SASS Wire Forum

You spent HOW MUCH for that scotch?

From the WSJ:

We’ll drink to that.

A £13.49 ($17.95) bottle of supermarket scotch was named the “Best Scotch Whisky” at the World Whiskies Awards, the Independent reported on Wednesday.

The Queen Margot Blend Scotch Whisky from the budget German supermarket chain Lidl was the top pick by 40 international experts at the annual event, which honors “the very best in all internationally recognized styles of drinks.” Their refined palates preferred Lidl’s eight-year-old blended Scotch whisky over more expensive pours like the 12-year-old Johnnie Walker Black Label, which costs more than twice as much at upwards of $35 for a 750-milliliter bottle at some online stores.

Lidl describes its Queen Margot blend, imbued with dried apricot and plum, as “smooth with a rich sweetness and depth of flavour, leaving a warm, lingering finish.” The Queen Margot spent eight years mellowing in oak casks, and, as a result, “the taste holds more barrel character, where a little concentration from time in cask gives wood spice length of finish.”

Don’t miss: This is the best booze for under $20

This isn’t Lidl’s first alcoholic upset. Gin Magazine also named its store-brand Hortus London Dry Gin as the best supermarket gin of the year last week (under the confusing award category “Own Brand Gin Supermarket of the Year”), and last year the £15.99 ($21.28) bottle won a Good Housekeeping Institute blind taste test over brands Bombay Sapphire, Gordon’s, Sipsmith and Beefeater.

See: Why you never have to spend more than $10 on wine again

It’s further proof that good booze doesn’t have to be expensive. (And, considering that the average American spends about $1 out of every $100 on alcohol, adding up to $454 a year, per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, sippers may well wish to save where they can.) In 2017, a $6 bottle of St. Andrews Cabernet Sauvignon 2016 sold exclusively at Coles supermarkets in Melbourne received a unanimous gold rating during a blind taste test at the Melbourne International Wine Competition. It beat 1,100 submissions from more than 10 countries around the world.

And last May, an $8 bottle of Exquisite Collection Côtes de Provence Rosé, available at Aldi, like Lidl a discount supermarket chain based in Germany, earned a silver medal at the International Wine Challenge (known as the Oscars of winemaking), which pits superexpensive wines against affordable ones.

LL

I find Scotch is generally more expensive then vodka, bourbon or Irish Whiskey of comparable quality with the single malts from Japan & Scotland being the most expensive.

Howdy,

Its a blend and someone knows how to blend.

Any available stateside?

Best

CR

ps the worldwide whiskies award web site is an interesting brouse, pards.

Howdy LL, since you started this thread I guess me weighing in would be okay. My local hole in the wall liquor store has 113 different single malt scotch selections, yes that’s right Jesus ( he’s selling liquor now) told me that they now have 113 single malt scotch selections. Incredible says I, true says he and who am I to question? So as I was perusing said single malt selection it occurred to me that Jesus may be correct because I spent well over an hour inspecting the single malt scotch bottles on display and it was truly mind boggling so being the scotch connoisseur that I am I settled on my favorite, budget priced Aberlour  and left with a smile on my face and three Power Ball and two Mega Millions Tickets later. 

6 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Howdy LL, since you started this thread I guess me weighing in would be okay. My local hole in the wall liquor store has 113 different single malt scotch selections, yes that’s right Jesus ( he’s selling liquor now) told me that they now have 113 single malt scotch selections. Incredible says I, true says he and who am I to question? So as I was perusing said single malt selection it occurred to me that Jesus may be correct because I spent well over an hour inspecting the single malt scotch bottles on display and it was truly mind boggling so being the scotch connoisseur that I am I settled on my favorite, budget priced Aberlour  and left with a smile on my face and three Power Ball and two Mega Millions Tickets later. 

The 12 year?

2 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Its a blend and someone knows how to blend.

Any available stateside?

Best

CR

ps the worldwide whiskies award web site is an interesting brouse, pards.

Why would you want a blended scotch? 

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The 12 year?

Yes.

I realized rather rapidly that my selection of the Aberlour 12 year was quite prudent because if I had chosen a bottle of the most expensive single malt scotch on display would have kept me from buying 52 bottles of Aberlour. Prudent purchase indeed.

5 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Aberlour 12 y/o is  a real value. I always have a bottle around.

Or two if it’s on sale.

Archived