SASS Wire Forum

Cap and ball

The Bearded Wonder

So I went to a match today with my brand new cap and ball pistols, I was so excited about getting to shoot my new cap and ball pistols.

They are 58 Remington replicas with checkered grips by Pietta, imported by Taylors and co.

Well at the loading table the first pistol broke while loading, well I put that cylinder on the other pistol and used it to finish loading. That worked fine, shoot stage 1 then used the one pistol to load the cylinders for stage 2, all good, loading for stage 3 and the other pistol broke while loading. 

As y'all can imagine I'm not real happy about 2 broke pistols. The cross pin for the loading lever plunger broke on both pistols. I am very confident that the balls were not to tite because I was able to remove the cylinder and push the ball in with a good ol ball starter. I am using .454 round balls.

I will be on the phone first thing in the morning with taylors and co, and will also be ordering a cylinder loader.

20190224_151956.jpg

38 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Nothing more frustrating than brand new guns that fail. :(

My experience with Taylor's had been good. Please let us know how your warranty claim is handled.

I have had dealings with taylors and co in the past(broken spring) and they were awesome! Kinda curious about what they will say about this.

Round balls should be pure lead, especially if you use the rammer on the gun.

Alloys are very hard and put too much strain on it.

Also the rule of thumb has always been .451 for Piettas and .454 for Ubertis.

With a cylinder loader, the 454s will be fine, but watch what your RBs are cast with.

--Dawg

3 hours ago, The Bearded Wonder said:

It was the cross pin in the plunger. It appears to be made of some really soft material.

They're Italian made. Soft material was probably pasta. :P

Heard back from taylors and co, they are sending me new parts. Those folks are great. Always a pleasure to deal with and always prompt service.

I would recommend them to anyone. 

This is what they said,

Thank you for your photos! If this size ball is shaving a lot of lead for you, you could certainly try the next size down in diameter to lessen the pressure on the link parts if you are going to continue loading frequently right in your revolver, but regardless the parts are supposed to hold up. We will mail you replacement links and a set of two pins to replace the ones that broke off. Thank you for the photos and if you need anything else let us know!

Unless they changed the quality of the steel this could be the issue of hard lead, too big diameter ball for Pietta, trying to compress the powder too much!

I have 2 Uberti's and 2 Pietta's in 44 and have shot them for 12 years. Getting sort of tired. But only failure has been the hand that rotates the cylinder and the spring that moves the bolt. Never have used a loading stand.

I shoot .451 in both and in my 1849 Navies.

Ike

I run .454 diameter pure lead balls in my two Pietta 1858's and have not had a problem loading directly with the pistol.

Like Irish Ike, the only failures I have had is with the trigger / bolt springs breaking, which I now always carry spares!

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Do Capt Baylor's hand spring replacement mod and it will likely last forever.

Do you have a link to those instructions?

I was in error The mods were published by Larsen Pettifogger. You can find them in back issues of the Cowboy Chronicle but I can never remember which issues. 

Pettifogger's mod replaces the flat spring with a Ruger plunger and spring.  You can also replace the flat spring with a wire one. J-bar explains how as part of this thread on the Open Range BBS. There are also a couple of other ways described as well.

Below are links to modifying C&B guns for use in CAS. All are relatively easy to do and are a must if you want your C&B revolver to work reliably.

Pietta mods.

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_One.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_Two.pdf

Uberti mods

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Uberti_Open_Top_Revolvers_Part_1.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Uberti_Open_Top_Revolvers_Part_2.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Uberti_Open_Top_Revolvers_Part_3.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Uberti_Open_Top_Revolvers_Part_4.pdf

Just an update, all parts have been received and both revolers are fixed. Also I purchased a cylinder loader from Powder Inc, looks like it should work very well. Cant wait till I get out to the range.....

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO  Taylors and Co. 

Them guys really stand behind their products.

Keep your powder dry,

The Bearded Wonder 

Powder Inc Hand loader is a heck of a lot easier to use lol

Just sayin 

Rooster 

On 2/26/2019 at 3:09 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Significantly improved the performamnce of my ‘51 Navys.

One last update, got a chance to use the cylinder loader and what a difference in ease of loading! I love that thing!

Also finally got Mrs Wonder to come out and play with black powder! She has never done that before, but now she has shot the 58 Remingtons. She said black powder is fun! 

Keep your powder dry,

The Bearded Wonder 

Archived