SASS Wire Forum

13 years-$330,000,000. Seriously???!!!

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

It was his choice and there have been many others that have made similar choices over the years, the late Tony Gwynn chose to take the San Diego discount and play out his career with the Padres. I won’t fault Machado, Harper or Stanton or any of them that take the huge money when it comes available to them. That’s the way the system works in baseball. I’m pretty sure that if they do well in their new locals the fans will become pretty loyal to them in a hurry. It’s a business and the players are a big part of the business. The next time the CBA comes up the owners are going to attempt some major changes and there could be a season cancelling strike that was avoided with the last CBA deal. 

You’re right, it was his choice, but I don’t have to agree with it.

I guess I’m just a little too idealistic for my own good.

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Well, somebody is going to have to pay for this insanity. 

It will be the FANS!! Any of you who follow these sports, whether football, basketball, baseball, hockey, NASCAR wrestling or soccer, are responsible for this. 

Every single one of you that buys a ticket, t-shirt, coffee cup, or anything else related to these sports are the reason this kind of thing happens. The fans want it, they get it, and they pay for it. 

Stop going to the games. Stop buying the merchandise. Stop watching it on T.V.  If enough people gave a crap about it, it could be made to stop, but too many of the sheeple out there are just fine with it. 

If I were offered it, would I? Heck yes. I won't fault the players for taking the deal, I fault the FANS that make it possible. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

It will be the FANS!! Any of you who follow these sports, whether football, basketball, baseball, hockey, NASCAR wrestling or soccer, are responsible for this. 

Every single one of you that buys a ticket, t-shirt, coffee cup, or anything else related to these sports are the reason this kind of thing happens. The fans want it, they get it, and they pay for it. 

Stop going to the games. Stop buying the merchandise. Stop watching it on T.V.  If enough people gave a crap about it, it could be made to stop, but too many of the sheeple out there are just fine with it. 

If I were offered it, would I? Heck yes. I won't fault the players for taking the deal, I fault the FANS that make it possible. 

Like I said, I doubt it will be BMC. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Well, according to the Padres they have seen quite an uptick in ticket sales since they signed Machado. Mrs. Lose is  not much of a sports fan but  has even mentioned us buying season tickets again. I used to make  60-70 games a year when my kids and grandkids were younger and would go to the games with me but I gave up my season tickets about 8 years ago because I didn’t like going alone. If she wants to go I’ll buy a season package again  because it beats sitting at home watching Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy.

10 hours ago, Chantry said:

Like UB I find there are other more important things get angry about, with politics and people who abuse and abandon dogs making the top of my list. 

And automated “press 1 for English” phone systems.

:angry:

12 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

it beats sitting at home watching Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy.

Not to me. 

I grew up in Columbus Ohio. That's right, Buckeye Country. I had OSU sports rammed down my throat since before I even knew what it was. To this day, I have NO use for sports, unless I'm playing. And at 65 and fat, I'm not playing. 

Any of you who wish to keep supporting these spoiled jackasses and everything they stand, (or kneel), for are free to do so. I'm won't! 

2 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Not to me. 

I grew up in Columbus Ohio. That's right, Buckeye Country. I had OSU sports rammed down my throat since before I even knew what it was. To this day, I have NO use for sports, unless I'm playing. And at 65 and fat, I'm not playing. 

Any of you who wish to keep supporting these spoiled jackasses and everything they stand, (or kneel), for are free to do so. I'm won't! 

Really? Where in Columbus? I grew up there also. Although I'm not sure what you mean by "OSU sports." There's OSU FOOTBALL, and then all those other things that students play there.

7 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Not to me. 

Yeah, I can’t stand OSU football either, others can watch it, I won’t.

33 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Really? Where in Columbus? I grew up there also. Although I'm not sure what you mean by "OSU sports." There's OSU FOOTBALL, and then all those other things that students play there.

Basketball was a big deal in the 60's too, though not as much as football. I lived around EN Broadway and High. Went to Whetstone. 

2 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Basketball was a big deal in the 60's too, though not as much as football. I lived around EN Broadway and High. Went to Whetstone. 

I forgot, they did have some big names back then.

Gotcha. I grew up in the South End. Graduate of South. I have an older sister about your age, and a brother a couple of years younger. They went to Marion Franklin.

30 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Quite honestly, I don't see any difference between the mindless, near rabid fandom of OSU fans and any other fans. It's almost a mob mentality, and I'll NEVER understand it. The Borg mindhive make more sense. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Not to me. 

I turn on the tv and watch a game. Not sure that’s support. They get no money from me.

I don’t spend a dime on tickets or merchandize and I’m immune to tv commercials. :D

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I turn on the tv and watch a game. Not sure that’s support. They get no money from me.

I have to pay for an added tier of channels to get the Cleveland Indians games on Sports Time Ohio. I figure I pay an extra $30.00 so that's like going to one game a month! ;)

11 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

I get the Rangers and the Astros on direct tv. The rest I watch on MLB Channel; the best thing to come along since Encore Westerns channel.

The MLB channel is an extra charge right? I know Encore westerns is.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:53 AM, Wild Will Bartell said:

This is a good example. You have here a top level player who could have, as they say now ‘taken his talents elsewhere’ for more $$$$. He got a reasonable extension with a decent raise, and chose to remain loyal to his franchise, teammates and most importantly, the fans.

That, folks is the gist of my OP.

That dude is well-loved here in Colorado.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:40 AM, Yul Lose said:

My favorite OSU game was the 2017 game against Iowa!

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it could be. Teams pay players. Networks pay leagues for the right to broadcast games. Sponsors pay for ads. The more people watch, the more networks charge for ads.

They don’t know I watch. I wear a mask. :P

29 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it could be. Teams pay players. Networks pay leagues for the right to broadcast games. Sponsors pay for ads. The more people watch, the more networks charge for ads.

That’s how it works.

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The MLB channel is an extra charge right? I know Encore westerns is.

The sports package is included in our subscription. MLB is free, and you’re right-Encore Westerns is extra; It’s worth whatever Jeanette pays for it:D

9 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

The sports package is included in our subscription. MLB is free, and you’re right-Encore Westerns is extra; It’s worth whatever Jeanette pays for it:D

I understand but the subscription you have costs more than the basic cable right? Mine does! :o

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And automated “press 1 for English” phone systems.

:angry:

It'll be "Press 4 for English" pretty soon. And when you finally get through the person on the other end will have such a thick accent you still won't be able to understand them.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:58 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I understand but the subscription you have costs more than the basic cable right? Mine does! :o

Yes it does. I/we just made sure that we got the sports and news packages when we got the service. Encore was an add-on after the fact.

Archived