SASS Wire Forum

Best Prices For Piettas Revolvers?

David Balthazar

59 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

Best Prices For Piettas Revolvers?  EMF has the selection but who has the best prices overall?

Your local dealer. As I mentioned in the other thread EMF has several distributors that your local shop can order through. This is very likely your best option to acquire a Pietta. If you don't want to go through a local dealer then call EMF and ask for the SASS discount.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Your local dealer. As I mentioned in the other thread EMF has several distributors that your local shop can order through. This is very likely your best option to acquire a Pietta. If you don't want to go through a local dealer then call EMF and ask for the SASS discount.

Yes,   we have come to know several local gun shop owners pretty well and they will order you about anything you can order online.  We had one backorder a Smoke Wagon Deluxe from Taylor's at a very competitive price.   One place charges $25 above his actual cost.  That's the same as what he charges for a transfer. 

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Gee Phantom, I'm so glad I can amuse you.

I'm an amuse-able guy:P

The "Like" icon is boring. I like the happy-smiley icon better!

Besides, I tried to figure out the mathematical designation for your number and got lost.

:D

I had a pietta laser engraved on back order through emf. They called me when it was ready, but said they had to sell to the distributors first. I’m not sure why. They did ask if I had a local shop so I gave them the number. Emf sent my local guy the gun and I got it with taxes for less than I would have paid direct to emf? Strange theyvwrbt out of their way to make less money, yeah?

By the way, before I even called emf I asked my dealer if going through emf or through him was more profitable for him. He said emf, which is why I placed the order in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Really?!

Support your LGS.

PHANTOM

I do support them--when I pay them the $25 transfer fee for the 60 seconds of paperwork. 

And as far as customer service goes, I generally know more about the product than the salespeople (from my own research).  I also know how to print a label and place a gun in a box too. 

1 minute ago, David Balthazar said:

I do--when I pay them the $25 transfer fee for one second of paperwork and avoid paying over 8.25% state tax.

They CANNOT keep their doors open on transfers alone.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

They CANNOT keep their doors open on transfers alone.

Of course they can't. 

But I am not in the business of paying more for something else either.  And I am not haggling over $20, I am talking about over $100 in my last purchase.  And then the Texas sales taxes here at 8.25%--where I already pay $10K in taxes alone for schools that I don't have kids to go to.  That is the cost of some peoples mortgages alone. 

Do you want to make sure I pay "my fair share?"  

I don't expect to be lambasted over how I spend my money, or where, thank you very much. 

1 hour ago, David Balthazar said:

Of course they can't. 

But I am not in the business of paying more for something else either.  And I am not haggling over $20, I am talking about over $100 in my last purchase.  And then the Texas sales taxes here at 8.25%--where I already pay $10K in taxes alone for schools that I don't have kids to go to.  That is the cost of some peoples mortgages alone. 

I don't expect to be lambasted over how I spend my money, or where, thank you very much. 

You're the reason for the demise of the Local Gun Shop.

Guess you can always get your transfers done at Sports Academy :lol:

Of course they can't. 

If they are charging you 100 more then go elsewhere  . Anyone who trys to over price on a new gun is asking to go out of business and has no one to blame but themselves.   It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if your a hundred more than the guy across town you won't make it long. Successful small shops make their money in used guns or other services like gunsmithing. Knowing when and what to buy in bulk, and the local market.

The one I help out with does very well. With the invent of gun broker it's doing about tripple the business.   Yes they charge more than scheels or cabelas on some but never more than reasonable. Others he's cheaper than the big stores.

I work with the sass and long range stuff.  Another guy does the 3 gun.  The owner is a treasure trove on any gun made pre plastic craze and trap/ skeet.   everybody that works or helps there has something they are knowledgeable about. We don't try  doing it all.  The selling point for the owner, and why he has made a comfortable profit every year in almost 40 years in business,  is customer relationships.  He knows his regulars and their families. Knows when to make a bunch of small profits instead of one big haul. Which people are just wasting his time.    He doesn't b.s. people.  If he doesn't know something he's man enough to admit it and does his best to get an honest answer asap.  

He's tried to retire 4 times in the last couple years but so far we have talked him out of it.   

Id look for a different shop to do business with. 

Of course they can't. 

I don't see what sales tax or property tax has to do with the price of a gun. Give a guy a reason to give you a favorable price on a special order by doing regular business with him. I like the guys at my LGS and they appear like me and they work with me when I buy and sell guns through them. At this point in my life it's the relationship and the knowledge and the service that are most important to me, not the nickels. There have been a lot of LGS around here that have gone out of business since I started CAS in 2003 and I bought from them and miss them all. Because of that I'm going to take care of the ones that have stuck around by giving them my business.

We visit gunshops almost weekly.  Just head north, south, east or west.  We try to include some we've not been in and some we have had a good experience with.   Some have a small inventory of new guns at MSRP and don't take trades and don't have used guns.  We seldom return.  There are a few that have a huge inventory of new and used guns and buy and trade as a normal coarse of doing business.  We hit these shops at least once a month or when we're looking for something. 

17 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You're the reason for the demise of the Local Gun Shop.

Guess you can always get your transfers done at Sports Academy :lol:

Actually why don't you blame the internet? Or the telephone?  

I am not responsible for the failure of any brick and mortar business, just as you are certainly not responsible for saving any on your own.  I shopped around for my Cowboy guns online and as a result, saved enough money to buy a complete set of gunleather here locally--because they gave me a great deal.  But by the simplistic argument displayed here by some, I should also not do my own general gunsmithing (which I do very well thank you), or work on my own vehicles (which I do) either?  Hmm...

