SASS Wire Forum

Prepping

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

I am rearranging my prepper stores and came across a can of Campbell's chicken and rice soup packed in 1992 so I heated it up and tried it ,not to bad ,a bit of a tin taste but I could eat this if I had to. 

What is the oldest canned product you have had. In 1968 I did eat sea rations packed in 1943 and they were fine, beans and little hot dogs a can of crackers and a can with chocolate. :FlagAm:

The other day, I was under my desk plugging in my new computer, 

420613784_Lookingunderadesk.JPG.59b6c3347efa164519bc996cb48176fe.JPG

when I happened to spot a few peanuts that I must have dropped who knows when.

Can't say how old they were, but they tasted just like they came right out of the can.

Does that count? :P

Seriously, the only prepped items I've tried, I made sure the lid was not popped!

This was not canned, it was frozen. Does that count?

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/i-have-decided-that-zip-lock-bags-are-the-bomb.68241/#post-519807

The oldest canned I can recall (except surplus store C rats) was a can of mushrooms. I put them in spaghetti sauce last year, and on top of the can, in sharpie, it said X 4/04. That meant the expiration date was April 2004.

I do not eat anything that is past it’s “use by” date. I did in the past which is why I don’t or won’t now. I will skip the gory details. I will say it was a can of Stagg chili and it was 2 years past the date. I didn’t know that when I ate it. I looked at the can after my third trip to the campground outhouse. Oh what fun...:blink:

I used an old can of Hunts Spaghetti sauce the other day that was dated 11/08 on the use by that I had found rolled behind the dryer last weekend when I made sloppy joes out of some frozen hamburger that I had vacuumed-sealed on 10-10-12 that I found while re-aranging the freezer that same day...

I don't normally do that.   :rolleyes:   It was a bit of an experiment.  I can truthfully say that my current "Oldest" freezer preps are dated 2016, and the last of those will be used up by the end of this month.  Then there's a roast from 2017 and couple of steak packages, and we're back to our 2018 preps.  It helps to keep the damn freezer organized.  The cans are all good because I built some cool racks so that you can load new on the top and pull the old from the bottom.

I just went and looked.  The oldest thing was a package of Trader Joe's turkey gravy form last Thanksgiving.  I'm not big on leftovers anyway.  Since I've been alone me and the dog eat leftovers almost every day.  Saves time cleaning out the fridge.  Usually anything in there over a couple of months old get trashed.

I thought this was gonna be about a colonoscopy.  :rolleyes::P

I read somewhere that archaeologists exploring the pyramids heated and melted sugared honey and it was perfectly fine to eat. So were some of the grains recovered.

I’ve eaten 1940s era military rations. Texture and flavor were poor, but it WILL sustain you!

I’m told that SPAM lasts forever, but it never lasted around here long enough to be sure!!

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I just went and looked.  The oldest thing was a package of Trader Joe's turkey gravy form last Thanksgiving.  I'm not big on leftovers anyway.  Since I've been alone me and the dog eat leftovers almost every day.  Saves time cleaning out the fridge.  Usually anything in there over a couple of months old get trashed.

I :wub: TJs; However, I bought some gluten free stuffing mix. The "use by date" was somewhere mid 2019. Yuck, eck, no way I'd eat that. I tossed three boxes of it; including one I'd made as we like it..

I make sure all my food is date stamped with the expiration date. :blush:

1907813597_ExpirationDateonBun.JPG.937293ce8b2518d63f03f879c7476245.JPG

So many dates are arbitrary, one must use common sense.  However that is in short supply.

had a small jar of mustard once that when I took it out of the pantry the contents had dried out and look like a lava rock.  I don’t know what the expiration date was.  I did not throw it out, kept it as a museum piece.

i found a mayo jar that had expired 15 years previously. I think it was still good but I threw it out because when I want mayo, I make mayo.

in my experience, tomato products are the ones most likely to go bad quickly. The acid eats through the cans sometimes.

After my father died. We found a 12 pack of beer estimated to be 13 years old. (before he went for the cure)    Found out that was really bad.       GW

Archived