SASS Wire Forum

Reassembly of Ruger New Vaquero

Sergeant Duroc

Ok, way too many smart guys on here for me to sit banging my head on the wall this morning.  I'm reassembling a RNV.  I've done this enough to know what I am doing- nothing more.  After I have it put back together and pull the hammer back it won't stay back.  The cylinder cycles, the trigger does its thing, the transfer bar does its thing, loading gate works, ect., but when I take my thumb off the hammer it drops.  Again, I've done this enough to know how to assemble and I believe it is correct, but obviously I am wrong.  Advice?

Just guessing here, but that detent spring if I remember right what it is called has to be in the perfect position, like I said a guess, worth checking it out and maybe go to ruger and view a video. I'm no gunsmith but I'm sure others will chime in and tell you with the correct answer.

All for now JD Trampas

5 minutes ago, JD Trampas, SASS # 55781 said:

Just guessing here, but that detent spring if I remember right what it is called has to be in the perfect position, like I said a guess, worth checking it out and maybe go to ruger and view a video. I'm no gunsmith but I'm sure others will chime in and tell you with the correct answer.

All for now JD Trampas

Hey!  Nice to hear from you JD!  I've watched every stinkin' video I could find multiple times.  Obviously I'm missing something.  I needed to use my phone a friend lifeline, AKA ask the wire:)

1 hour ago, JD Trampas, SASS # 55781 said:

Glad you got it going, at least you have a month to get it fixed before the shooting season starts here. Ok, what was the fix for it, just curious.

All for now JD Trampas

It's actually Memphis Raines' gun.  I should put some sand in it to make it run smoother too:)  There is a video I had watched that was actually wrong with how you insert that main string assembly/part.  I saw a second video with it the right way so I flipped it around 180 degrees and fixed.  It had been about 6 months since I last did it so started to second guess after seeing that video.  

1 hour ago, Clay Thornton said:

The fact that it was Memphis's pistol is priceless! 

You should have seen them.  I think he dropped them in the mud at Winter Range.  The rifle was worse.

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Put one of those little flags in the barrel the says "BANG".

I thought about doing that and then telling Memphis he shot it clean and fast, but that would just confuse him and everyone else!

Poor Memphis. Y'all stop picking on him.

When I get stuck on my Rugers, I take them to Doc Horseshoe for local help.

1 hour ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Poor Memphis. Y'all stop picking on him.

When I get stuck on my Rugers, I take them to Doc Horseshoe for local help.

That's good to know!   He's a wizard on the 97.  I kept removing the variables and isolated the issue, but couldn't figure out was I was doing wrong.  I think I was tired and grumpy.  I looked at a schematic drawing because the videos don't get in there and show you the part close enough. The silly drawing was wrong!  That didn't help.

16 hours ago, Clay Thornton said:

The fact that it was Memphis's pistol is priceless! 

Where is John Wesley Hardin on this? Surely thought he would have jumped in by now?

4 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Where is John Wesley Hardin on this? Surely thought he would have jumped in by now?

He's been busy practicing!  He's ready for 2019!

Seargent Duroc, don't know if you received your answer or not yet--but I must have taken my RNVs down a couple times to clean, change springs, and do some 'gun smithin.  And like you, every video I watched seemed to not zero in on the harder or more 'confusin aspects.

My advice is to take it apart and start all over again.  Also, if you want to know some tricks I found that will help clean up the gun immensely--feel free to IM me.

Archived