SASS Wire Forum

45LC vs Schofield

I know the differences between the two cartridges (Schofield being shorter length with slightly larger rim), but before I go off and buy a bunch of brass and dies and all the accoutrements needed for yet another caliber I have a few questions:

1. For SASS is there any appreciable difference between the two WRT shooting, functionality in arms, or other?

2. Dumb question - any problems with using these in Uberti Schofields?

3. How well do the various SASS lever guns function with this cartridge?

I used the 45 Schofield in my Uberti 1860 Colts with conversion cylinders with no problems due to the 45 Colt length leaving little OAL wiggle room in the cylinder. I still shoot 45 Schofield in my Uberti Cattleman 45 Colt revolvers with no problems. I know a few others who shoot the 45 Schofield in their Uberti '73 and Marlin 94, 45 Colt with no problems. I suggest you find a pard who shoots them and ask if you can see if they will function in your particular firearm.

Schofields run fine in my Uberti '73.  I use a 250 gr bullet (it's my Wild Bunch round) and a 200 gr would cycle the same.  I tried some Black Hills 180 gr Schofield dummy rounds and they were too short to cycle in the '73.  YMMV.

As long as you use a long enough bullet they usually work in toggle action rifles, revolvers really don't matter. This does mean that in general you need a larger bullet than you would need using 45 Colt brass. So if you are looking to reduce recoil this may not be the best way to go.

I have the time and Schofield's extract much more positively than .45Colt rounds.  So, I load 160's for my pistols and 250's for my rifles.  Works great!

Archived