SASS Wire Forum

Moar Gun pics

Ramblin Gambler

On 2/12/2019 at 11:05 PM, Dustin Checotah said:

I first got introduced to the M1 in High School Jr. ROTC. The first year there we had them and I have wanted one since. I did buy one that was from the bunch that came through ODCMP. It was a Greek return. It was a Harrington & Richardson. Metal was in real good shape and the bore was very good. The stock has some dings and the top fore end wood was pale compared to the rest of the wood. That pale piece of wood was replaced with one a bit darker. Other than that it shoots fine although I don't shoot it as much as I would like. It is in this pic of my U.S. made .30 cal. firearms.  

IMG_0773.JPG

Inspired by Dustin's photo, here's a pic of all my old warhorses. 

I tried to put them in roughly the order they were born, but the 1903 appears to have technically been made a few months after the M1 Garand, and it didn't seem right to have them in that order.  I'm going to have to read up on that, i wasn't expecting it.

From the top:

1.  Springfield Trapdoor Mod 1884, made in 1887. 

2.  Springfield Krag Mod 1898, made in 1901. 

3.  Remington Rand 1911A1 that I just got from the CMP

4.  US&S 1911A1.  Not sure on the exact year for either 1911. 

5.  Savage MLE No4 MK1.  I think it was made in 1943 but I can't find a good source to give an exact date. 

6.  Remington 1903, made in 1943. 

7.  Springfield M1 Garand made in 1943.

8.  Winchester M1 carbine made in 1944.  

9.  Springfield M1A made in 1994, just before that assault weapon ban.  Not really a veteran like the rest, but it qualifies as a service rifle and it's the first one like that I bought and ignited my desire for the old guns.  It came with a black rynite stock that i hated.  So I bought a surplus stock for it instead.  I never looked very hard for a replacement handguard 

And of course I have pokey things for the guns what can wear em.  I don't know much about the pokey things so I didn't try to describe them. 

If the trapdoor wasn't so dadblamed long, i woulda posed them all with the pokey things installed. 

Vets2.thumb.jpg.9cbe3db0b180aa74eb38bcddab9e2733.jpg

7 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Niceee!   

Is your Krag carbine original or is it a converted rifle?  I've been trying to get one for the longest time.

A small porting goods/Gun hop in town closed down years ago. The owner had about 8 or 9 Krags up on the walls. Rifles and carbines. I begged him to sell me one when he was liquidating his inventory. NO deal. :(

21 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Inspired by Dustin's photo, here's a pic of all my old warhorses. 

I tried to put them in roughly the order they were born, but the 1903 appears to have technically been made a few months after the M1 Garand, and it didn't seem right to have them in that order.  I'm going to have to read up on that, i wasn't expecting it.

From the top:

1.  Springfield Trapdoor Mod 1884, made in 1887. 

2.  Springfield Krag Mod 1898, made in 1901. 

3.  Remington Rand 1911A1 that I just got from the CMP

4.  US&S 1911A1.  Not sure on the exact year for either 1911. 

5.  Savage MLE No4 MK1.  I think it was made in 1943 but I can't find a good source to give an exact date. 

6.  Remington 1903, made in 1943. 

7.  Springfield M1 Garand made in 1943.

8.  Winchester M1 carbine made in 1944.  

9.  Springfield M1A made in 1994, just before that assault weapon ban.  Not really a veteran like the rest, but it qualifies as a service rifle and it's the first one like that I bought and ignited my desire for the old guns.  It came with a black rynite stock that i hated.  So I bought a surplus stock for it instead.  I never looked very hard for a replacement handguard 

And of course I have pokey things for the guns what can wear em.  I don't know much about the pokey things so I didn't try to describe them. 

If the trapdoor wasn't so dadblamed long, i woulda posed them all with the pokey things installed. 

Vets2.thumb.jpg.9cbe3db0b180aa74eb38bcddab9e2733.jpg

Those are nice too. I have a few military pistols but they were not in the pic. I was just doing the .30 cal. U.S. made rifles. 

13 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Niceee!   

Is your Krag carbine original or is it a converted rifle?  I've been trying to get one for the longest time.

Don't know whether it's a carbine or a cut-down rifle, but it's obviously Al replacement stock.

On 2/24/2019 at 7:59 AM, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Niceee!   

Alpo is right.  It's definitely a sporter because of the stock.  I've had a couple of knowledgeable people look at it and they say at first glance it looks like it might have always been a carbine, but the stock means it's a sporter.  I believe it's also missing a barrel band or something, which could have happened when they changed the stock.  The sights are right and I don't think there's any way you can tell from the serial number.  I haven't had anyone do a deep dive on it yet.  This was just some old man's deer rifle.  It shoots well but that thin front blade is hard to see. 

Next 2 on my list are a full krag rifle and an M1917.  I'd prefer them both to be unmolested, but those rifles were sporterized in large numbers. 

RG 

parts are sometimes hard to fid to bring a P14 and a 1917 back , I spent some time finding the correct parts to do mine 

it is hard to find actions that have not had the ears cut off in my area 

as to the Krag , I have not seen one that can be restored in a long time , without costing way more than it is worth 

I did find a cut down , looked like a DCM carbine , but without the docs , it is just a shooter , IF , I can get the price down to where it is reasonable

CB 

NO , they AIN'T for sale 

Archived