SASS Wire Forum

Which 1886 to choose?

Cannon

I'm really considering to purchase a newly made 1886. As far as I can tell Winchester, Chiappa and Pedersoli are the options I have. I'm not considering the Brownings because for some reason they are somewhat collectable. I wouldn't be afraid to take whichever out on a hunt, in reality it would be shot a few times a year at cowboy shoots. The top of the heap for me right now is the Pedersoli Far West 1886 (S.738-457). It has the fancy checkered black walnut stock, CCH and bluing. On gunbroker there are several of the 71230 models from Pedersoli that have a pistol grip and look nice, but they are not actually the Far West rifle as far as I can tell. A lot of sellers are using the stock Far West picture in representation of the 71230. Does anyone have some real experience with the Far West rifle? Is it really that fancy and deluxe? Is it different than the other model?

Out of everything I'd really like a 26" rifle with a pistol grip stock, CCH and a full length tube. It's for looks as much as performance to me. I don't want to buy a fancy rifle that doesn't really perform in function or accuracy. I don't mind a little tweaking either, I just don't want a real lemon!

Just curious to read if anyone has some real world experience that can help my decision. If someone was so inclined to share pictures of a real Far West rifle I'd give them my email address if they would rather not post.

Far West Stock Picture (S.738-457)-

18565.jpg

71230 -

pix511805029.jpg

I am not very familiar with the modern made 86's except in the following generic ways...

1.  The Winchester has a safety.   (Bad thing, in my mind)

2.  I have never handled a Chiappa 86, but I have had the pleasure of the handling a Chiappa 92.  These are very well made, as smooth as a vintage Winchester, and don't have any foolish "modern features" like some others do.   If their 86's are of comparable quality, that would be a direction to look.

3.  The Uberti you have is very pretty.  :)  I assume it's an Uberti cuz that's what it says on the box.

You said you did not want a Browning because they are "collectable."   Well, okay, but I feel the purpose of any gun it is be used.   I've heard that the Brownings are good guns, and if they are, that makes them worth considering. 

Also worth considering is something like this....

86.jpg.a0df39160e2adb82739a14c7575f6308.jpg

This is an honest to goodness Winchester 86 made in 1890 something.   I got it for $1700.   Yes, I real 86, in .45-70 for less than 2 grand.  How?  Well, when I found the gun, someone had turned the magazine into button one by taking a hacksaw to the original, and filling in the notch that holds the barrel band.  Also, the barrel has been (very expertly) cut to the current 20" length.  In other words, it's "collector" value had been ruined, but it's still a great shooter.   I got a new full length magazine, and the rest is history.   So in other words, don't rule out a real Winchester.  You may have to look long and hard, but you just might find something affordable.

H.K. - Thanks for the advice. Your original is a great looking rifle! 

The only reason I'm really ruling out a Browning is because I just don't see the price difference when I could buy a Miroku Winchester that's new. Were the Browning's made by Miroku as well? Not sure on that.

I'm kinda hung up on getting a pistol grip rifle as well. That might change as I'm in no hurry. 

The Uberti picture I got from gunbroker is actually a Pedersoli rifle. I may be wrong on that. I'm fairly certain the Uberti's are actually made by Pedersoli. 

The Brownings were made by Miroku and are siblings to the modern Winchesters, although without the tang safety. I got one last year at an LGS for less than eight hundred bucks (don’t remember the price exactly but it started with a seven). It has a nick on the muzzle and on the underside of the butt stock, both so faint that I didn’t notice them until I got it home. Other than that it appeared to be unshot. Needless to say I’m not afraid to shoot it now and it functions like a dream. Deals are out there to be had. Chance favors the prepared mind.

Keep yer eyes peeled.

That's a great deal from your LGS Lead Friend! I'll definitely keep them in mind. :)

I suppose there are some bargains out there to be had. I'll keep it slowed down on the purchase.

The Far West rifle though... Is it kinda like the difference in an SKB 100 or 200? The wood on the Far West rifle from Pedersoli looks really fancy and finished like glass. In the description it says "Hand select Black Walnut." The other is just Walnut pistol grip.

I have handled a Pedersoli 1886 or 2 at different Cabela's and they were all very, very nice rifles for what it's worth. No experience with the other brands.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the advice. I have a 1885 High Wall in 45/70 right now. I've shot a pretty decent mixture of loads and power through it at different times. It has the crescent butt plate and I really don't mind it too much. I'm not planning on going after grizzly bears or anything. :) I know I could do something like that probably, just not in my plans.

I've actually been on a year or so long journey casting bullets for the high wall. I've got a few pretty good loads for it right now with Herco powder and that's kinda what has me all fired up for an 86'. I'm shooting a Lyman 405 powder coated and it shoots pretty amazing with low recoil at 1185 fps.

I own the Pedersoli 1886 and am very happy with it (the Uberti 1886 is the Pedersoli sold under licence in the USA).

I did change out the rear sight for a Lyman 66WB (not SASS legal) but you could probably find a tang sight easier than I could in Australia.

I am still playing around with loads for it but they shoot well with 300 or 405gr cast rounds. Just check what OAL works best in yours to ensure smooth loading and crimp well.

1866-2.JPG

bc3.JPG

The Brownings are a blast to hunt and shoot with.  They will hold their value if you take care of them.  Getting scarce. 

Recently was close to buying a Miroku Winchester. But with my old eyes I might be wanting to put a tang sight on it which would rule out the Winchester.

My Browning '86 is ... perfection.  My new Winchester '73 is made by Miroku for BAC (Browning Arms Co.) and sold as a Winchester.

So if you go Browning or Winchester, you're going Browning.  FWIW

I did find out there is no difference in the models of Pedersoli's that I questioned earlier. I had some emails going back and forth with an importer and they got that pretty well clarified. 

Thanks for all of the info. :)

5 hours ago, Duster Tom said:

Recently was close to buying a Miroku Winchester. But with my old eyes I might be wanting to put a tang sight on it which would rule out the Winchester.

Why?

I have one on mine......

OLG

Just picked up a Winchester with checkered stock, pistol grip and Lyman rear sight. Not sure of barrel length but I found a buy now of $825, $40 shipping and $25 additional fee to process the payment. I have seen the plain ones go for $1.075.00 on Bud’s last time I looked, and everything else was above $1,200.00. Really wanted a Winchester and got one left to get, an 1895 and that one will complete my collection until Moriku makes an 1876!  

So OLG - I'm guessing you just drilled and tapped it. Then covered up the tang safety area? Did you just remove the safety? I wondered about doing something like that as well.

I really do like the Miroku made guns. As a side note. I had some engraving done on my Uberti 73 a couple of years ago. The guy that did the engraving said that the Miroku made rifles have such good metal he really struggles with engraving them. I think that's old news, but it was interesting hearing that from someone that scratches on them professionally.

Nimble Fingers - Great score!

Indy -That rifle is a beauty for sure! I kinda forgot about it. But I've actually handled that rifle in real life! It is a work of art. Pics are good, but it doesn't do it justice.

Tell Kelly I said Hi and I'm sorry for whatever you've done recently! :)

Archived