SASS Wire Forum

How could you fix this?

Alpo

Subplot in a book.

They name the baby Mary, after the Virgin, and Lynn, after Daddy's sister.

The nurse was hard of hearing, and wrote down Marilyn.

She was Mary until she started school, where the nuns told her that her name was Marilyn, because that's what it said on her birth certificate, and they didn't care what her parents thought.

What would it take to fix the birth certificate? Would they have to go through the hassle of going to court to have her name changed? Or is there some simpler way to "fix an error" on the certificate?

In the book, they just ignored it. Officially, to the rest of the world, she is Marilyn. Mama and Daddy and her brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles continue to call her Mary.

I would recommend contacting those :ph34r: who handled the previous Presidents' Birth Certificate. :o

I believe the law says we can use any name we choose, as long as it is not with the intent to defraud. I wonder why the parents didnt catch it and if it would be expensive to legally change to the correct version.  I am not a Barrister but I have stayed at Days Inn.

Imis

My wife was to be named Marilee with no middle name. On her birth certificate the hospital staff wrote Mary Lee. She has been Mary ever since but her mom and dad called her Marilee until they passed. Her parents used to laugh when they told the story of her name so they had no animosity about it.

My grandmother was different. When her youngest son, Louis William turned 65 and requested a "good" birth certificate, he discovered she had changed his name when he was 1 year old to William Frances. The change was done in pencil but is the official name.

Archived