, but I'm very new to this.

23 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The sight I'm referring to is the factory Williams peep sight that is barrel mounted. I've been told this sight is illegal. Is it now possibly legal for long range & plainsman? Don't quite understand why a peep on the barrel would be any advantage over one on the tang, but I'm very new to this.

From what I understand the Williams peep sight is illegal regardless of where it is mounted. Check with your match director, he may very well allow it.

36 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've simply measured out several charges in my muzzle loader measure and weighed them to get an average weight. Seems to work for me.

When you get serious about long range(500+yds)shoot'n. You will start weighing the charge.

OLG

Well .... Iffin you selected propellant charge doesn't fill the case, your drop tube is superfluous.  Unless your trying to make up a wallopalouza load, that dry tube is just a really big soda straw.  There are all sorts of fancy methods for "Weight vs Volume" loading and quoting propellant charges by volume.  Volume works because it BP, not smokeless.  However the easiest way to get weight is is simply weigh your favorite volume of of powder and write it down.  If your using scoops, weight is "who cares."  If your setting up your Dillon Powder measure, once you get it set for the correct amount, weight again becomes "who cares."  I shoot an H&R Handi in 38-55.  I shoot it with APP.  I simply load the APP to the base of the bullet and I'm done.  My projectile is the EPP-UG-38 which weighs 90Gr.  

For general loading I use Cream-0-Wheat.  Cream-0-Wheat doesn't compress.  So, if your loading real BP, normal level of powder plus filler and you will get compression. 

The barrel mounted peep sight ain't legal for plainsman.  I would suggest the Smith Enterprises (Brownells) ladder sight with the attached Handi mount is the Biz.  Plainsman is superb FUN

44 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

When you get serious about long range(500+yds)shoot'n. You will start weighing the charge.

OLG

Thanks OLG--- I was aware of that. My original post that sparked the question of weight measure was due to my specifically saying by volume so no-one would misunderstand the quantity I was wanting to use. Much Obliged.

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Thanks OLG--- I was aware of that. My original post that sparked the question of weight measure was due to my specifically saying by volume so no-one would misunderstand the quantity I was wanting to use. Much Obliged.

Would be good to look at a Postel or Creedmoor type bullet for the LR stuff.

OLG

Archived