SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Retractable firing pin

Tyrel Cody

18 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

and begin, should be good for a page or two:rolleyes:

Well I hope it doesn't start an argument. I posted this as informative as I didn't know what this feature actually looked like until this morning. 

As someone who hasn't been paying attention while this was cussed and discussed over the past little while, what's the problem? Does it not work? Is it harder to get a good feeling action? Can you just put some sort of spacer in the hammer and replace the firing pin with one the proper length to work with that spacer? For that matter just drill the hammer and insert a drift pin like there has always been?

I have them and could not make them work.  Could not get them to lock up fast enough to go off with any reliability.   Took out the interlock and put in a spacer to force the firing pin to stay out, but still had issues with the three click.  Finally replaced the hammers with old style 4 click and now I can run them.

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have one as a backup, I've shot about 300 rounds through it no problems!;)

I have to ask, would you trust it at a state or higher match?

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I have 6 others so I probably would never have to use it but I would as a backup only.

41 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Shot mine in the West Virginia state match last fall. No issues. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again 

I had some in 44-40 and they worked fine for me all last season, both in monthlies and practice.

So can you still get the models without the retractable firing pin? And if not, if this is a new law in Italy as someone said somewhere, does Pietta now only make the transfer bar models? Anyone know? 

Just curious

BD

1 hour ago, Buckshot Dobbs said:

So can you still get the models without the retractable firing pin? And if not, if this is a new law in Italy as someone said somewhere, does Pietta now only make the transfer bar models? Anyone know? 

Just curious

BD

Unless a store has some unsold older Uberti Cattleman models squirreled away, or you order black-powder frame models (screw securing the cylinder pin), from Cimarron, the retractable firing pin models are it.  Everybody seems to be sold out of the old-style hammers; Cimmaron, Taylors and VTI Gun parts.  There was a bit of a run on them when retractable-firing-pin models came out.  I don't know if anyone else will pick up the mantle on these. 

Pietta revolvers are available with and without the Transfer Bars.  Some states will only allow sales of guns that can pass a "drop-test" with a round under the hammer.  I don't believe Arkansas is one of them, so you can order some sweet Piettas from EMF and have them sent to your FFL.  Or, have your FFL order them for you.  As long as you can show them which ones you want.  EMF has a lot of barrel, grip-frame, and finish options in the Pietta Great Western II and Alchemista line.

Another option from Uberti would be the "1858" conversions.  No retractable firing pin, no transfer bar.   I don't know about their other conversion revolvers.

I'm glad to have seen these videos.  I have a pair of Running Irons that I got a year ago.  I used them all last year including the Illinois/Indiana state match and the Michigan state match with no problems at all.  I was doing some dry fire practice a few days ago using snap caps and that was the first time I had noticed that there was some play in the firing pins.  I was afraid I had broken something but am relieved to see that it does not appear that anything is amiss.

I don’t know if there’s a problem with function or they are not reliable. I have a friend that bought four and three had consistent light strikes. I bought one new uberti that had them and it felt really strange. I guess when you are used to a certain feel, then anything else is bothersome. I replaced mine with an old style hammer and trigger without any issue. Here are some pics of the hammer and trigger. I’m not the best photographer though

7BA687D7-0854-48A8-91C2-81D7D18C43DB.thumb.jpeg.0d3442d717e9fc45c11444e1d6715063.jpeg6D7A708C-8D83-4B05-A689-9C25249236AE.thumb.jpeg.0b55c1e364131cd7b69834edaf927d6d.jpegCE92B827-ABCB-471D-821C-CCD06B29E3D2.thumb.jpeg.13bb50fcbeaa12d56af462b116360ac6.jpeg9EEDAE3A-8F35-485D-B1BB-8A8FE7C159A1.thumb.jpeg.0ee328d096a7f9d7b0a1deb7ffed304c.jpeg08A71680-0D7B-4BBF-9F3C-24DE5E0D6B42.thumb.jpeg.512988e0465099c7c505b1c6a2ee5fff.jpeg

18 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

As. I understand it, Uberti will not have any of the older triggers and hammers available going forward.  

So "going forward" I am guessing that sooner or later Pietta and Uberti both will make nothing but their extra safety models,  (retractable firing pin or transfer bar models etc.)?

BD

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Dobbs said:

So "going forward" I am guessing that sooner or later Pietta and Uberti both will make nothing but their extra safety models,  (retractable firing pin or transfer bar models etc.)?

BD

It'll spawn a whole new cottage industry making replacement parts and cowboy gunsmith work-arounds.  Look what Ron Power makes for the Ruger to make them work like Colts and defeat the transfer bar.

The big picture.   Probably Uberti won't suffer from the design change.  It's probably something mandated in much of the world.  A lot of people won't know or won't care about the change.  I've seen some reviews that are delighted that they can carry 6. 

