SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Super X 44-40 ammo avilability?

Jaan

I was about to order 10 boxes of the Winchester Super X 44-40 Cowboy Action ammo and my favorite retailer didn't have it in stock, so I looked around and called my local store and nobody seems to have it (not everyone will ship to Mass meh).  That stuff shoots great in my Japanese made 1873 rifle.

Do you happen to know if Winchester makes this stuff on a regular basis, like in the spring, or is it not regular?

Thank you in advance!

Using www.ammoseek.com there are many suppliers that have Winchester 44-40 ammo for sale.  I checked Bud's Gun Shop for their policies for shipping to Massachusetts.  Just like buying a handgun from an out of state seller the ammo has to be shipped to a Massachusetts FFL.  With shipping, sales taxes & what the FFL will charge for their services it will be an expensive purchase.

Ammo - massachusetts_restrictions.pdf

Howdy

Most of the big suppliers will not ship ammo or components to MASS.

Cabellas won't, Midway won't. No they will not ship to a FFL, they just won't ship to MASS.

Let's not go into why.

I haven't bought any 44-40 ammo in a long, long time, once I started reloading it.

You really need to start reloading if you want to shoot much 44-40.

Starline will ship brass here if you send them a photo of your LTC.

You can pick up powder and primers at gun shows. Depending on where you live you might need to cross a state line to pick up powder, primers, and bullets.

Where in the Land of the Pilgrims do you live?

I had popped off an e-mail to Winchester USA but I wasn't expecting an answer...I was pleasantly surprised they not only answered my question but they did it in only a couple of hours.  Here's what they had to say;
This product is currently out of stock due to the demand of other products. It is scheduled for production later in 2019, although no loading date has been assigned. The best way to obtain this product would be to place an order with a local dealer in your area. As soon as this product is made available, that dealer would receive a shipment.

So it looks like I just have to be patient.  Yes, I know it's probably a good idea to load my own but for several reasons that's not a good option right now.

Archived