SASS Wire Forum

Yams Or Sweet Potatoes

Yul Lose

Mrs. Lose asked me to pick up some yams when I went to the store the other day and she instructed me to get yams and not sweet potatoes. I hate sweet potatoes and haven’t eaten one since I left home at 17. Mrs. Lose used to mix them with the dogs food when she made their food when they were alive and I guess she developed a taste for them, anyway she wanted yams. I went to the first store and according to their signs by the sweet potatoes all that they had were sweet potatoes. The next store had sweet potatoes and white yams so I bought white yams. When I got home and unpacked the politically correct fabric grocery bag, that I’m now required to carry my groceries out in Mrs. Lose asked me why I bought sweet potatoes instead of yams and being the astute shopper that I am I produced the receipt that called them white yams. So pards to settle an argument could someone please or many someone’s pleas educate me about the differences between yams and sweet potatoes? 

Here's something to stoke the ........

" That sweet, orange-colored root vegetable that you love so dearly is actually a sweet potato. Yes, all so-called “yams” are in fact sweet potatoes. Most people think that long, red-skinned sweet potatoes are yams, but they really are just one of many varieties of sweet potatoes."

" Sweet potatoes and yams are similar in many ways, so they're often confused with one another. To add to the confusion, canned sweet potatoes are often labeled yams. ... Though you're not likely to find true yams at your grocery store, yams and sweet potatoes are interchangeable in most recipes."

36 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Here's something to stoke the ........

" That sweet, orange-colored root vegetable that you love so dearly is actually a sweet potato. Yes, all so-called “yams” are in fact sweet potatoes. Most people think that long, red-skinned sweet potatoes are yams, but they really are just one of many varieties of sweet potatoes."

" Sweet potatoes and yams are similar in many ways, so they're often confused with one another. To add to the confusion, canned sweet potatoes are often labeled yams. ... Though you're not likely to find true yams at your grocery store, yams and sweet potatoes are interchangeable in most recipes."

So we’re both right, I guess.

https://ncsweetpotatoes.com/sweet-potatoes-101/difference-between-yam-and-sweet-potato/

Yam vs. Sweet Potato:

A true yam is a starchy edible root of the Dioscorea genus, and is generally imported to America from the Caribbean. It is rough and scaly and very low in beta carotene.

Depending on the variety, sweet potato flesh can vary from white to orange and even purple. The orange-fleshed variety was introduced to the United States several decades ago. In order to distinguish it from the white variety everyone was accustomed to, producers and shippers chose the English form of the African word “nyami” and labeled them “yams.”

Today the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires labels with the term ‘yam’ to be accompanied by the term ‘sweet potato.’ Despite the label regulations, most people still think of sweet potatoes as yams regardless of their true identity.

Think you know the differences between yams and sweet potatoes? Take our quiz and test your root knowledge!

https://ncsweetpotatoes.com/pop-quiz-sweet-potato-or-yam/

Even though the USDA requires that orange-colored sweet potatoes always be labeled “sweet potato,” most people still think of sweet potatoes as yams regardless of their true identity. Think you know the differences between yams and sweet potatoes? Take our quiz and test your root knowledge!

Sweet Potato, Yam or Both?sweet-potato-on-wood-300x268.jpg
  1. I am a tuberous root with sweet moist flesh.
  2. I am originally from Africa and seldom sold in U.S. markets.
  3. I am super sweet and can grow over seven feet in length!
  4. My skin can range from thin and pale to dark and thick.
  5. I am toxic when eaten raw, but perfectly safe when cooked.
  6. I have rough skin that is difficult to peel and can even be hairy at times, but it softens when baked.
  7. My flesh can sometimes be purple!
  8. I have an oblong body with tapered ends.
Answersholding-sweet-potato-213x300.jpg
  1. Both. Sweet potatoes and yams are considered tuberous roots, and both are sweet and delicious.
  2. Yam. Are you surprised? Yams grow in tropical climates, primarily in South America, Africa and the Caribbean.
  3. Yam. They have a higher sugar content than sweet potatoes and can grow to be enormous!
  4. Sweet potato. Paler skinned sweet potatoes have white flesh which is not as sweet and moist as the darker-skinned, orange-fleshed sweet potatoes.
  5. Yam. Unlike the sweet potato, yams must be cooked to be safely eaten. Preparation is a time-consuming process involving several minutes of pounding and boiling to remove toxins.
  6. Yam. Sweet potato skin is thinner and smoother.
  7. Both. Purple Okinawan sweet potato is often confused with the purple yam called ube.
  8. Sweet potato. It can be short and fat or long and thin, but it will always taper at the ends.

What's wrong with you lot..sweet potatoes are great eating:D..yams ' well ain't had much to do with them..but they look the same..I think you did well Yul to come home with something in the bag. !!

I have sweet potatoes about twice a week. They're loaded with nutrients. No salt or butter and they taste great!;) 

9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Then again how they are prepared makes a difference as well. 

This is true.

The first half dozen times I ate sweet potatoes, before I put my foot down and absolutely refused to put the nasty things in my mouth anymore, it was that mashed sweet potato casserole with melted marshmallows on top for Thanksgiving dinner.

There may be some other way of cooking them it makes them edible, but I don't wish to risk it.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

This is true.

The first half dozen times I ate sweet potatoes, before I put my foot down and absolutely refused to put the nasty things in my mouth anymore, it was that mashed sweet potato casserole with melted marshmallows on top for Thanksgiving dinner.

There may be some other way of cooking them it makes them edible, but I don't wish to risk it.

Same here. Those baked sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top that my folks forced me to eat as a kid three or four times a year did it for me too.

I never got enough of sweet potatoes - I got one serving and the second time the dish came around all I got was a wish.  I LOVE them - baked, fried, boiled, steamed -mashed - whatever.  

