SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun recommendations

Big John Dillon

Hi all.  I recently posted looking for barrel lengths.  I have that all figured out and I thought I knew what I wanted as a side by side.  Though now I'm not sure.  I'm looking at a Cimarron 1889 22" with a wide forend.  

I'm curious what others are using and what people think about this firearm. 

Thanks in advance for your input.

If you google Cimarron 1889 you will find a previous archived SASS Wire thread on this subject from 2015 with favorable response. You may get some push back here on your use of the term “weapon,” the campfire prefers the term firearm.

Welcome to the game and the Wire.

Two standard high end doubles - (Ithaca) SKB 100 or 200 series, or Browning BSS.   SKBs are light and fast.  BSSs are ultra high quality and durable.  Both have not been produced in last 20-30 years, so used guns are the only source.  Both made by Miroku in Japan/Korea.  As were some Daly 500s.

Two fairly standard low end doubles.   Stoeger and Baikal.   Very hard to find Baikals (and parts) now because of the US embargo on Russian firearms imports.  Baikals rarely break.  Stoegers break faster than any other commonly used shotguns, and few folks can fix them when they do.   Hard users may only get 3-4 years out of Stoegers.   Casual shooters who don't run them hard - might get up to 20 years.  Double triggers are much more reliable in the cheaper doubles than single triggers.

All the Italian, Turkish and other miscellaneous suppliers - probably have 5% of the shotgun use in SASS matches.   Important question to ask - are parts and gunsmith services going to be available - tomorrow and 5 years from now?  Many of the Turkish guns made 5 years ago are no longer imported, supported with parts or favorites of gunsmiths.

And most "antique" American side-by-sides as made in the first half of the 20th century are more trouble than they are worth.

Good luck, GJ

Mr. Garrison summed it up quite nicely. I started with a Stoeger, then a second Stoeger, then a Baikal. Now I have three SKB's. With the money I spent on my first three doubles, I could of bought a SKB. I actually started CAS with a Winchester 97 built in 1903 that is nickel plated and slicked up. I'm faster with the doubles so I switched. I still won't part with my 97 but the Stoeger's and Baikal are long gone. All were single trigger and I had no problems with any of them. 

Big John,

I started out with a Baikal  SxS in 12 ga.

Two years later, I switched to an IAC 1897.  That was about 12-13 years ago.

And I've never looked back.

Many have gone from a SxS to a 97, and some even gone to an 87.

AND... many have gone from a 97 to the SxS.

Keep an open mind.   Get what you want now and maybe it will be your lasting joy.

But MANY of us have, at one time or another, switched.   Mostly, it was for the fun of

a new toy to play with.   Sometimes, it was because of a particular difficulty we encounter

trying to learn, which dampened the Saturday fun factor.

Good luck.   But don't be surprised that somewhere down the trail, your interest in another

type SG will perk up and you'll be looking for more toys.

..........Widder

Archived