I choose to vigorously support out of state internet businessmen while I currently reside in a state with (IMHO) outrageous sales and property taxes (which was the reason for the tax reference Lead Friend).  And as far as my income, the only folks other than me who get a say are Uncles Sam, Texas, and my creditors.

I'm not calling any one out for spending more money then they have to--that is your choice and your business.   And if I had a local GS here that was reasonable and I liked the folks, I might choose to purchase there.  Short of that, I don't care to know who you vote for, pray to (or not) or if you are a vegan or Crossfit either. 

When people pose questions on the internet, I generally just answer them in a pleasant, professional manner.  

Generally pleasant is an important qualifier and subjective at best.

Local gun stores are besieged in the age of internet sales and ever tightening gun regulations. The same can not be said for car mechanics so your analogy of working on your own vehicle is not analogous. As for sales and property taxes we all pay more than we like.

When people pose questions on a public Internet forum they should not be surprised by spirited dialogue resulting from it. And I don’t think anyone here who shops at local gun stores pays any more money than they have to, I think we feel we receive added value in the service we receive there both during and after the sale. Value too is subjective and not strictly related to price.

Carry on.

You asked the forum for an opinion. Appears some opinions bother you. 

The friendly and professional way would be to absorb what suits and let the rest slide. 

Get your guns and get shooting. 

As an FFL attempting to actually do business I can tell you that the internet can be frustrating place to try and compete with. The simple truth of the matter is I cannot compete with Buds, Sportsmans, Palmetto etc. etc. They are essentially wholesalers selling to the public. They have this power because they can buy in such quantity that direct sales are possible. Sadly I make almost the same amount of money transferring an average new handgun as when I sell it to the customer outright. On the flip side I make zero apologies for when the said internet retailers screw up which in my experience is often. I have customers wanting me to rectify missing magazines, boxes, paperwork and other accessories that are supposed to come with the guns. I happily tell them they need to contact whoever they made the purchase from. Which usually is along drawn out painful process. Buy it from me and I am going to make it right if it's wrong, end of story. I'm always amused by folks that want to say "well it's only a minutes worth of paperwork" LOL. I spend hours maintaining my bound book and making sure my 4473's are in order not to mention multiple sales forms. It's a lot of work for a small time FFL to get lined up with distributors......credit checks, providing photos of your storefront (most won't sign you up if you are not brick and mortar). I think folks honestly think that there is good money in new gun sales, I can assure you that there is NOT.  All I can do it appreciate the customers I have and give the best service when given the chance. If internet gun sales became illegal today, you would not see a tear from my eye. 

Deuce Stevens, thank you for an educated response--and while it still doesn't answer my question this thread has clearly devolved into a free-for-all.   The internet has hurt a lot of industries, and there is no getting past Walmart-which is also online hurting Amazon.  Which is also hurting Walmart sales and Dollar General will probably be online any minute... Oh, wait, they are.

And as far as the other comments--This ain't my first internet rodeo and I clearly did not ask for peoples opinions.  I asked where folks were finding the best prices--and if it was their LGS, they could have IM'ed me.

Instead, I was answered with an obtuse question.  I did not ask: "Do you support your LGS or Internet pricing..?" 

So anything short of "I always found the best price here..." IS looking to start something. 

And my analogy BTW is perfect. If you choose to water it down, that's fine.  There are more gunshops here than gunsmiths, too. 

Now this thread has become of where you CHOOSE to spend your dollars.  I'd rather spend my money on the NRA, GOA and the Second Amendment Foundation. 

Again, your mileage may vary. 

Supporting your local gun shops is always a great thing to do and I do it as much as I can which is more often than not.  However, yes if a online deal is too good to pass on guess what? I get it.  Simple as that.  My (or whoever is purchasing a firearm for themselves) earned money, my/their choice.  If that makes me or someone a villain..... So be it. 

At some point in time, mandatory back ground checks on all firearm transactions will become law......Just a matter of time. At that point it will be interesting to see what the government mandates as the fee to the FFL. I'm a Notary and the law here in MA is I can not charge more than $2.75 for my services. A Notary is a service to the public in the eyes of the law.

Currently FFLs receive from  $20 to  $75 depending on geography. I see that it takes about 30 minutes, all in, to perform a transfer. To keep a simple brick and mortar door open costs roughly XXX dollars per customer ( I've read as much as $120 per customer ..... Monthly carry costs divided by number of customers over the threshold) 

It is clear that unless the FFL is operating from his kitchen table, with zero expenses, most FFLs are losing money on doing transfers.

The firearm industry is in a tailspin right now. Business is horrible! For 8 years the industry has been doing well over 1 million NIC checks a month. That is a HUGE number of new and used gun sales. The market is saturated with firearms. And unlike other consumer goods, a 100 year old gun is usually in fine shape. They simply don't wear out and are then disposed of. 

Add to this how difficult it is in many liberal , high population states to actually buy a firearm and the fact that millenials are not interested in the sport and those that have historically been very interested are ageing and dying off and the future looks bleak........ 

Carry on!

On 3/1/2019 at 5:54 PM, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Maybe you didn’t ask for opinions but your responses clearly set the tone for the feedback you received 

No HB, it didn't.  I asked a decent question and was aggressed by the "customer service" question and responded in like.

Either way this thread is officially now a full blown, pants down, bowel quivering $h!t show.   

P7ssEJt.jpg

3 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

No HB, it didn't.  I asked a decent question and was aggressed by the "customer service" question and responded in like.

Either way this thread is officially now a full blown, pants down, bowel quivering $h!t show.   

P7ssEJt.jpg

Yer going to go far in this game...make many friends!

;)

5 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

P7ssEJt.jpg

As you wish, Buttercup.

Archived