SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Values

Ramblin Gambler

Wondering if someone can give me an idea how much a marlin is worth.  Got a 336 in a pawn shop that caught my eye.  It's made in 1949 and is a 32 special.  I'm more of a winchester fan, and if this was a winny in similar shape I'd have a good idea of the value.  Closest I can find with an internet search is posts from 5-10 years ago saying they go for about $400. Has that price held steady?  It's got some dings and worn finish, but overall it's solid.  About the only thing wrong with it is that they put that peep sight on.  That's probably not a bad thing, I bet it makes a good sight.  But In the process they removed the ramp for the original rear sight and installed a taller front sight. 

Marlin4.thumb.jpg.8474014a70a7a8b19d4b744156d352a0.jpgMarlin2.thumb.jpg.eb056fd60dac3057d6c08f464b78d5bb.jpgMarlin1.thumb.jpg.13ea42b260fca561d9b93eef3570d696.jpgI

Marlin3.jpg

Well, for one thing, that Lyman 66LA receiver sight is a hunnert bucks plus these days... and that's for the new, aluminum bodied version.  The older (superior) ones were steel...

And it's a very, very good sight - I've had one on my 336 for the last 48 years. 

So... what's the price tag on this gaspipe...?   :huh:

33 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So... what's the price tag on this gaspipe...?   :huh:

$650

I fooled with the sight and as far as I can tell it's functioning right.  I didn't run the screws all the way in and out, up and down, but I moved them and the sight moved accordingly. 

My only problem with those kinda sights is that they don't look right.  If you want a peep sight, you need to get one for the tang. 

17 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

$650

I fooled with the sight and as far as I can tell it's functioning right.  I didn't run the screws all the way in and out, up and down, but I moved them and the sight moved accordingly. 

My only problem with those kinda sights is that they don't look right.  If you want a peep sight, you need to get one for the tang. 

Well... they don't have the "nostalgic" look of the tang sight, but they are very stable and stout, and windage adjustable. The Lyman tang sights are not windage adjustable, although we've managed some minor adjustment shimming one side or the other.  This, however, can result in an exaggerated effect at longer range, as the  mast won't be perfectly vertical.  Kind of a pain to do, but you can drift the front sight instead.

Now, the Marble's tang sights are windage adjustable.  Not as much as the Lyman 66, but usually enough to suffice.  And the Marble's has the advantage of having different height masts available - not that you'd be likely to use it for reeeal long range shooting, but if you wanted to, the sight would work.  

Depending on how it's mounted, some find that the tang sight makes for an awkward grip. 

But for the really bad news:  Marlin 336's typically have the serial number stamped on the top tang.  Mounting a tang sight will at best cover the number, and at worse deface the number by drilling.  However, of this rifle's vintage, the serial number may be on the lower tang - if it is, it may also appear on the side of the upper tang, covered by the stock - you'd be good to go.  ;)

All that said, and assuming the bore's good, I'd think the price is still a mite high.  If I was in the market for one, I'd offer a hundred less than he's asking.  And if he took it, I'd be a right happy camper.   *:D big grin

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

But for the really bad news:  Marlin 336's typically have the serial number stamped on the top tang.  Mounting a tang sight will at best cover the number, and at worse deface the number by drilling.  However, of this rifle's vintage, the serial number may be on the lower tang - if it is, it may also appear on the side of the upper tang, covered by the stock - you'd be good to go.

In this case it is on the lower tang.  I think the upper tang had the marlin logo on it. 

2 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

IMO that is a $500 rifle at best , due to the cal , even tho I like the 32 spc , and have dies and brass , it hurts resale value in my area 

Chickasaw 

So in this case a rare caliber doesn't help the value?  Is that because it's not in good enough shape to be a real collector's piece? 

There are a zillion variables that go into a gun’s value. Caliber. Age. Quantity produced. Etccccccccc.....

However, the most important variable is how much does the potential buyer want the gun at the time it’s offered. This trumps all others. 

Personally, I love the 336 design and it’s of a vintage and condition that are desirable to me. I also like the peep sight. But the caliber makes it useless to me and what I’d want it for. 

I have a couple of Marlin .30-30's one is older and in similar condition and if someone offered me $300.00 for it I'd put a bow on it.  I like the sight on that gun though and the off caliber.  I'd give 400-450 if in the market, but agree with everyone else-asking price is high.

