SASS Wire Forum

Gas checks

Philosopher

1st post as a new SASS member!

I understand that gas checks are not allowed in general, but are they allowed in rifle cartridges used for the long-range side matches?

I've got an original Winchester model 71 I'm hoping to shoot, but I haven't been able to find any .348 caliber lead bullets for sale that do not have gas checks installed.

Thanks!

Gas checks are allowed in the Long Range matches. However the 348 cartridge is not a SASS Legal cartridge.  It wasn't developed until 1935.

“Rifle Caliber” competition rifles must use traditional, period, rimmed cartridges

Snakebite

Thank you for the clarification. So the cartridge would have had to exist in the same 1860 to 1899 timeframe as the rifles specified as acceptable for long range matches?

My model 71 would likely be problematic anyway, given its 1936 date of introduction, regardless of it essentially being an updated 1886.

Well, my 94 Winchester in .30/30 will be pleased that it doesn't have to share range time with the model 71.

Thanks again!

10 minutes ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

I use BEANO for my gas check .:P

How is that working out for you.... do you get any gas leakage? 

Your Model 71 is just an updated replica of the Model 86.  20 years ago, I re-barreled my 71 with a large and long octagon barrel (button magazine), and had it chambered in the 40-50 Sharps Bottle Necked (SBN) caliber.   I wanted a smokeless powder round and the 40-50SBN works great.  I use the rifle a few years ago to hit the 800 yard buffalo a the Quigley match 7 out of 8 times.  Other calibers based on the 45-70 head and rim should work just fine.    If you re-barrel the rifle, just keep the 348 barrel and you can always put it back to the way it was.

6 hours ago, Snakebite said:

How is that working out for you.... do you get any gas leakage? 

Probably depends what he had for supper the night before...

5 hours ago, Clyde Henry 7046 said:

Your Model 71 is just an updated replica of the Model 86.  20 years ago, I re-barreled my 71 with a large and long octagon barrel (button magazine), and had it chambered in the 40-50 Sharps Bottle Necked (SBN) caliber.   I wanted a smokeless powder round and the 40-50SBN works great.  I use the rifle a few years ago to hit the 800 yard buffalo a the Quigley match 7 out of 8 times.  Other calibers based on the 45-70 head and rim should work just fine.    If you re-barrel the rifle, just keep the 348 barrel and you can always put it back to the way it was.

What is the current date limitation for long range rifle cartridges?  I don't suppose 1903 would hack it?  Aside from full power .348 loads being tough on the shoulder, that cartridge is just the .50-110 tapered and necked to .348.  (Don't know why they chose that goofy size. .338 or .350 would have made more sense!) As far as cartridges based on the .45-70 rim and head, the .33 WCF, introduced in 1903 is a great round!  Not sure of the availability of .338" cast gascheck moulds, however.  Jacketed flat soft point bullets were made by Hornady back in the 1970's and '80's.  Unfortunately, they discontinued them. :(

Lever action rifles used in long-range matches, whether revolver or rifle calibers, must be originals or replicas of rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899.  Every calendar I've consulted has 1903 after 1899.  

I have some for sale....348 Winchester... look on the classified section. There not lead but you'd have the brass after shooting them...

Sarival Slim

Archived