SASS Wire Forum

Traeger Grill - Got me one!

Pat Riot

I decided to treat us to a new grill. New home - new grill.

We we’re at Costco and they were having a “Traeger Road Show”. I bought a Traeger Junior Elite 20 with the new control box with temp probe for $359.00 a couple of weeks ago. We assembled it yesterday and this morning I did the initial fire up and seasoning. Later today I am going to smoke 2 whole chickens using the Traeger chicken seasoning and the instructions given by the salesman and confirmed in the recipe book.

Man, I am looking forward to using this baby. :D

There are some great recipes in their cookbook. They even have baking recipes. I have had salmon and steelhead from a Traeger. That was fantastic. Since I quit eating fish (gout :o) I will be sticking to smoked / grilled meats. Chicken, pork and beef.

Do any of you have a smoker grill? What’s your favorite recipes?

Pat (what’s trolling for ideas) Riot ;)

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Do any of you have a smoker grill? What’s your favorite recipes?

I love homemade deep dish pizza:D. But several things that would normally be "baked" inside are completely transformed into a spectacular dish out on the grill.

Congratulations, Pat Riot, you made a great decision and that was a very good price. I’ve had my Traeger for 15 years and it’s still going strong. You’ll replace a Hot Rod (igniter) once in awhile so keep one around, they usually go out on Sundays or holidays when the dealer isn’t open. I got my last one on Amazon.

Prime rib on a Traeger is devine, as is everything else. You’ll find it’s pretty hard to screw up anything that you cook on your grill. When I smoke ribs I like to cut the slab of ribs into to half slabs and use the rib racks that stand them up on their sides for smoking. Anymore I even grill all of our hamburger patties on the Traeger the old Weber is pretty lonely anymore.

Great choice, PR.  You will really enjoy it.  I've had a Traeger for several years now.  Love it.  I'll have to take a look at my recipe stash and post some of my better ones.  Believe it or not, I made smoked garlic cheese bread on it.  Very tasty. 

Good luck and congrats on your new grill.

We've had a Camp Chef for a number of years and love it here in AZ and a Pit Boss in SD, my favorite meal is Salmon on the grill. Quick and delicious, smoke it to 145 degrees and it's perfect.. Brisket is next. 

Thank you all very much. 

As I write this I have 2 whole chickens on the grill. I will let you know how they turn out.  I am so hungry right now my stomach thinks my throat’s been cut. Still have about 45 minutes to go. :D

Dorado (Mahi-Mahi) fillets on the Traeger, steamed asparagus and millet with onions and jalapeños. That’s what’s for dinner.

87611098-8947-4D78-9570-027E78E1BCDC.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you all very much. 

As I write this I have 2 whole chickens on the grill. I will let you know how they turn out.  I am so hungry right now my stomach thinks my throat’s been cut. Still have about 45 minutes to go. :D

Time's about up Pat--so what's the verdict?

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Time's about up Pat--so what's the verdict?

They came out great! After dinner it dawned on me that I didn’t take a photo of my chickens. 

Next time, more smoke and I will get a picture. They did come out very good. 

Archived