SASS Wire Forum

Who carries a revolver

Rye Miles #13621

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a rescue gun that was made from an old Brazilian Model 1917 Smith & Wesson .45 that I picked up when I saw the description of it in an ad.  It sounded like the perfect carry piece.  The original barrel was replaced with an underlug barrel and an FDL Wondersight was put on it.  The whole gun was hard chromed and I put the Tyler T-Grip on it.  There was internal work done and the gun locks up like a bank vault.  I don't know who did the work, but the gun shoots like a dream.  I like to think that somebody took a gun with a shot out barrel and put it back into good use.  

I got the gun from a dealer up in Massachusetts.  Does anybody recognize the work?

DSCN0018.JPG

DSCN0019.JPG

DSCN0016.JPG

A Charter Arms .38 snubby in the car (as well as a 1911 in .45), and a 5.5" SAA .45 on my belt except when I'm wearing a suit coat or sport jacket, then I have a Colt .380 Government Model (like a Mustang only a bit longer and a mite heavier.)

For years I carried a 5.5" SAA inside my waistband at work and no one ever noticesd or if they did they never said anything.

As much as I love revolvers, I almost never carry one. When I got my LTC I was gonna carry my S&W M19 snub. I figured out pretty quick it was too heavy and too thick for a fat boy to carry all the time. I currently carry a Glock 43, I love it because it's so flat and light. I have to be careful not to forget I have it on sometimes. My 19 now lives in my bug out bag. Probably what I would want if TSHTF, I keep a few rounds of different types of ammo.

My 2 cents,

JHC

12 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

A Charter Arms .38 snubby in the car (as well as a 1911 in .45), and a 5.5" SAA .45 on my belt except when I'm wearing a suit coat or sport jacket, then I have a Colt .380 Government Model (like a Mustang only a bit longer and a mite heavier.)

For years I carried a 5.5" SAA inside my waistband at work and no one ever noticesd or if they did they never said anything.

OMG!  I forgot my sixties vintage Dick Special.  Six rounds of .38 Special and a two inch pipe.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:15 AM, G W Wade said:

A little heavy, but 2 3/4 in Ruger Security Six in 357 Mag pretty much lives with me when I am out of the house.    GW

Really wish Ruger hadn"t discontinued the Security Six.   Don"t like the GP100 they replaced it with...…      GW

I have three carry guns depending on what I'm wearing, and two of them are revolvers:

1) My primary is a custom-made 1911 on a Caspian frame and slide.  Yeah...maybe a little expensive for daily use but if my life depends on it, I want it to work.

2) S&W "air weight" .38 special; it fits in an ankle holster quite well.

3) S&W 686 5" barrel in .357 magnum

This thread makes me want to go revolver  shopping tomorrow... ;)

9 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Do it!! Ya won't be sorry!!

10 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I dare not! :lol:

below 90 degrees:

Colt Commander 004.jpg

Over 90 degrees:

Pocket Carry Comp 005.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I carry a revolver - S&W Model 60 2 1/4" 357/38+P.. the new Colt King Cobra looks interesting but not on the cards for me at this time..

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

So, would this be overkill?

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan with 2.5" barrel - .454 Casull

Image result for ruger alaskan 454

Not real concealable for a petite feller like me.

28 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not real concealable for a petite feller like me.

You need to work on that, Bob.

Why I remember when Bones was dressed as Wonder Woman

1b61abfc14e611df0f92f112ff29b157.jpg

and was concealing a 4" S&W 500.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4Khfd-ykwfo8MPxafblR

Picked up another Smith & Wesson Model 10-6 yesterday.  4" heavy barrel.  Made in 1976.  After a little internal polishing, and some replacement springs, it'll go into the concealed carry rotation.  

12 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Not if you’re shooting elephants.

No elephants down here but you never know when Tyrannosaurus Nutria are going to charge.

I must be the only one who carries a top break. Here's my usual carry pieces for ccw.

3rd model Iver Johnson 38s&w 2" snub nose

2nd model 1897 Iver Johnson 38s&w 4"

I load with 2gn trail boss and 145 gn rnfp and federal primers for the 3rd model and for the 2nd model I load the same bullet and fill the case to about 1/8 inch below the mouth with triple 7. The black powder load has way more kick and muzzle velocity!

The j frame speed loader works perfect for the 38 Smith.

IMG_20190326_221719.jpg

Just retired my late father in law's S&W Air crewman made in 1953. I also have a S&W mod 37 that my Dad did the paperwork on in 1974.

For Sunday duty my Mod 19

12.jpg

37.jpg

SW 19.jpg

Archived