SASS Wire Forum

Legio IX Hispania

Subdeacon Joe

Where Did It Go?

In the period between 108 AD and around 160 AD, one of the most experienced legions vanished from the strength of the Imperial Roman Army. It was last recorded as serving in Britain but there is no record of what subsequently happened to the Legio IX Hispana and its fate has given rise to intense debate and speculation.

When the new Emperor Claudius took control of Rome in 41 AD, the IX (9th) Legion (also identified as Legio VIIII) was one of the oldest in the imperial army. The 9th had first been raised in Spain (Hispana) in around 50 BCE by Pompey before being inherited by his arch enemy Julius Caesar who used it in his campaigns in Gaul.

After the successful suppression of the Iceni revolt, the 9th was reinforced and transferred to York, to guard what had become the northernmost border of the Roman Empire. Records show that by 77 AD it was well established in its new base. The last known, recorded activity of the 9th Legion in Britain was the construction of a new and improved stone fortress in York in 108/109 AD.

roman_tegula_with_legio_ix_hispana_stamp A stamp of the Ninth legion from the fortress at Caerleon in Wales. Photo: York Museums Trust / CC BY-SA 4.0

After that, the 9th Legion simply vanishes from the historical record. An inscription from the reign of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius (161 AD-180 AD) has been discovered which provides a list of all Roman Military units at that time and Legion IX Hispana is conspicuously missing.

Since they disappeared while based in the area of N. Scotland, I just assumed they "Pict" a fight with the wrong guys. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh, I just amuse the life out of myself sometimes 

Archived