SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 - One piece firing pin

Lawman Mays

Lawman,

Good on you.   Looks like you've done a good job.

After a few months, you can check your magtube spring to see if it has set.

It is possible to have a mag tube spring about 2 cartridge lengths longer than the mag tube and still

get reliable feeding, assuming your magtube is clean, etc...

Remember, you only need enough spring tension to push only 1 round onto the carrier, which will

be your last round.   The compression of the spring will push out the first 9 rounds..... ;)

You can also polish the lever plunger 'HOLE' and the lever plunger.   This allow for a smoother

opening and closing of the lever and will allow your full spring strength to keep the lever from

popping open until you are ready to pop it open yourself.

Lots of little things can be done to enhance the Marlin and you will probably discover some of them

as you work on it.

Best regards

..........Widder

I guess it's just me, but I didn't have a lot of luck with my spring kit.  I changed the hammer spring and got light strikes until I added some washers (shims).  I changed the lever plunger spring and it was too light and I wound up trimming the old spring until I hit the sweet spot.  I only say this not to discourage anyone from making these changes, but to let others know to try any mods you make before you need the rifle for a match.  Mine is in .45 Colt and it is an older Remlin so I don't know if a newer rifle in another caliber would be different.

Archived