SASS Wire Forum

Windows 10

A while back, when Windows 10 first came out, a lot of Pards here were lamenting it. I'm wondering if it's gotten better,  fixed, or merely tolerated.

I'm still running a windows 7 confuser, but I know that sooner or later I'll have to upgrade. 

When that time comes, I'd like to know what to expect.

Seven was Heaven...!  ^_^

Ten now works well.  It's relatively stable... but I have a few minor gripes:

- Updates.  It will install updates on its own without "permission."  Usually, but not always, in the middle of the night.  But still an annoyance.  And twice I've had my laptop go into Update Mode during a projected presentation for large groups.  

- File manager Explorer sucks, in my opinion.  Not as intuitive as older versions.

- Games.  Those of us who like to clear our minds by goofing off at our desks will quickly discover that it surprisingly does not include Solitaire or the other standard time-wasters.  Supposedly they can be downloaded from Microsoft... but I've never been able to.  

Otherwise, it works.  

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Speaking of games, java and flash are going away but that affects all versions of windows.

Java's going away?

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Speaking of games, java and flash are going away but that affects all versions of windows.

That will cut security issues in half. Both languages have more security holes than a sponge.

I now have Windows 10 at work that also comes with Office 2016.

They, Microsoft, have managed to turn crap into crappier crap. 

It’s like a room full of giggly boys created a geeky nerdariffic electronic Easter egg hunt.

I spend at least 25% of my time trying to figure out where to find the commands that were once at least partly intuitive that are now hidden or nonexistent. 

As for my home computer I still have Windows 7. I rarely actually even use the thing. I mostly use my iPhone or my Chromebook. Microsoft is not updating it so, hey, I have that going for me AND my new upgraded antivirus is made for Windows 10. It tells me Windows 7 is no longer supported and badgers me to update.

I like my iPhone. It doesn’t badger me.

7 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Mine acts as if it comes from U Wisconsin.  Wants me to pay for storage and use Applepay and ...

I bought the phone with 256 Gigabytes. Heh-heh ;)

I stilluse Windows 7 Pro on my home computer and my laptop. I avoided the "free" upgrade to 10. My wife didn't and still regrets upgrading to 10.

I've only ever used Apple computers. First Mac was an SE model, with TWO 3.5" disk drives!

300px-Macintosh_SE_b.jpg.f492b59cc89559680e1b8fef326879d5.jpg

When forced to use a Windows machine, I have been known to come home and want to hug my Mac.

Here's my experience with Windows 10. Back in April or so of 2018 I got notification of a pending update, told it to go ahead. The result was it trashed my OS to the point I had to download a new one from Microsoft and reinstall it.  I saved some files, but many were lost. Among those lost were my Turbotax 2017 software and files.And of course I had not yet printed out the return I had efiled.  Then this week I went to file for 2018, and at the very end it asked for my AGI from my 2017 file.  Because I had used the CD instead of the online version, Turbotax cannot retrieve my return, I have to snail mail a request to the IRS to get a copy!!

So no, I am NOT a fan of Windows 10!!  If/when I need to replace this laptop, I'm gonna be looking at Apple.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:08 AM, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I gave up on all that several years ago.  I got a MAC.  Problem solved!

+10000000000000000000000000

I like how people think somehow the MAC OS is problem free. 

They have problems, just different ones. 

Having worked with computers since about forever, including once managing our marketing team that used Mac's, I can safely say they both have their share of issues and problems. 

19 hours ago, Rooster Cognizant said:

I like how people think somehow the MAC OS is problem free. 

They have problems, just different ones. 

Having worked with computers since about forever, including once managing our marketing team that used Mac's, I can safely say they both have their share of issues and problems. 

You probably know 10 times what I know about computers but I've had this I-Mac for 6 years and I can truly say I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM!;) 

I use Win 10 with a Brave browser. It's free, quick and has built-in ad blockers. If I want to peruse a site that doesn't like it, I then use Firefox. Edge is pretty crumby.

How many Windows users (gun collectors, bikers, etc) does it take to change a light bulb?

Three.

Well, it really takes just one.  The other two just hang around and complain about how much better the old one was.

Went Mac a few years ago, used machine. Was wonderful until the something happened to the mother board. had another Mac in the house, got everything transferred to it. Been going strong since. only drawback is this one won't support anything newer as far operating systems.:(:blush:

On 3/4/2019 at 8:17 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You probably know 10 times what I know about computers but I've had this I-Mac for 6 years and I can truly say I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM!;) 

My home Windows 10 machine is on 24/7, with 4 different people logging in, works as a media server, and I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM! ;)

I can't claim 6 years though since Win 10 is only almost 4 years old. 

Realistically, a lot of Windows problems stem from lower quality hardware. Apple typically designs and makes higher tier hardware. When your Windows PC is also made of higher tier hardware, they are pretty reliable.

Up until the past year I worked as a PC tech. Aside from viruses the most common issue we encountered was customer systems that either locked up or wouldn't boot after a Windows 10 update. I'm talking about machines that worked perfectly until the moment the update installed in the background without the owner's knowledge, and BAM! no more working PC. I talked to a lot of very frustrated and angry customers who wanted to know how Microsoft could have gotten so good at screwing up their own O/S all the time.

I just bought and set up a new PC on my desk.  I prefer a desktop computer because I like to have expansion capability.  (And for me, a whole lot easier to swap out a dead power supply than in a laptop)... Yeah, I had to do that.)  These Solid State hard-drives are awesome for fast and quiet!

Anyway, it's got Windows 10 Pro.  I downloaded Chrome and Firefox... then spent time hunting down all the areas where we can disable all the ways Microsoft and Google can keep tabs on where we are and what we're doing.  Then downloading sneaky little apps that help keep advertisers outa the machine.   I won't use Microsoft edge. 

I did notice that this current version comes with Solitaire and a skad of games I will never play.  Spent a while kicking out all the bloatware.  By the way, if you've never used

Avast Antivirus, especially their Pro version, DON'T!  It may be a good product, but if you ever wish to get rid of it... it's a heckuva party.  It's everywhere, and it's uninstaller, and other uninstallers won't get it all.  Avast also has an avast-cleaner download to help get rid of more of it... but it won't do a complete job.  There are still bits and pieces that have to slowly be rooted out of the directory.  Even then, if you try to load Malwarebytes or Bitdefender, they won't go because there are still shreds of Avast hanging around somewhere.   And, registry cleaner apps are denied access to cleaning those little bits!

By the way, you can turn off Automatic Updates and update the computer at a time of your own choosing.  There are also apps you can download for free that turn the Windows 10 interface with all it's blocks and squares, to the more familiar classic start menu.  

I haven't had a problem with updates... yet.  But, I'd recommend backing up your registry before letting Windows update anything.

There's a thriving aftermarket in Windows 10 tweaks, to make it behave as you want it to.

Archived