SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2020

Jackaroo, # 29989

Just noticed an UPDATE on the WR site dated 25th Feb 2019 that non US citizens will not be eligible for the Championship buckle, only an appropriate trophy, if one wins a category award.!

I don't think this has been the case in the past, correct me if I am wrong, I haven't seen this on the website before, but this could dampen enthusiasm for  those coming from overseas, who have a real good chance of winning their category, ......my lovely Kathouse Kelli being an example.

Especially when the cost of such a venture is in the region of $6000.00 plus?

While this has been the case for State and Regional Championships, as a National Championship I'da thought all winners should be eligible. :(

In fact you just need be a 'resident' of the US to be eligible, for State and Regional and Divisional, not necessary a US citizen?

So the US Augustus Masters Golf Tournament is for US citizens only too?

I totally agree with the Winter Range position, it makes total sense.........unless you’re not a Citizen then probably not.

If we travel to or live in a foreign country we shouldn’t be eligible for their national titles either!

Yep in line with state and regional championships. You have to be a resident of the state to be state champion and reside within the region to be a regional champion. If not then you can win the category or match but can't be the official state or regional champion.

Something to ponder:

If SASS makes the guidelines that a Natl Champion has to be a 'citizen'from that particular Nation,

then those same guidelines would also have to apply to the SASS matches at other National Championship matches.

So if one of our Top Guns runs up to Canada for their SASS Canadian National Championship match, they are not eligible to be the Canadian National Champ.

Works both ways..... and it sounds logical to me.

I don't know how it was set up before this year.

And as for the Masters, I don't think you have to be from Augusta or even live in Georgia

to win it... ;)

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Yep in line with state and regional championships. You have to be a resident of the state to be state champion and reside within the region to be a regional champion. If not then you can win the category or match but can't be the official state or regional champion.

But it's not, they're saying US CITIZENS not residents.?

we were residents of OK for 5 years, own a home and pay county taxes. Sass advised us we are eligible for the OK state champs and the SWRegional .

So a permanent resident from Canada say, who is not a US citizen is not eligible according to that update ??

8 hours ago, Samuel B Carpenter said:

hey ya'll

What the WR Board did makes sence

been there years back and I got the title, but no green card :P  so giving the title to a US Citizen makes sense

Samuel B  

You need to come again Samuel!!!

2 hours ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

But it's not, they're saying US CITIZENS not residents.?

we were residents of OK for 5 years, own a home and pay county taxes. Sass advised us we are eligible for the OK state champs and the SWRegional .

So a permanent resident from Canada say, who is not a US citizen is not eligible according to that update ??

If they allowed you to shoot for the OK state championship and SW regional throughout the years I don't understand the change in verbiage from resident to citizen just for WR.

25 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Because we're not citizens of a state. We are citizens of a nation.

This is my understanding also.

I am a citizen of the U.S. but I'm a resident of Tennessee.

Citizenship and Resident are 2 separate things.

.........Widder

11 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Dear Jackaroo!

I adore you and Kelli. However, I agree with this way of handling awards.

What do the clubs in Australia, Europe,... do?

Regards,

Allie

We do whatever the rule book says like any other sass club

12 hours ago, El Hombre said:

We do whatever the rule book says like any other sass club

It isn't in "the rule book." It may or may not be in the contract for clubs that are awarded contracts. It appears that it wasn't in WR's (the USA National Match) contract until recently.

You don't have to be an Australian Citizen  to hold the title.

There are many permanent residents from the likes of NZ. Etc. 

Just like there would be many permanent residents from Canada in the US, (and other places) who are not citizens.

Jackaroo,

This is just my thinking, but if SASS has now decided on the 'Citizen' requirement, then I would hope

it applies to EVERY SASS National Championship and not just for the USA.

I ain't trying to be argumentive.  

Although I have never visited WR or EOT, I have always been under

the assumption that citizenship was a requirement to be a 'National' Champ.

OF course, I never thought much about the differences of Citizen and Resident until this topic came up.

My guess is that all future 'SASS National Champions' will only be awarded to a citizen of the country

which is hosting the championship match.

I would be eager to see SASS's position on that.

To my limited knowledge on the subject, I 'think' there are also permanent Residents of the US which

I thought would be eligible as a Natl Champ..... but I honestly don't know how that works out.

..........Widder

59 minutes ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

You don't have to be an Australian Citizen  to hold the title.

There are many permanent residents from the likes of NZ. Etc. 

Just like there would be many permanent residents from Canada in the US, (and other places) who are not citizens.

Although I do agree if you are a permanent resident of said country you should be able to go for gold but if you you are a fly in fly out visitor from overseas then do your best for category award

It is my understanding that the European Championship is an open championship where anyone can win.  I think Winter Range made the right decision in allowing the category championship trophy to the category winner and the 1st place buckle to the highest U. S. Citizen.  My understanding is they got a regular buckle, not the 1st place buckle.  Is that right?  Those trophies are incredible by the way.  

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Although I do agree if you are a permanent resident of said country you should be able to go for gold but if you you are a fly in fly out visitor from overseas then do your best for category award

Not talk Ng about fly in, fly out visitors, their non eligibility goes without saying.

So if somebody from Honduras or Mexico or Syria or Iran etc; "sneaks into the US" across the Mexico or Canada borders and ends up in California, where the state will give a drivers license to anyone regardless of how they got into California, and claims to be a "resident", they should be eligible to be the US National Champion?  Sorry, but if you are not a "legal" US citizen you should not be the US National Champion.  Just my personal thoughts.

Archived