SASS Wire Forum

Smokestack SASS#87384

"No animals were harmed while shooting the machine gun".

Smokestack,  I shoot with a very good 87 shooter name Slater.   

I tried the 87 a little but really couldn't get use to it.

It is impressive to watch someone like yourself, Lassiter or Slater run it.

I think they are gaining more popularity in our matches.

..........Widder

4 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

"No animals were harmed while shooting the machine gun".

Smokestack,  I shoot with a very good 87 shooter name Slater.   

I tried the 87 a little but really couldn't get use to it.

It is impressive to watch someone like yourself, Lassiter or Slater run it.

I think they are gaining more popularity in our matches.

..........Widder

I’m nowhere near the same level of those guys, but I really do have a lot of fun with it. 

I'm certainly enjoying mine. I've shot mine enough now that I'm faster with an 87 than anything else; not that I'm fast with any of them.

Slater has one of mine now giving it a bit of TLC.

I love mine. Bought it as a play toy.  Watched Deuce Steven's videos on loading techniques and practiced them a little with dummy rounds. Decided I liked it better than my SxS so now it is my go to main match gun. I am by no means fast but I do love shooting my 87.

You know, Ima Schofield:wub: and I both have run '87 levers(Coyote Cap 'race' guns)for the last 10+ yrs.

It 'nails' the cool factor, to the wall. ^_^

Do you have a link to the lever mods you did on yours?

OLG

I have a real 87 that I take out from time to time.   When I got it, it had some issues, such as not feeding properly from the magazine, and others I can't recall.   I sent it to Coyote Cap to "get it working correctly," that is to say, they way it came from the factory.   He worked his magic and now it functions flawlessly.   It's a very fun gun to shoot, even though I still prefer the 97.   One of these days I gotta try a round of trap with it.   I am sure the other folks on the line won't like the smoke though.

I love the 87 .

Its just makes me slower then I already am :unsure:

Screenshot_20180330-211637.thumb.png.3b89b2fe6fb5dfd985ef56e4391a287b.png

24 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Ok,  show of hands.  How many thought there should be a way to short stroke an 87? :lol:

I always short stroke an 87. My arms aint long enough. just doesnt work for me

Imis

Awesome 87 handling!  Your videos and Duece Stevens' videos inspired me to pick up an 87 and give it a try.  I'm still not a fast shooter and not as fast as my SxS but I can see the potential.  One club I go to likes 5+ shotgun knockdowns per stage and often write into the stage instructions that 87s and 97s may be loaded on the clock with more than two shells.  While not a time advantage it sure is fun to stoke the 87 and blaze away!  

While on the topic of 87s, is it acceptable to lock tight (with the removable stuff) the cartridge guide/lifter screws?  My 87 is really bad about working those screws loose after 10-12 shots.

I've owned two and sold them both! Cool guns but I'll stick with my Stoegers thank you very much!;)

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

Awesome 87 handling!  Your videos and Duece Stevens' videos inspired me to pick up an 87 and give it a try.  I'm still not a fast shooter and not as fast as my SxS but I can see the potential.  One club I go to likes 5+ shotgun knockdowns per stage and often write into the stage instructions that 87s and 97s may be loaded on the clock with more than two shells.  While not a time advantage it sure is fun to stoke the 87 and blaze away!  

While on the topic of 87s, is it acceptable to lock tight (with the removable stuff) the cartridge guide/lifter screws?  My 87 is really bad about working those screws loose after 10-12 shots.

You can use lock-tie but it can get the threads a little gunky if one uses too much and can make reassembly a pain. Try taking a 2" square or so of a single layer from a  zip-lock bag and putting it over the hole then put the screw in tight. Then tear off the plastic around the edge of the screw.  A tip from Lassiter and it works great. Just remember to pick out the plastic when you take the gun apart to clean.

3 hours ago, July Smith said:

I use #242 blue loctite on our 3, '87s.

Never an issue to remove.

OLG

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Ok,  show of hands.  How many thought there should be a way to short stroke an 87? :lol:

Nah...

I just wish they'd let us on the clock load up the magazines for 'em.  (And the 97 too)   And don't say, "You can if they write the stage directions that way."  In over 10 years in the game, I've seen that done all of twice.

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Nah...

I just wish they'd let us on the clock load up the magazines for 'em.  (And the 97 too)   And don't say, "You can if they write the stage directions that way."  In over 10 years in the game, I've seen that done all of twice.

It's SOP in W3G. ;)

OLG

8 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Nah...

Club I used to belong to would allow stoking shotguns. Whenever there were more than four S/G targets, I would stoke my '87. I would notify the TO and spotters to take a break until I had it loaded!:P

It was a blast (pun intended) to fire fully loaded.

13 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Club I used to belong to would allow stoking shotguns. Whenever there were more than four S/G targets, I would stoke my '87. I would notify the TO and spotters to take a break until I had it loaded!:P

It was a blast (pun intended) to fire fully loaded.

The longer I play this game, the less I understand the reasoning for not allowing it.

On 2/26/2019 at 10:10 AM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Nah...

I bought my 87 specifically for a non sass match I used to shoot where all shotguns were stoked. Man was that fun running a stoked lever gun full speed. Then that range closeddown and my 87 didn’t get as much use. Another club I shoot at said I could use it in the wild bunch matches they put on, so it again got put back to good use. That non sass shoot has since been resurrected at a different range so I’m back to using it again. Sure a pump is faster, but the 87 is more fun. I do use it at sass matches occasionally and it’s always on my cart as a backup to my ttn.  

Back in 2014 was going to Oklahoma State Shoot, shooting Classic Cowboy and broke my hammered double the week before and had to use my 87.   Got lucky that weekend and did good.  Also came in second place Classic Cowboy.

055.JPG

Smokestack... you make it look pretty darn easy :D 

I used an ‘87 for quite a while... then my sidekick took it over!  I still take it out every once in a while though.  

Archived