STL Suomi

Try them sliced and raw.  Snack on them at shoots. Been told they are great for the diabetics among us.

Once you eat one of my wife's Sweet Potato pies :wub: you'll never want a pumpkin pie again.  I have made converts of a lot a of people that claimed  that sweet potatoes were nasty.  

19 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

so somebody post a recipe and give us a chance to "taste gretness"

1. Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.

2. Throw sweet potatoes in trash can.

3. Turn off oven.

4. Drive to a good restaurant for steak and real baked potato.

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

1. Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.

2. Throw sweet potatoes in trash can.

3. Turn off oven.

4. Drive to a good restaurant for steak and real baked potato.

I’ll join you.:D

Sweet Potato Pie

Ingredients

* 1 (1 pound) sweet potato
    * 1/2 cup butter, softened
    * 1 cup white sugar
    * 1/2 cup milk
    * 2 eggs
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Directions

1. Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin.
   2. Break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
   3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools.

I recommend blond baking the crust before adding the filling so that you don’t have a soggy bottom crust.  How to blind bake.

1.  Place your crust in the pan, and crimp the edge. Line the crust with a parchment round (9″, for a 9″ pie), or paper coffee filter.
2.  Add pie weights, dry rice, dried beans or (as I’ve done here) dry wheat berries, enough to fill the pan 2/3 full. Chill the crust for 30 minutes; this will solidify the fat, which helps prevent shrinkage.
3.  Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 20 minutes.
4.  Remove the pie from the oven, and lift out the paper and weights. Prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork, to prevent bubbles. Return the crust to the oven and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until the crust is golden all over.

30 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I recommend blond baking the crust before adding the filling so that you don’t have a soggy bottom crust.  How to blind bake.

"Blond baking?" :huh:

2 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

so somebody post a recipe and give us a chance to "taste gretness"

Heat oven to ~375 F.  Scrub some sweet potatoes.  Line a pan with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray, or lightly oil or grease the foil.

Put potatoes in pan, place in oven.  Bake until fork tender and juices are oozing out*. Remove from oven.  Split open, add butter, salt, and pepper to taste.  Enjoy.

*this can take anywhere between 45 minutes and an hour and a half depending on  the size.

Alternative to salt and pepper is dark brown sugar.

A recipe I came up  with:

Apple & Oriental Sweet Potato Crisp

Ingredients:

3 Apples, preferably 2 Opal and 1 Granny Smith

1 Oriental Sweet Potato, large, about 1 ½ pounds.

½ Cup Butter, diced or grated

½ Cup AP Flour

¾ Cup Cherrios Oat Crunch Cereal(preferably from the bottom of a half full box).

Cooking spray.

Heat oven to 350℉.

Grease a 9 x 9 baking pan.

Fill a 4 to 6 qt. about half full of water and bring to boil. 

While that is coming up to a boil peel and slice the Sweet Potato, preferably on a mandolin set to 4mm.  When water is starting to boil add the Sweet Potato slices.  Boil 3 to 5 minutes, drain and cool.  You don’t want them mushy.
Peel, core, and slice the apples. 

Place a layer of apples in the pan, then sweet potatoes, apples, sweet potatoes, and end with a layer of apples.

Mix together the flour and brown sugar.  Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or your favorite method.  Spread over the top of the apples.

Place the pan on a rimmed sheet just in case it boils over.  Put in hot oven and bake 45 min. to 50 min.

Serve hot or cold.  Can be a breakfast main, a dinner side. 

Don't remember where I got this one:

Sweet Potato Colcannon Recipe

3 very large or 4 medium sweet potatoes
2 medium leeks
1 bunch collard greens
3 tablespoons olive oil
Zest of 1/2 orange
1 to 2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sweet cream butter

1. Boil a large pot of water. Peel sweet potatoes if desired. Cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.

2. Trim bottom 1/4 inch and top 2 inches from leeks. Slice each in half lengthwise and soak in a bowl of water, swishing to remove sand and grit. Repeat with clean water if leeks are gritty. Dry leeks, then chop into 1/4-inch half-moons.

3. Rinse collards, shake to dry and tear each leaf from thickest part of stem (discard stems). Gather leaves, roll like a cigar and chop roughly.

4. Place sweet potatoes in boiling water, and boil for about 15 minutes. Place olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add leeks and stir regularly for 3 to 4 minutes until they begin to soften. Add greens and continue to stir until wilted, no more than 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

5. Cut largest potato chunk in half. If center is hard, cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. When soft to center, drain and return to pot. Add orange zest, salt, pepper and butter. Mash with a handheld potato masher or large fork until you’ve reached desired texture.

6. Add greens and leeks, stir and adjust seasonings to taste. This can be made a day ahead and heated in a covered casserole dish. Serves 4

14 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Sweet Potato Pie

Ingredients

* 1 (1 pound) sweet potato
    * 1/2 cup butter, softened
    * 1 cup white sugar
    * 1/2 cup milk
    * 2 eggs
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Directions

1. Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin.
   2. Break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
   3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools.

That's my recipe. I only use half the sugar and 2 tsp pumpkin spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg.

40 minutes ago, Snake River Clay SASS #34984 said:

That's my recipe. I only use half the sugar and 2 tsp pumpkin spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg.

I usually cut the sugar back as well.  

1 hour ago, Snake River Clay SASS #34984 said:

Pumpkin pie spice is usually cinnamon, nutmeg , ginger , cloves, maybe mace instead of nutmeg, so you are only a little different.

3 hours ago, Snake River Clay SASS #34984 said:

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I usually cut the sugar back as well.  

I think that a lot of the recipes out for sweet potato pie are from before some of the naturally sweeter varieties were available.  What was just right 75 years ago is often too sweet now.

Archived