SASS Wire Forum

Big Bend Nat’l Park?

Charlie Harley, #14153

My wife and I are wanting to do something different for Christmas this year, and Big Bend sounds like a wonderful isolated beautiful escape.

In that vein, I was wondering if any Saloonatics might have been there and had any advice for visiting. We’d also like to spend a day or two in Marfa.

As always, the Wire’s help is appreciated.

Spent a week down there a number of years ago.  Great place for riding a motorcycle.  Beautiful countryside, in not just a bit desolate.  We stayed outside the national park in Terlingua.  Motored thru Marfa but stayed in Fort Stockton.  It and Alpine were more interesting.  Riding the boundary road along the Rio Grande was worth the price of admission.

Vacationed there a few years ago. It is a great place to go for avoiding the big crowds of some of the other parks. We enjoy birding and it was good for that. We stayed in the old barracks and met plenty of like minded individuals there. It's a big place and involves driving to get to all the good spots. Don't plan on the regular touristy stuff.

A friend of mine was warned to be careful of coyotes traversing the area .

The illegal two legged kind.

17 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A friend of mine was warned to be careful of coyotes traversing the area .

The illegal two legged kind.

I don't know as that's much of a problem in that particular area.

20160703_102500.jpg

3 hours ago, Badlands Beady said:

I don't know as that's much of a problem in that particular area.

20160703_102500.jpg

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/On-watch-for-smugglers-drug-runners-in-the-vast-12416884.php

Archived