Howdy,

So check thru gunbroker, especially the completed auctions.

And maybe make an offer.

Missing or damaged original parts hurts any sort of collector value.

Best

CR

34 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I can't figure out how to see completed auctions on gunbroker.  I saw them once or twice years ago, but lately the button seems to have disappeared. 

Well, you have to log on to Gunbroker...

Select "Advanced," then instead of "Current Items" select "Completed Items," in Search Words enter "marlin 336 .32 special."   Under "Item Condition" Select Used.

That oughtta do it!  ^_^

Who Told you the year it was made ????

For-end and Butstock don't jive with that vintage nor does the Checkering ...

Photos can mislead though ...

Jabez Cowboy

47 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Who Told you the year it was made ????

For-end and Butstock don't jive with that vintage nor does the Checkering ...

Photos can mislead though ...

Jabez Cowboy

The shop did.  But I have the SN.  F24xxx.  The F is supposed to mean 1949.  Now that I'm looking closely at the SN, I notice it's all wompy jawed.  I need to check and see if that's normal for marlins. 

It is a 336 A DL, which is the deluxe model.  Does that account for the checkering at least if not also the fore-end and buttstock? 

Here's everything for the Marlin 336 ADL from the Blue Book, 39th Edition:

• F serial number prefix is 1949.
  • Model 336 ADL was mfg from 1948-62.
  • Value: 100%, $750; 98%, $575; 95%, $550; 90%, 450; 80%, $375; 70%, $325; 60%, $275.
  • Add 20% for 2nd model (1957-1962).
  • Add 20% for .32 Spl. or .35 Rem. cal.

The 336ADL 1st model (mfg.1948-1956) did not have a raised comb or cheekpiece.  The 2nd model (mfg. 1957-1962) is identifiable by a Monte Carlo buttstock with raised comb and cheekpiece. Wood was supplied by Bishop.

Hope that helps some,

BS

The checkering looks to be Pressed and Not cut ... And the Forearm looks far bulkier than it should....  It looks as bulkie as the Modern 1895s.

Jabez Cowboy

No... I'm pretty sure the checkering is cut - but with 70 years wear.  Certainly not the quality you'd find on a Holland & Holland, but adequate.  Compare to the pressed checkering of an older Remington and the difference is obvious.

More on the Lyman 66 sight...  Here's an excerpt from an article Chuck Hawks wrote about fifteen years ago:

In the case of a .32 Winchester Special rifle shooting a 170 grain bullet at a MV of 2250 fps, the load I was using in the test rifle, set the sights to put the bullet 2.9" high at 100 yards. The maximum point blank range (+/- 3") is then 209 yards. This is as far, or farther, than I want to shoot with any type of iron sights.

The proof is in the shooting. The Lyman receiver sight cut my 100 yard group size about in half. The ultra precise Lyman is arguably the best receiver sight on the market. Its MSRP is also among the highest, at $72 (in 2004) direct from Lyman. Visit the Lyman web page to place an order.

The precision, all steel, construction of the Lyman 66 receiver sight is confidence inspiring. A world of difference is evident when a Lyman receiver sight is compared to the cheap open sights supplied with most rifles. The Lyman's precise windage and elevation adjustments alone will probably save you the cost of the sight in ammunition saved the first time the rifle is sighted-in.

Certainly not SASS legal, but perhaps the perfect hunting sight!  ^_^

folks  , please recall the  Blue Book is a national avg , of retail prices , and subject to local conditions , 

and is pretty well out dated by the time it is printed , a good REFERANCE , but not a hard value 

grading is subjective , most are graded too high on the used market IMO 

as to the odd cals , that is limited , collector vs shooter , a shooter , even if a reloader , will figure in the cost of feeding it 

just a couple of thought , I figure will be of value , then again it may be worth what you paid for it 

Chickasaw 

Thanks everybody.  I decided I'm going to stop by the gun store every time I'm in the area (which is usually once or twice a month) and offer him $500 cash until he either sells it or bans me from the store.  It's been on his shelf for about 6 months now.  He's got to suspect it might be priced too high.  I'll be passing by this afternoon on the way home. 

16 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Is anyone willing to look it up in the blue book for me?  I don't have one yet.  In fact, I'm about to buy one tonight. I'm most curious about whether the caliber adds or subtracts value. 

I tried to but the wire reset appears to have deleted my posting.  Thanks Barry S for posting it.

Archived