SASS Wire Forum

Are The "Evil Roy" Pistols All...

David Balthazar

The standard ER's now have the 3 click hammer with retractable firing pin.  But Cimarron is now carrying a BP-frame ER with either a standard or low/wide 4-click hammer, but only in 4 3/4".

ER's have had action work done by a 'smith and should be ready to go.

BP Frame?  Is that black powder?  I would buy the ER's if they are old 4 click and solid FPs, but not sure which one you speak of?  .45 LC and 4 3/4s are what I am looking for...

11 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

BP Frame?  Is that black powder?  I would buy the ER's if they are old 4 click and solid FPs, but not sure which one you speak of?  .45 LC and 4 3/4s are what I am looking for...

You can safely shoot anything smokeless in a modern "Black Powder Frame" revolver, that you would be able to shoot in any other Evil Roy.  The BP frame refers to the older Colt style when they first came out, that had a screw in the front of the frame that held in the cylinder pin.  Like this:  (Although this is not an Evil Roy it does show a the Black Powder Frame and Cylinder Pin Retaining Screw:

752859158_blackpwderframe.thumb.jpg.b4445783c33555398ae89ec2d3d25886.jpg

Tanners Sport Center has the SASS Pro Short Stroke revolvers for $439.  .45 Colt but the tube length is 5.5”.  You would need to confirm whether these have the older hammers.  They have these on Gunbroker.

24 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

Is it worth it to buy any available Evil Roy at this point w/o the hammer safety?  I want the low flat spur one but can't seem to find any...

I don't understand the question.  The ER4150LWH mentioned above has the 4 click hammer with low wide spur.

56 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I don't understand the question.  The ER4150LWH mentioned above has the 4 click hammer with low wide spur.

I don't like the blackpowder frame with the screw, and I can't find any that fit that description on gunbroker--

If anyone can find me two 4-3/4 Evil Roys with the lowered hammer and no firing pin safety for under $700 each I will send you a silver dollar :D

30 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

I don't like the blackpowder frame with the screw, and I can't find any that fit that description on gunbroker--

If anyone can find me two 4-3/4 Evil Roys with the lowered hammer and no firing pin safety for under $700 each I will send you a silver dollar :D

Well, no need to order from gunbroker.  Any FFL can order directly from Cimarron, and they are in stock.  The screw for the basepin is somewhat less convenient that the cross pin latch, but is no big deal to use.  However, everyone has their own tastes and wants.  

The only ER's Cimarron has carried with the low wide hammer is the Old Model (BP frame).  I would do as Lumpy suggested and contact ER directly.  And as Warden mentioned, the Smokewagon is very similar, but they won't be available with the 4-click hammer any more either.

A couple of years ago Uberti started the change to the new safety system.  I was considering a pair of Uberti Cattleman in 44WCF.  There are very few choices in 44WCF.   It came down to Eval Roy or Taylor's Smoke wagons.  No Evel Roy in 44WCF were available from Cimarron or Eval Roy.   I got a Smoke Wagon through Buds Guns. And then had a local gunshop backorder another from Taylor's.  It took about a month to get. But I was adamant that they be the old 4-click action and they were.

Then another pair came up on the Wire, also with 4 click action, and I traded for them.

1720549165_HisandherssmokewagonsSept2018.jpg.0d442425c7f55162fbfc1157d32566d1.jpg

Archived