SASS Wire Forum

Well now...how can that be?

So, I just posted that WSJ article about the best whisky, per the World Whisky Awards.

Stimulated by taste buds and my grey cells, so I Googled the awards to see who else was on the list.

My, my...no sign of this Queen Margot Blend among any of the winners for 2018.  And the 2019's aren't due to be announced until late March...

http://www.worldwhiskiesawards.com/winner/whisky/2018

Something is out of kilter......

LL

Here’s how they’re getting it wrong. If you believe the Independent, a pretty reputable news organisation, the giant German budget supermarket Lidl’s own brand of blended whisky, the Queen Margot 8-year-old, scooped the prize for ‘Best Scotch Whisky’ at the World Whisky Awards. By this logic, who would ever need to buy the overpriced stuffy expensive single malt stuff ever again?

However, this is fake whisky news, plain and simple. The real story is not so straightforward. While this Queen Margot whisky did indeed win at the World Whisky Awards, its medal is a far cry from an outright declaration of ‘best Scotch in the world’.

To be specific, the Queen Margot 8 Year Old bagged a very particular award; the ’12 year old and under’ category for Scotch whisky under the ‘Blended’ section.

From 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/felipeschrieberg/2019/02/28/fake-whisky-news-no-that-lidl-whisky-is-not-the-best-in-the-world/#25e8101264f5

A lotta stuff I never heard of on that list.

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Yeah; kinda makes you wonder whether this "competition" is anything more than a puff piece for off-brand whiskies.

LL

Not all of it makes it to the average package* store.  While I did not have the specific Amrut mentioned at the link, I have had some of their other products and it is quite qood.

* A package store is New England's odd name for a liquor store.

46 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Not all of it makes it to the average package* store.  While I did not have the specific Amrut mentioned at the link, I have had some of their other products and it is quite qood.

* A package store is New England's odd name for a liquor store.

Also  used by our military to name a liquor store, the best of which was the Navy Package store at White Beach, Okinawa.

53 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Except New Hampshire.

I had never heard the term package store until I moved to CT as a teenager.  

Don't drink Scotch. Just can't get past the burnt peat flavor.

Now, Jameson Caskmate Stout. Well, set me up Bottles.

Archived