SASS Wire Forum

ISO front speed sight for 1866 carbine

Sasparilla Groz

New shooter here.  I have a wonderful Uberti 1866 carbine but I have a hard time finding the front sights.  Anyone have an extra speed sight/band they wish to part with?   Also taking recommendations!   thanks!

If you order new sight get the replacement screw with it        GW

Or take a large Winchester primer (brass colored) and empty the guts out of it.  I haven't wanted to chance that with a live primer, so I took a used primer and knocked the firing pin indentation back out so it is smooth.  Then cut or dremel out a notch out of the side of it, and then JB Weld it into place on the stock sight.  Takes a bit of effort but saves you a few bucks.

Slick, I don't see anything on your website that would fit a carbine front sight.  Is it the one that fits over marbles sights?

Thanks guys.  I looked at the one from Pioneer Gun works.  It looks like it might work best but it is more expensive than the Slick sight.  I do have the carbine and appreciate the heads up on getting the old sight band off and to get the replacement screw!

5 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Slick, I don't see anything on your website that would fit a carbine front sight.  Is it the one that fits over marbles sights?

From this website,   http://www.slickmagicguns.com/

Sight - Large Carbine Sight

This is a new design product for the following rifles: 1873 Carbine with barrel band. Winchester "Japanese" 1873. Factory Marlin carbine front sight. This sight is to be tapped straight down onto the existing factory sight. This gives it a nice size brass sight for faster target acquisition.

$26.00

sight.jpg

On 3/6/2019 at 8:26 PM, Sasparilla Groz said:

Goody.  that looks interesting.  I hadn't seen that one.

Slick - Will it fit the 1866 carbine band?

Yes sir, some of the factory sights vary in length from front to back depending on the importer. Some factory blades might require a little filing so it will fit in the Conoe shaped cut out of the brass sight. Just as extra precaution I always use a little JB weld quick set on the top side of the factory blade before tapping the brass sight down. Didn’t even hurt once it’s tapped down to take a tooth pick and run a small bead along the underside between the brass and factory sight. 

Slick

Archived