SASS Wire Forum

chevy 2500 questions also gas verses diesel

Trigger Mike

1 hour ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

My '06 V10 has 165k - runs like a top.

It also has 4:30 gearing so it can tow very well.....gas mileage? what's that :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yeah. It will cruise at mach 1, pull a Sherman tank up a brick wall, and pass eveything but a gas station.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

4:30-Not 4:10?

OLG

4:30 - correct.

AXLE CODES:

37- 3.73

3L- 3.73 LS

41- 4.10

4N- 4.10 LS

43- 4.30

4L- 4.30 LS

48- 4.88

8L- 4.88 LS

53- 5.38

5L- 5.38 LS

I had the truck built up and included the 4:30 in the future case I would add larger diameter tires - anyway, I have had 285/75/18 and now 295/70/18 - not that much taller than the 275/75/18 originals.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

4L.png

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah. It will cruise at mach 1, pull a Sherman tank up a brick wall, and pass eveything but a gas station.

My first Crew Cab dually was in that category. 454 with 5.10 rear end. 9 mpg empty uphill, down hill, any speed.  Fully loaded it dropped to 4 mpg.

A friend of mine has the same model of Class C Motorcoach as I do except mine is on the Chevy  frame with the 6 liter engine his is on the ford frame with the V 10 ...

Going through the Rockies Mine used 175 dollars in gas ,,, We took turns leading the way and his unit used 480 dollars of gas ...

My unit had less miles on it than his at the time ,,, my mileage has improved by 8% since that time as it is breaking -in ...

We agreed to drive the speed limit with the cruse set and count the times our unit needed to down-shift on the hills ... Mine only needed to down-shift once,,,, and never dropped out of cruse ....  He stopped counting down-shifts after his first fuel fill... And 6 hills caused his unit to drop of the cruse ....

His unit had 16,000 miles on it at the time, mine had 3,600 miles on it ...

Jabez Cowboy

Our park truck is a 2500 HD gas. Not sure what gears are in the rear, but the thing is a pulling beast! Have had a few problems, tranny control module went out, and an oil pressure sensor( they had to disassemble the the upper half to change it) . it's been used to haul lumber, plow snow/spread salt, trash downed trees, etc.. just went to the shop with some lights showing in the dash( brakes, and tire pressure system). Quote was over $1600 to repair, Boss had us bring it home. higher management is gonna have to make a decision on whether to put more money into it or replace it. It's a 2008 with under 60,000 on it. Interior is looking pretty spent, but with us getting in and out of it umpteen million times a day, I guess that's why the seats look like they do. My former associate even pulled stuck heavy equipment out with it. It is a 4 wheel drive:blush:

On 3/5/2019 at 3:10 AM, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Our park truck is a 2500 HD gas. Not sure what gears are in the rear, but the thing is a pulling beast! Have had a few problems, tranny control module went out, and an oil pressure sensor( they had to disassemble the the upper half to change it) . it's been used to haul lumber, plow snow/spread salt, trash downed trees, etc.. just went to the shop with some lights showing in the dash( brakes, and tire pressure system). Quote was over $1600 to repair, Boss had us bring it home. higher management is gonna have to make a decision on whether to put more money into it or replace it. It's a 2008 with under 60,000 on it. Interior is looking pretty spent, but with us getting in and out of it umpteen million times a day, I guess that's why the seats look like they do. My former associate even pulled stuck heavy equipment out with it. It is a 4 wheel drive:blush:

2500 HD gas  are real workhorse truck.  My buddy take home a 2008 with 110k miles on the clock as a weekend toy. Threw new set of tires, brake kit, undercover tonneau cover and led light bars. Still going strong on light and mid muddy trail. Can keep up with the beast when we had a week-long trip.

Archived