SASS Wire Forum

32 caliber BP questions

LostVaquero

Well getting interested in trying the Tombstone Thunder shoot.  I am using 32 ruger single sixes.

A few things, will 32s meet the smoke standard?

I looked around but no one seems to have commercial BP 32 other than 32 S&W which probably does not meet the standard.

I do have the ability to load but have no clue as to loading and bullets.

I have Goex 3f and 2f.  Will buy a sub if needed.

Thanks again

Get ahold of T. A. Chance. He loads .32’s with bp for himself and Mist Chance. (His wife)

Captain Baylor and I tested .32s for the smoke standard.  32 S&W with Triple Seven (a commercial load) failed.  APP FFFg in 32 H&R mags with 100 grain bullets passed as did the same cases and bullets with Swiss.  Triple Seven with 115 grain bullets in .32 H&R mag cases make satisfactory knockdown loads.  With APP my wife's single sixes will run six stages without maintenance.  Using Triple Seven the same revolvers must be serviced every other stage.  If using Goex make sure the revolvers will shoot six rounds without binding.  APP produces minimal residue and would be my first choice for both smoke and reliable functioning.

Here are Hodgdon's loading notes for Triple Seven and Pyrodex should you choose to load one of those subs.  I don't use BP-compatible lubed bullets with either Triple Seven or APP in my rifles or revolvers and have no loss of accuracy.

My wife shoots Ruger Single Six's using 32 H&R cases with 3F Goex Pinnacle (same as APP) and 115gr 32-20 bullets.  Case is filled to the point where there is about 1/8" compression of the powder when the bullet is seated.  She has no trouble making the smoke standard and can easily run 6 stages without cleaning and plenty of knockdown power.

Triple 7 is stronger than BP and smokes less.  Use the FFFg, use a case full of powder so as to obtain 1/8 inch of compression when you seat the bullet and use a BP lube on the bullet. This should get you past the smoke standard most of the time.  There are some days where humidity, temperature and breezes are going to make it tough to meet with the .32-but not too often.

For a simple and quick lube,  olive oil blended 1-1 with beeswax makes a decent starting lube.  if you have smokeless bullets, lay them on a layer of paper towels in an old cookie sheet and bring them up to 200 in the oven and towels will soak out the wax lube.  When the cool stand them up in the pan base down and with a little space all around each bullet and pour your hot BP Lube into the pan until it covers the lube grooves and allow to cool.  Pop the entire sheet out and press the bullets out an you have BP lubed bullets.

Lots of lube formulas floating around and some lubes smoke more than others.

My son uses APP fffg basically a full 32 H&R mag case.  It is a light 1cc scoop.  

Works well for a full six stages without cleaning.  Nice load and the smoke factor is achieved.  

.32 H&R - 100 gr Cimarron Hytek bullet - Pinnacle (similar to APP) full case to bullet base - SG 40 gr Skirmish.

Looks like enough smoke.

Archived