SASS Wire Forum

WINTER RANGE Boy Scout Troop.....Contact?

Rancho Roy

First of all, Thanks to the Boy Scouts who picked brass at Winter Range. I hope they were financially rewarded for all their hard work.

I'm staying at the Ben Avery Clay Target Center this year. I made an early morning dumpster run and when I opened the 6yd dumpster I was surprised to see it nearly half full with empty shotgun hulls.

I see on various shotgun classified sites that folks are selling once fired shotgun shells quite successfully.

I wonder if the Boy Scouts would be interested in these shells to clean and resell as they did with our cowboy brass.

If someone knows how to contact them, might be worth a call.........

Shotgun hulls do not need to be cleaned prior to reloading.  There are so many variations hulls as to construction, interior volume, durability etc... that you'd need to sort them.  Other than AA and STS/Nitros there isn't real demand.  

The Phoenix area Boy Scouts are quite aware there are lots of hulls at Ben Avery.   But, cowboy shooter interest in those is SO low, that it's VERY hard to handle them and make any money for their adventures.  That troop in Phoenix tried it before, with dismal results.  Couldn't sell most of them, and the parents did not know how to sort out the hulls very well. 

Troops in the Albuquerque area found exactly same response to shotgun hulls fired at EOT.    It COST the troops more money and required lots of parental labor to try to get the hulls into well sorted lots, and then VERY few of the shooters wanted to be bothered with the transport home of a large volume of hulls.  So we even tried selling hulls after the match by mail delivery.   Cost more to pack and ship the hulls than shooters were willing to pay.

Here's one major reason that cowboy hulls are less sought after than trap and skeet hulls -

Shotshells that have been stepped on and over for a day (as the ones are that could be collected by the Phoenix scouts in their after-school recovery efforts) are worthless to most reloaders because a stepped on hull can not easily be sized back to round.  The plastic has memory that brass cases do not, and they retain their deformed shape after loading, and that causes hard chambering and ejection in cowboy shotguns.

And I'm sure this year's cowboy hulls came up off the ground wearing thick mud coats.  Another problem!

So, no need to tell the Scouts something they already know.    :lol:

But thanks for thinking of them!   :FlagAm:

At EOT, we have gone to brass and hull recovery after each shooter by our Scouts and 4-H workers.   We can do that because boys are out of school in June.   Can't do that at WR because it's February!

Head of Brass Recovery by Troop 285 at EOT for previous 11 years,   

GJ

PS -

I'm staying at the Ben Avery Clay Target Center this year. I made an early morning dumpster run and when I opened the 6yd dumpster I was surprised to see it nearly half full with empty shotgun hulls.

Yep, there was ALSO a major Clays match at the Ben Avery shotgun fields recently.   Practice for and conduct of that match I'm sure generated those hulls.   Most Clays events do not try to recycle hulls.  It's normally considered fair game for their shooters to dumpster dive, but all that are normally desirable for reloading are the Win AAs and Rem STSs, as Shotgun Clay indicated above.   If YOU wanted some of those hulls, check with the shotgun HQ and they'll probably tell you to go get them before trash haulers take them away.

Good luck, GJ

Joe, sorry for the confusion.....I'm not talking Cowboy Hulls....I'm talking about Trap and Skeet hulls over at the Clay Target Center.

Totally understand the issues with cowboy hulls......But good quality, once fired , trap and skeet hulls do indeed sell.....Cabelas sells them, Bass Pro sells them, Precision Reloading sells them and many others. I buy them myself!

46 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

Trap and Skeet hulls over at the Clay Target Center.

Totally understand the issues with cowboy hulls......But good quality, once fired , trap and skeet hulls do indeed sell.....Cabelas sells them, Bass Pro sells them, Precision Reloading sells them and many others. I buy them myself!

Yes, but to avoid the high cost of shipping hulls to folks, the Troop would have to do that dumpster diving a week or more BEFORE Winter Range, and hope they can sell bags of sorted hulls to Cowboys.   And they still wouldn't make much if they did that.  And parents would have to be good with Scouts unloading dumpsters - where there might be hypodermic needles and other medical hazards in today's lawless age.   

Troops don't have a retail shop at which they sell reloading supplies without incurring shipping costs.  So, enjoy the diving yourself - Scouts will continue to find other ways to raise funds.  If they thought they could raise funds being a labor force for Bass Pro, they would have been doing this for years.   Scouts ENJOY WR and EOT, and like helping the shooters with their brass recovery.   Helping Bass Pro, etc. - not so much.

Good luck, GJ

Archived