SASS Wire Forum

Non CAS: WTB ejector for Webley Mark VI

Fort Reno Kid

Howdy Pards

Might seem strange to look for the part on this Forum but I know CAS shooters have varied interests and are definitely not one-trick ponies.

I have an excellent Webley Mark VI converted from 455 to 45ACP.  It’s a great shooter. Sadly, its ejector (also called ejector rod) is badly worn from the enormous number of times the pistol has been opened and closed. 

I’ve advertised on a number of forums over the years without success.  A recent article in a shooting magazine listed 7 or 8 outfits that stocked old gun parts (Numrich, Apex, SARCO, and several others) but none had the part. Another Pard suggested Martin Rettig (a fabulous source of surplus guns in those fabulous days of yesteryear before the 1968 GCA) and they came up dry.

If anyone has this part — preferably new but used is okay if it’s not too worn — I’d be delighted to hear from you.  My email address is fortrenokid@sbcglobal.net.

Many thanks and Adios 

Fort Reno Kid 

Please be aware that .45 ACP rounds are at proof levels for the .455 cartridge. I have a W&S MK V that has also been altered for .45 ACP in moon clips and .45 Auto Rim cartridges. .45 Auto Rim rounds are not as hot as ACP rounds, so should be safe in an altered .455. I no longer fire standard .45 ACP in my Webley.

Do you keep looking on eBay?  I've found some remarkably rare parts by just checking every day.  

Another source to check is Gun Broker.   Lots of parts listed under gun parts.  I just checked Webley and didn't fimd the part you need but they had other Webley revolver parts.  

What's the part look like?  Got a picture?  Any reasonable chance it can be refurbished or duplicated? 

Hey  Muley Gil

Appreciate your informing our Pards of the danger of shooting 45ACP in the converted Webleys.  All too many are unaware. The website, British Militaria Forum, goes into this  topic in considerable detail and I highly recommend it to Webley owners as well as to any who own British military firearms.

I use 45 ACP brass, of course, but strictly use handloads for my Webleys (I own a Mark V as well).  I’m partial to Unique , Bullseye, and Titegroup and use load data appropriate to the 455 Webley cartridge.  A load of 3.8 grains of Unique and the Lee 255 grain wide flat-nose cast bullet shoot to point of aim and are suitably gentle on both shootin’ irons.

Years ago I recall an article in a shooting magazine on this topic.  The author recalled talking with a Webley owner who claimed to have fired thousands of GI 45 rounds thru his Webley.  The author commented to the effect that this was equally a testament to the strength of those pistols and to the diminutive intelligence of the owner. I heartily concur.

Adios

Fort Reno Kid

PS. Wish I could find an ejector ... I really like shooting that old war horse.

Hey Warden Calloway

Appreciate the suggestions.  Think I’ve tried those before without success but maybe I should resume reviewing them. Continued vigilance in searching those sites might just result in a good outcome.

As to what the part looks like,it’s easier to refer you to an exploded drawing of the pistol.  The ejector is the 6-pronged rod that forces the cartridge cases out of the cylinder when the pistol is opened or “broke”.

Believe it would be hard to replicate.  My gunsmith gave it a good going over.  In the vein of the Veterinarian who tells you regarding your geriatric pet, “there’s no cure for old age”, my gunsmith tells me there’s no cure for badly worn metal.

Thanks

Fort Reno Kid

5a80521175f2b_Parkerbarrels2Feb2018.jpg.4404b22fa2d5a8797fe9bf48f7159315.jpg5a83639d33f18_ParkerDHtogetherFeb2018.jpg.0d9edcd6c5acab84fd872b537b80763c.jpg

I watched eBay and other places for two years for a set of barrels to complete this Parker shotgun and finally hit on a set that was the exact same configuration as what came on the gun originality.  Top picture is how close they came to fitting.  Bottom picture is after fitting. 

5a67ad55202e2_ColtDA38Jan2018.jpg.25c2807884badd4bed272631c66c0044.jpg

I came to own a Colt DA 38 with a cracked forcing cone.  The previous owner had ground the hammer firing pin off that was a part of the hammer so it couldn't be fired.  It took about a year to find the correct barrel and hammer on eBay to restore it to working order.

Just trying to give you some hope. 

Have you searched in England? 

Warden Callaway

Hey Pard, you do good work!  Many thanks

I’ve bookmarked their address and got an email off to them inquiring about the part I need.

The conversion kit to “reconvert” from 45ACP back to 455 Webley is intriguing.  Years back I might well have considered doing it but now I believe I’ll stick to the converted Webley.  45ACP brass is abundant — I have enough to pave a sidewalk — and I reload the ammo to safe levels for  the pistol.

Thanks again for your research.  I suspect you may be a kindred soul who takes great pleasure from getting old shootin’ irons back in the game. Did that, among others, with an old 43 Spanish, a Snyder Carbine, and a 577-450 Martini-Henry ... but those are stories for another day.

Thanks again and Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

Some 30-40 years ago my brother-in-law hought a Webley Mark VI kit deal.  Three of them came rattling around in a boot box.  The real guns had been decommissioned by smashing.   The cylinders and barrels were smashed but recievers and other parts were ok.  They included replacement cylinders and barrels in the kit.  I put two together.  In looking back, we made the same mestake as most others.  He shaved the one cylinder down to 45ACP with clips. A second one he sent off and had it rechambered to 45Colt.  (You have to load the bullet deep).  The third cylinder provided had a bad dent and wasn't usable and wasn't rebuilt. (I no longer have that gun or any parts.).

Brother-in-law already had a complete original Mark VI converted to 45ACP.   While I own that gun,  it and the two others are in my youngest son's possession.

I had another idea on fixing your Webley ejector. 

Maybe try niclel plating the parts?   That would build up a few thousand - maybe more.  The process can be as simple as a grade school science experiment.  Basically,  6v dc electric,  nickel welding rod and vinegar.     Lots of videos on YouTube, 

Warden Calloway

Hadn’t checked the SASS Wire in a few days and saw your latest post.  Thanks.  I did inquire at the link for old gun parts and received a quick response ... but sadly in the negative.  Thinking of your earlier post about buying a box of parts that could be assembled into a complete gun.  Thru the dim mists of long-ago memories I do recall adverts for disassembled guns.  Some were undoubtedly from parted-out guns and others possibly a means of skirting gun-import regs/laws.  One reason for posting my WTB advert at various forums is the hope that someone may just have one of those old gun kits stashed away in the attic.

Nickle plating?  It’s a thot. Will mention that to my gunsmith who is far more mechanically/technically capable than I.

I just know there’s a Webley ejector out there somewhere ... just have to keep diligently searching.

Adios

Fort Reno Kid  

Archived