SASS Wire Forum

Changing Cocked Rifle Penalty

Null N. Void

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Naw. I can't run a marlin. 1873. 

Me either. You must be talented to get a piece of brass to stick to the top of a carrier on a 1873.

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Me either. You must be talented to get a piece of brass to stick to the top of a carrier on a 1873.

I'm more than just another pretty face around here Ty. If it can be messed up, I can do it. I'll show you how to eject a spent 12ga hull and have it land back on the carrier with an 87 too. 

It was rescheduled and took place on Stage 5, inside the Saloon on Saturday at 5:30. The biggest thing that I took away from the meeting was that there seems to be a lack of enthusiasm within the TG group as a whole. Misty commented on the email that she sent out inquiring about interest in a Summit. She said that many TG didn't even bother to open the email, and many others expressed a non interest.. For the first time ever, I just sat there and didn't say a one word. 

(Branch water Jacks quote) 

If this is the case with the TGs then do away with them, the system is broke.

Just take any proposed rule changes like this last lot from the 2018 meeting to the ROC and let them make the final decision.

On the other hand if there is no interest from TGs for a special summit, then forget about that too, why not declare the TG meeting at EOT a 'summit'.

TGs that cannot make it submit a proxy voting form like what is done at most other business AGMs indicating how their respective club members wanted to vote.

There seems to be plenty of WB rule changes going on without a TG summit!

On 2/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, McCandless said:

So, what do you want to do with the rebounding hammer Winchesters, where when you close the action and drop the hammer, the hammer automatically resets into the safety notch.  Now shooters who use a Winchester are ok to have the hammer in safety, but everybody else gets penalized? 

I have a Uberti in my hands now.  Safety notch does not allow the trigger to be pulled or the hammer to be dropped.  I can't even make it budge by pushing on it.  (Just for grins, I tried it on my original Winchester... works just the same way).  The safety notch is just that, for safety. 

If by any chance there was a live round in a chamber, walking with the hammer down, firing pin on the primer, is much more dangerous.

The shooter should know his/her rifle. They know it has a rebounding hammer and how to make the hammer fully down. There is no exclusion in the current rules for one kind of rifle versus the other. If the hammer will push forward, it's not on a safety notch and is a no call. It's not only those rifles. If a uberti has a too lax spring the hammer wont stay forward at the bolt either. If you push it forward it will move though.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:44 AM, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

There seems to be plenty of WB rule changes going on without a TG summit!

That's because the TG's have nothing to due with WB rules.

That is done by the WB rules committee consisting of Happy Jack, Texas Jack Morales, Legendary Lawman, and Boggus Deal.

Marshal Stone

3 hours ago, Marshal Stone, SASS #53366 said:

That's because the TG's have nothing to due with WB rules.

That is done by the WB rules committee consisting of Happy Jack, Texas Jack Morales, Legendary Lawman, and Boggus Deal.

Marshal Stone

I did realize this, so maybe we should have just the ROC committee and do away with the TG's and a TG summit for CAS?

1 hour ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

I did realize this, so maybe we should have just the ROC committee and do away with the TG's and a TG summit for CAS?

Seems to me that is already the case as there have not been any recent summits.

In the past the WB or BoD have dictated rules or a rule change whenever they think it is necessary. As an example, wasn't it done that way with BP smoke standards and covenants?

I'm not head over heels either way on changing the rule or not. If I had to say one way or the other, I'd say leave it. That is only because I always ask myself "what will this do or mean or lead to" with almost all decisions. Some examples follow:

1)If allowed to be on the safety notch, a shooter could conceivably cut their own safety notch at almost full stroke  thinking the hammer being back farther will let them get their first shot off faster. They would be within the rules depending on how it was written and could be a potential safety issue if it failed with a round under the hammer.

2)If allowed People could become lax for the no call and not notice a hammer at full cock.

3) How will this affect a revolver hammer not being all the way down.

(If you think number one is far fetched, you havent seen facebook in a while).

If the rule stays:

1)Some people will be sdq'd for not having the hammer all the way down.

I have a question, not being a TG and really only trying to learn the inner workings of sass. Can TG's call their own meeting or summit? Does the ROC have to be present? Can the TG's going to EOT  just say "hey, we're gonna meet for a vote out back of the wood shed"? If a TG wants to vote and can't make it, Reply their vote by email to read at the meeting. Publish the results of who voted for what, that way you the shooters know if your TGs are representing you the way you want them to.

Sorry for the long post.

28 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I'm not head over heels either way on changing the rule or not. If I had to say one way or the other, I'd say leave it. That is only because I always ask myself "what will this do or mean or lead to" with almost all decisions. Some examples follow:

1)If allowed to be on the safety notch, a shooter could conceivably cut their own safety notch at almost full stroke  thinking the hammer being back farther will let them get their first shot off faster. They would be within the rules depending on how it was written and could be a potential safety issue if it failed with a round under the hammer.

2)If allowed People could become lax for the no call and not notice a hammer at full cock.

3) How will this affect a revolver hammer not being all the way down.

(If you think number one is far fetched, you havent seen facebook in a while).

If the rule stays:

1)Some people will be sdq'd for not having the hammer all the way down.

I have a question, not being a TG and really only trying to learn the inner workings of sass. Can TG's call their own meeting or summit? Does the ROC have to be present? Can the TG's going to EOT  just say "hey, we're gonna meet for a vote out back of the wood shed"? If a TG wants to vote and can't make it, Reply their vote by email to read at the meeting. Publish the results of who voted for what, that way you the shooters know if your TGs are representing you the way you want them to.

Sorry for the long post.

No ,TG's can't call their  own summit, proxy's can and have been sent in with others if a TG can't make the meeting.. there is no record of who votes how. Email voting has been discussed and vetoed by the Wild Bunch several times .

On 2/28/2019 at 9:22 AM, McCandless said:

So, what do you want to do with the rebounding hammer Winchesters, where when you close the action and drop the hammer, the hammer automatically resets into the safety notch.  Now shooters who use a Winchester are ok to have the hammer in safety, but everybody else gets penalized? 

I have a Uberti in my hands now.  Safety notch does not allow the trigger to be pulled or the hammer to be dropped.  I can't even make it budge by pushing on it.  (Just for grins, I tried it on my original Winchester... works just the same way).  The safety notch is just that, for safety. 

If by any chance there was a live round in a chamber, walking with the hammer down, firing pin on the primer, is much more dangerous.

There is a video of carty test firing a miroku on the wire now. In the video the first thing you see is the hammer against the firing pin and that is the way I remember them. Not sure what the difference is that you are referring to.

Archived