The big danger is that the next owner of a Uberti may assume they have a gun that can safely load 6 and it's been modified so it's not safe.  

For those with the key question(s).  Past history of Uberti is uniform.  When Uberti releases a design change to one of their guns, they (Uberti) no longer support the prior part.  Case in point ... the retaining pin for the Firing Pin Extension was completely redesigned and replaced.  If you need to replace a Breach Block (Bolt), you must now buy a "kit" which contains the redesigned bolt, retainer, firing pin, return spring and Extension Stop.  You cannot buy "just" a Breach Block (Bolt).  Uberti will no longer manufacture the old style hammer and trigger.  Users will have to buy a "kit." that will include the new Hammer and all the new parts thereto and Trigger.

Howdy Pards 

with above noted ..and limitations for parts ... . for those  of us with old style cattleman’s .. 

You  have me thinking about  a “critical parts list for my pistols”....

.. what would you consider critical parts list for our shoot’n irons 

thanks 

boubon doc 

20 minutes ago, Bourbon Doc said:

Howdy Pards 

with above noted ..and limitations for parts ... . for those  of us with old style cattleman’s .. 

You  have me thinking about  a “critical parts list for my pistols”....

.. what would you consider critical parts list for our shoot’n irons 

thanks 

boubon doc 

Just get duplicate guns. 

While lots of parts in single actions, including hammers, are subject to wear or damage, I think it would be correct to say that the vast majority of CAS shooters will never need to replace a hammer because of wear or damage.

3 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

While lots of parts in single actions, including hammers, are subject to wear or damage, I think it would be correct to say that the vast majority of CAS shooters will never need to replace a hammer because of wear or damage.

But, but, but, Abilene..............The sky is falling!

On 2/24/2019 at 8:28 AM, Outrider Outlaw said:

I'm glad to have seen these videos.  I have a pair of Running Irons that I got a year ago.  I used them all last year including the Illinois/Indiana state match and the Michigan state match with no problems at all.  I was doing some dry fire practice a few days ago using snap caps and that was the first time I had noticed that there was some play in the firing pins.  I was afraid I had broken something but am relieved to see that it does not appear that anything is amiss.

How can you use a pair of 6 guns a whole season and not notice that they didn't have a safety notch?  :wacko:

According to what I can understand from Cimarron's website, the four click models will still be offered in the "old model", or "black powder frame models".  So it seems if you prefer the old traditional hammer, with the non-retractable firing pin, and four clicks, you can still obtain one, if you buy the old model, or black powder frame models.  If I understood Cimarron's website  correctly, then that is a good thing, for those of us that are NOT interested in this retractable firing pin model revolver.  I am all about choice, so this is a good thing, if true.

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

Just now, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

According to what I can understand from Cimarron's website, the four click models will still be offered in the "old model", or "black powder frame models".  So it seems if you prefer the old traditional hammer, with the non-retractable firing pin, and four clicks, you can still obtain one, if you buy the old model, or black powder frame models.  If I understood Cimarron's website  correctly, then that is a good thing, for those of us that are NOT interested in this retractable firing pin model revolver.  I am all about choice, so this is a good thing, if true.

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

If that is truly the case, then one would would think replacement hammers/triggers for those guns would be available as well and should fit the new guns.

9 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If that is truly the case, then one would would think replacement hammers/triggers for those guns would be available as well and should fit the new guns.

The question is how long they’ll be available. I had some on backorder for about six months before getting them. Apparently uberti is planning to phase the new system into the bp guns as well and that’ll be it. At least until they switch again to another system

Here is the quote from Cimarron's website:

"Cimarron also offers a modern 3 click safety hammer on select models for those who are more concerned with safety than authenticity.  You can find the modern safety on recent pre-war framed model P's.  Cimarron's old model revolvers as well as all Frontier models, still feature the classic 4 click action." 

As I understand it, the "Frontier" models are not made my Uberti, but are made by Pedersoli.  That being the case, Pedersoli has not committed to this retractable firing pin design....yet.

I would also like to add that the "old model", or "black-powder frame" models, do NOT have the butt-ugly medallion inserted in the wooden grips, like the other models do.  The "old model", or "black-powder model" revolvers come with a one-piece wood grip, with NO medallion. 

The Cimarron website has a comparison page that shows the differences between the "black-powder frame" models and the "smokeless frame" models, for those that do not know, or for liberal politicians, as the case may be.   

So...two reasons to purchase the "old model", or "black powder frame model", if you prefer the standard non-retractable firing pin, and you don't like the gold colored Cimarron medallion, inserted in the grips.

I have no idea how long Uberti will offer this option.  The Cimarron website did not say.

There ya go.

My Two Bits

W.K. 

Archived