SASS Wire Forum

WR, The Match

Snakebite

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
8 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

We have already decided to do that Dead Head, there will be boardwalk in stage 6, which means we probably won't have rain on Winter Range again for 5+ years.:D

TB

May I suggest looking into non skid coatings  . :FlagAm:

On 2/26/2019 at 6:43 PM, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

After the 2006 "100 year" rain and flood on Fri. night and Sat., and the Sat. stages had to be cancelled in the scoring, and some shooters were really upset,  some folks suggested moving Winter Range to early Nov. when the weather has always been great.  Some folks said that Nov. is not "winter" and I said "you folks have never lived in the Midwest part of the USA".  I know that reserving time at Ben Avery is usually a 3 year in advance situation, but if the board would think about it, maybe WR could be moved to a better time of the year in the future.  There would also be almost a 5 month break between WR and EOT  for folks to save up for both events.  Just my thoughts.  

Currently 75°F and sunny, and it is still February.

We try and do the best we can. Suggestions will be talked about. None of us like the mud, cold and rain but we tried to adjust and make it as tolerable as we could. Also remember this is the national championship. Champions deal with whatever comes there way and go forward. In my book everyone at this match was a champion given the circumstances. Thanks for all the feedback.

12 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

During the main match I spent all three days on the range all day long basically 8-5, if I wasn't shooting I was match RO'ing. The weather was  the worst combination of conditions I've ever shot in. I've been colder, I've been wetter but never all at once LOL. All in all I felt terrible for the good folks of WR to have the weather luck that they did. They made the best of a bad week and the match was great. I shot my worst 4 stages on Saturday.........the nice day LOL so I have no room to complain as apparently this Michigan boy felt more at home in the bad weather. I'm not sure what one can do that they didn't do that would be practical in such conditions. I'm just lucky that I listened to the little voice that told me to throw in my mud boots and heavy Carhartt jacket. I'll be back next year after all a terrible day in AZ is better than an average Feb. day in MI and it beats working. 

Certainly the worse of three day match I have seen also, and no doubt you have seen worse in MI. Heck, it rains much harder in NE Tx and it sure gets colder in MI.  I  appreciate some match rule changing by RO committee to allow more comfort in warmth and rain (logo wear, rubber boots, etc)...."shoot in what you have" I believe was the main objective.....excellent. 

I for one saw that I could do it, maybe this will be incentive in future when weather gets bad at match.  Posse 28 was a proud bunch with all 22 showing up for three rotations with duties to be done (not to mention shooting). 

I felt concern and a sorrow for all the vendors, I know they surely suffered.

1 minute ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Certainly the worse of three day match I have seen also, and no doubt you have seen worse in MI. Heck, it rains much harder in NE Tx and it sure gets colder in MI.  I  appreciate some match rule changing by RO committee to allow more comfort in warmth and rain (logo wear, rubber boots, etc)...."shoot in what you have" I believe was the main objective.....excellent. 

I for one saw that I could do it, maybe this will be incentive in future when weather gets bad at match.  Posse 28 was a proud bunch with all 22 showing up for three rotations with duties to be done (not to mention shooting). 

I felt concern and a sorrow for all the vendors, I know they surely suffered.

Actually the vendors surprisingly did ok. Not really any complaints and most if not all said will be back next year.

5 hours ago, MBFields said:

Actually the vendors surprisingly did ok. Not really any complaints and most if not all said will be back next year.

Thanks for reply MB, grad to know they are anxious for 2020.  We have certainly had a few trying match days over the last 20 years but none like this year, seems they understand that.  We all may have learned that we can endure, but will hope for some of that fantastic weather that can be had at Winter Range in the year 2020..

This has been one of my favorite cowboy matches I've shot. I will do my wildbunch review on the wildbunch wire. It was great to attend this match after 10 years of being absent from WR. After having a stage dq on my first stage, the next 11 stages were shot for fun. good target distance. good movement for what the range would allow. good allowance of long gun staging. good shooter decision stage writing. left hand shooter stage writing. constant help and workers during the day. gorgeous props. It really was a pleasure to shoot. the weather was horrible but thats something out of their control. Sure they could have done this or that a bit better for the weather but is it really something worth complaining about? Im sure they know a few things that could have been better but i never saw anyone helping or working with the match accept defeat. You could have literally done everything perfect to accommodate for the weather and still have people complaining. its even funnier when people are complaining that didn't even attend the match. Certainly recommend attending this match if you can! 

1 hour ago, LAST CHANCE said:

This has been one of my favorite cowboy matches I've shot. I will do my wildbunch review on the wildbunch wire. It was great to attend this match after 10 years of being absent from WR. After having a stage dq on my first stage, the next 11 stages were shot for fun. good target distance. good movement for what the range would allow. good allowance of long gun staging. good shooter decision stage writing. left hand shooter stage writing. constant help and workers during the day. gorgeous props. It really was a pleasure to shoot. the weather was horrible but thats something out of their control. Sure they could have done this or that a bit better for the weather but is it really something worth complaining about? Im sure they know a few things that could have been better but i never saw anyone helping or working with the match accept defeat. You could have literally done everything perfect to accommodate for the weather and still have people complaining. its even funnier when people are complaining that didn't even attend the match. Certainly recommend attending this match if you can! 

No doubt that WR is a great match and very well run. But the complaining regarding the mud issues have been around for a long time.

I didn't go this year as I had a one year birthday party to attend... Does this negate my ability to comment?

Phantom

This is only about 2/3 of the boardwalk that we have already made. Although we have discussed the need for more, the question is where do we stop? Every vendor wants it inside and outside their tent. And painting or coating it? We already have to recoat the floors in the permanent stages (Saloon, Fort & Coosie's) every other year because we can't find anything that holds up longer than that. I would love to find a product that would hold up to 750+ pairs of cowboy boots year after year.

boardwalk.thumb.jpeg.6e22916c77f6600fa251bbe6a35d8cf7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

It is “Winter” Range.  What about “Winter” is misunderstood?

I don't think anyone is under the impression that the weather should be anything but winter...I don't see where you got that from.

All I see is folks trying to figure out how to best make the match consistent as possible and as safe as possible.

Phantom

14 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

All I see is folks trying to figure out how to best make the match consistent as possible and as safe as possible.

Phantom

Phantom nailed it. Our goal is to put on a match that is safe, consistent, and most of all FUN. Your feedback is a huge part of our continuing success. Thanks.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:03 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

No doubt that WR is a great match and very well run. But the complaining regarding the mud issues have been around for a long time.

I didn't go this year as I had a one year birthday party to attend... Does this negate my ability to comment?

Phantom

Phantom - NOTHING negates your ability to comment :) We love you man!

Archived