SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun barrel length question NonCAS

I have this ugly old JC Higgins Model 20 with a Power Pac Choke.  Its so ugly I really have grown fond of it, but I am thinking of having the Power Pac choke removed and have the barrel cut  There is a part of me that would like the barrel 18.5 after it is cut and the Power Pac is reinstalled by silver soldering it on.  The choke is about 4" long so I am thinking 14.5 barrel plus 4" choke and I am at 18.5 for a margin of safety.  Would make a dandy flame thrower with black powder!

IIRC barrel length includes permanently affixed flash hiders.  

Does anyone know for sure?

That is correct. 16" for rifles and 18" for shotguns. I have an AR-15 done this way.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-2/download&ved=2ahUKEwif_tfU0OLgAhXF64MKHR_VBL8QFjAFegQIDhAI&usg=AOvVaw2eH7qLBi-W8QnoPQ1f1um6

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to 
the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device.
Permanent methods of 
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver 
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod 
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the 
furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and 
measured.

It does for rifles / carbines. I really don’t know about shotguns. 

I found this:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-2/download

It appears that a permanent choke would add to the length of the barrel as measured by the ATF guide.

I had an old single shot Davenport shotgun with a damaged barrel, so I got creative and made a blunderbuss out of it. :lol: External mod, so not legal for CAS, but they let me shoot it at the occasional monthly.

Bonus points if you can guess what the cone is made from.

PirateGunLogan2008.jpg

6 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I had an old single shot Davenport shotgun with a damaged barrel, so I got creative and made a blunderbuss out of it. :lol: External mod, so not legal for CAS, but they let me shoot it at the occasional monthly.

PirateGunLogan2008.jpg

Neat!

Nozzle off a fire extinguisher?

10 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I had an old single shot Davenport shotgun with a damaged barrel, so I got creative and made a blunderbuss out of it.

Are you an extremely large man?

Because the gun you are holding looks extremely small. As in "illegal" small.

Basing its size against you, that don't look nowhere near an 18" barrel.

I'm aware of that.

But the average width of a man's hand is about four inches. Using that for scale, that looks closer to 15 than 18 inches.

YES!!!  J-Bar is a purty big cowpoke!!

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Are you an extremely large man?

Because the gun you are holding looks extremely small. As in "illegal" small.

Basing its size against you, that don't look nowhere near an 18" barrel.

I stand out in a crowd... :D

18 1/4" barrel, 33 1/4" overall - well within legal limits. :)

Glacier Park 056.jpg

100_2414.JPG

100_2415.JPG

On 3/1/2019 at 11:53 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

PirateGunLogan2008.jpg

No guess, but that’s a cool piece right there.

It'll make one UGLY shotgun to confront if you're the bad guy that has to face it!!

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

After a bit of measuring, the modification I have in mind would have the flash hider start 1 1/2 inch in front of the pump (So the mag tube could be removed) Thinking it might be pretty cool

Pictures!  Or at least a sketch.

4 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Now that’s just cool!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  The vents are more obvious in person and with the choke out it would be pretty intimidating.  I have a Mossberg 590 Shockwave pistol with the 14" barrel (It was a gift of sorts) and I don't like it, but I do like the short barrel's balance-just can't legally put a stock on it.  The JC Higgins action is so light and smooth it is hard to imagine how a pump shotgun could feel better

Archived