SASS Wire Forum

Just curious

That’s Blake Wade and he ain’t sweeping himself.

Always a bit of contention.

It's pretty frowned upon, at least with experience, of gunfighters 'pumping' the pistols.  The photo above would be an extreme case of pumping pistols, though some say you're sweeping yourself if your 'pumping', and you have one cocked gun behind the other, some say you can't sweep yourself, some say it's ok as long as the pistol behind is not cocked.  I had a bad case of pumping for a spell, and was called out with a warning about 'unsafe gun handling', I got out of it as I was shown it is a sloppy way of doing things, leading to more misses and P's.  But what do I know.

I recall reading something about this in the RO book, buried somewhere you wouldn't think of finding it.

9 hours ago, Bad Company, SASS #20195 said:

I'm curious about this as I've seen it called on a Gunfighter a few years ago. Look at the home page here in an ad for End Of Trail, where it shows a gunfighter with one gun way behind the other that he is shooting.  Is he sweeping himself with a loaded gun?

Pictures without context are way too easy to misconstrue. Unless someone was there and can speak to the EXACT circumstances under which the picture was taken ANY speculation about what the shooter was or was not doing is doing a huge disservice to the shooter.

The question is valid but using an out of context picture is not and IMNSHO  the picture in question should be removed..

Many years ago ... It was plainly stated in the "Handbook" ... a Gunfighters guns were to be shot "together" and having "one behind the other" was NOT to be allowed.  Then ... then for whatever reason, the specific requirement a Gunfighters guns be "presented" together was removed from the Handbook and moved to an obscure portion of the RO 1 or RO 2.

Later, it was determined (I believe unofficially) "Pumping" was OK.  That portion of the RO manuals requiring a Gunfighters guns to be shot together and never allowed to be "one behind the other" has since been mostly ignored.

Speaking as a Gunfighter and as one who strongly pumps/ rolls his pistols.

The issue with "having one gun behind the other" is EXACTLY that.

Having a loaded cocked gun "behind" your other gun/ hand where a negligent discharge may cause injury.

Meaning when viewed from the REAR; pistols would be in line with each other - rear pistol pointing AT the forward pistol/ hand.

The term "behind" has ZERO to do with the rear pistol/ front pistol relationship when viewed from the side (as in the example picture).  

The separation of the two firearms side to side appears to be the entire width of the shooters chest - no hazard of sweeping or unsafe gun handling.

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

HEY CREEKER!!

Iffin I'm in the right lane, and your in the left lane, and I'm looking at your tail lights, am I ahead of you or BEHIND you??

Behind me...

In front of me...

Makes no difference.

As long as you stay in your lane; you can't run into me.

As long as the pistols are safely pointed downrange and remain in their own lanes...

They are perfectly safe regardless of their relationship forwards or behind.

If someone is claiming unsafe gun handling or that having two pistols out and pointed downrange a full shoulders width apart is a safety issue; then show me the danger.

If it is simply because someone doesn't like the way it looks from a certain angle...

Or the always popular, "Well, what if this and this and this happens?"

These people need to tend to their own gardens.

PLUS ONE to Creeker ...... "what if this and this and this happens??"  tend your own garden.

Ya know,   MY only point over the years has been the restrictions of SASS rules.  Rules is rules, and are applied without regard to what we want them to say.  The restriction in the RO II states "At no time is it acceptable ..... (e.g. one behind the other)".  Which means just that.  No interpretations or opinions.  "At no time is it acceptable."  Lane choice is of zero consideration.  The RO II says what it says.

I didn't see the original video.  Here's the present rule for Gunfighters from page 7 of the Shooters Handbook.

The revolvers must never be held in an unsafe manner (e.g., one revolver behind the other).

Keeping with the 170 rule, which is how I view it, once a hand is in the 170 degree of the muzzle of either revolver,  you have unsafe gun handling.  

It doesn't matter what the lane is.  You should keep the revolvers roughly side by side.  Once the muzzle gets behind the butt of the other revolver, you, as defined by the SHB are unsafe.  Unsafe handling penalties apply.

Some pumping is OK.  Just get the pumped gun forward and then cock it.  I understand the help it gives as far a rhythm goes.

I shot gunfighter for a couple of years.  The best way to keep yourself safe, IMO, is to keep the revolvers straight out and do not allow the recoil to come straight back.  The natural recoil of cowboy guns is to roll the gun back over the top of your hand for a couple of inches.  The muzzle never gets more that 20 degrees from horizontal for the loads we shoot.  You keep the gun forward and after the shot and recoil, roll it back down.  There is some back movement, but not enough to pull the muzzle back more than a couple of  inches and that doesn't get hands in front of muzzles.

I've seen shooters pulling the gun straight back over a foot and are cocking it way behind the other revolver.  That is not safe.  Why anyone would want a cocked gun behind their hand is beyond me.  If I didn't see it clearly, I'll warn them.  If I see it clearly, particularly after a warning, I will assess the appropriate penalty.

NNV

The following was posted by PWB on FB in response to that photo.

"Would it be a Procedural for having an uncocked/loaded revolver, finger on the trigger, one hand directly behind the other, since "one revolver behind the other" violates Gunfighter rules?"

IMO...YES.

If it was directly behind & pointed AT the other revolver/hand.
"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/276066629603191/?multi_permalinks=425882414621611&notif_id=1551565162924811&notif_t=group_activity

Archived