SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 - One piece firing pin

Lawman Mays

I bought a Marlin 94 a few weeks ago. It was quite stiff out of the box, so a got the light spring kit and the one piece firing pin. I am in the process of installing the one piece firing pin. There were two pins that had to come out. Do both of these pins go back in or just the middle one?

You only need just the one for it to function, but you can put the second one back in if you want  to. I did just so I wouldn't lose it.

You might also want to install a Ranger Point Extractor. I have in both of my Marlins and it is worth the money IMHO.

15 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

You only need just the one for it to function, but you can put the second one back in if you want  to. I did just so I wouldn't lose it.

You might also want to install a Ranger Point Extractor. I have in both of my Marlins and it is worth the money IMHO.

X2 on the RPP extractor.

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/shop-all/marlin-1894-feed-issues-m-94-extractor-claw-2017-all-new-design/

OLG

15 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Lumpy, I bought two for my 38 spl CBC's and need to get them in before season starts up here. Any tips on installing so I don't bugger up anything?

Thanx,

JC

4 minutes ago, Joe Cross, SASS #13848 L said:

Lumpy, I bought two for my 38 spl CBC's and need to get them in before season starts up here. Any tips on installing so I don't bugger up anything?

Thanx,

JC

Pretty straight forward. Just knock out the pin.

Use a Q-tip to clean out the extractor hole.

Just watch that spring-It wants to escape.......:lol:

My wife's:wub:, .38 CBC will now feed SWC bullets, just as smoothly as it does RNFP. Thanks to the RPP extractor.

OLG

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Pretty straight forward. Just knock out the pin.

Use a Q-tip to clean out the extractor hole. 

Just watch that spring-It wants to escape.......:lol:

My wife's:wub:, .38 CBC will now feed SWC bullets, just as smoothly as it does RNFP. Thanks to the RPP extractor.

OLG

Thanx, OLG. It's gonna be below zero weekend up here, so it's as good a time as any.   Think I'll throw a tarp over me!   :D

JC

Lawman,

Before you try to insert the 'rear' roll pin back int he bolt, make sure your 1-piece firing pin has a ''cut out'

section in the rear of it to allow that other roll pin to be used.

Some 1-piece firing pins are completely rounded at the rear section and will not allow that pin to

be used.

As others have stated, just the one roll pin (in the middle) will work.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Lawman Mays said:

I bought a Marlin 94 a few weeks ago. It was quite stiff out of the box, so a got the light spring kit and the one piece firing pin. I am in the process of installing the one piece firing pin. There were two pins that had to come out. Do both of these pins go back in or just the middle one?

Is this one of the “new” Marlins?...as in newly manufactured?

Other than stiff, how does it shoot?

Thanks

Widder, the back part is rounded. I put the one pin in the middle of the bolt back in, went to the range today and it fired just fine. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Is this one of the “new” Marlins?...as in newly manufactured?

Yes, this is a new Marlin 1894 Cowboy Model, .357/.38 made in late 2018, based on the serial number. After installing the lighter springs and one piece firing pin, it shoots fine. However, I have two objections that I need to address. (1). The spring in the magazine tube is long. It is very hard to push in the 9th and 10th rounds through the loading gate. I cut off about an inch of that spring which helped, but it's still hard to get the 9th and 10th rounds in. (2). The safety on the bottom tang. You really have to close down on the lever pretty hard before the gun will fire. Billy the Avenger has a video on YouTube on how to loosen that spring. I will try that next.

I also use a Codymatic 73 in .44-40 which is smoother and faster than the Marlin, but if I can loosen the safety spring, the Marlin would be close.

Take the butt-stock off and you can 'relax' the tension on the safety plunger spring.

See part #76.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/marlin-model-1894.html?page=4

Get rid of the POS plastic follower.

Get one of slicks SS followers.

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SlickMercantile.html

Shorten the mag spring to where it sticks out of the mag tube about 5 inches is all.

OLG

Lawman,

I 'think' Cowboy Carty sells a spring kit that includes a better 'lever/trigger safety' spring.

ALSO, its safe to cut your mag tube spring to a total length of about 3 cartridge lengths longer than the 

mag tube.   It being a new spring, I would not cut it shorter until it has time to 'set', as some springs

tend to do.

Hey, pick up the phone and give me a shout if you got any questions.   I can share some pointers

on the phone that might help.

..........Widder

865 / 696-1996

Widder--you are always so dang helpful! Slick has that lighter spring in his kit as well.

1 minute ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Thanks Eyesa.   I didn't know that about Slick's kit.

Kinda funny in that I order stuff from Slick periodically and even talk with him frequently.

..........Widder

When I ordered the kit from him for my nephews Marlin, the new spring for the trigger safety were part of the kit. Was way easier than bending the original!

54 minutes ago, Lawman Mays said:

Yes, this is a new Marlin 1894 Cowboy Model, .357/.38 made in late 2018, based on the serial number.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I am considering one of these myself. 

47 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I am considering one of these myself. 

Don't buy a Remlin, unless you have done a 'hands-on' close inspection of the rifle you plan to buy.

OLG

Talking about Marlins. I have a early model Marlin carbine micro grooved barrel no cross bolt safety.I have made all the changes most people do to them, still not happy with the way it run. Will this gun take the late type carrier with just the button detent on the side? I used The Smith Shop stainless mag spring and follower made the gun much easier to load.

Thanks for any help.

Rob 

16 minutes ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Talking about Marlins. I have a early model Marlin carbine micro grooved barrel no cross bolt safety.I have made all the changes most people do to them, still not happy with the way it run. Will this gun take the late type carrier with just the button detent on the side? I used The Smith Shop stainless mag spring and follower made the gun much easier to load.

Thanks for any help.

Rob 

I have an 1982 vintage Marlin carbine, micro-grooved barrel, no cross bolt safety.  The carrier that's in it just has a button detent on the side.  

Just curious... what's happening with your rifle?  Is it that the timing's off a bit? 

51 minutes ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Thanks for any help.

Rob 

How about some details on these issues so we don't have to guess.

Caliber?

Is it FTF, FTE ???

Details on loads.

I been using the M/94 I bought new in 1982 in SASS for over 15 yrs now.

Use a 1 piece FP and a Ranger Point Precision extractor.

OLG

3 minutes ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

The rifle is a 38 Sp./357 Mag.

Not sure what FTF or FTE means.

I use 38 special brass & 125 grain bear creek rnfp.

I also have a 1 piece firing pin & a Ranger Point Extractor, but I'm not sold on it yet.

FTF=Failure to Fire or Failure to Feed.

FTE=Failure to Extract/Eject.

What is the COAL of your loaded round?

OLG

3 hours ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Lumpy,

oal is 1.487 this works find in all my other Marlins. The carbine has failure feeding some times, every once in awhile. That's why I'm thinking the new type carrier if it would work in this gun may help.

Rob 

Take it on out to 1.510 for a few rounds and see.

Then if it's a no go-

Drop down to 1.460-1.470.

OLG

3 hours ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Lumpy,

oal is 1.487 this works find in all my other Marlins. The carbine has failure feeding some times, every once in awhile. That's why I'm thinking the new type carrier if it would work in this gun may help.

Rob 

Also-try swapping carriers around, to see what happens.

OLG

On 3/1/2019 at 10:42 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Please give an update when the mods are done.

Lumpy, Widder et al,

I finished the modifications which include,

1. Lighter hammer spring.

2. Lighter lever plunger spring.

3. Loosening the lever safety spring. There is a video on YouTube which shows how to do it. Part #76.

4. One piece firing pin.

5. Slicking up internal parts that rub against one another when operating the gun. Sanded them with #6 sandpaper, then rubbed down and lightly oiled.

Put everything back together. Had to watch the video a couple of times to complete this process. But, now I know how to do it.

Went to the range this morning and she is running fast and smooth. No jams, misfires or anything else. I ran it about 95% of my match speed and all A-okay.

Lumpy, this is a new Marlin, but the word Remlin is not anywhere on the Rifle or the box. I believe with all the complaints after Remington took over, the company addressed the issues. Remington is now making a good rifle, but for our sport, the mods I made are essential.

Great news :excl:

IF-it should become necessary to stiffen the hammer spring up after it takes a set.

A #10 AN washer, works very well as a shim. ;)

As long as Remmy makes Marlins-They will be called "Remlins" if the BBL is stamped REM. :lol:

OLG

Archived