SASS Wire Forum

Wonder if this could still be done

Alpo

Old bit of comedic business.

White guy - American or European doesn't matter - meets a Japanese guy. The white guy, knowing the Japanese bow when they meet each other, bows. The Japanese guy, knowing that white folks shake hands, sticks his hand out. Each notices what the other has done, and changes to the other style of greeting. So the white guy now has his hand out while the Japanese guy is bowing.

Then, seeing that the other guy has changed again, goes back to what he did the first time. And they do that three or four times.

You would see that on Carol Burnett, or Laugh In, or Get Smart - shows using physical comedy.

I wonder if it would now be considered racist, and therefore could not be shown?

Lefties are not celebrated for their sense of humour!  :angry::angry:

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

White guy - American or European doesn't matter - meets a Japanese guy. The white guy, knowing the Japanese bow when they meet each other, bows. The Japanese guy, knowing that white folks shake hands, sticks his hand out. Each notices what the other has done, and changes to the other style of greeting. So the white guy now has his hand out while the Japanese guy is bowing.

Then, seeing that the other guy has changed again, goes back to what he did the first time. And they do that three or four times.

You would see that on Carol Burnett, or Laugh In, or Get Smart - shows using physical comedy.

I wonder if it would now be considered racist, and therefore could not be shown?

Of course it would.  Isn't everything racist these days?

Think of the shows which wouldn't be allowed these days: Carrol Burnett, Laugh In, Get Smart, sure.  But also The Smothers Brothers, Archie Bunker and his ilk, Dean Martin (sexist b-----d), Hee Haw, and a whole herd of others.  I doubt the original Star Trek would make the cut.  Even a lot of Disney and Warner Brothers stuff is gone because of violence, picking on minorities and disadvantaged people, smokers, drunks and drinkers, etc.  Think of all the movies that would never see the light of day (or the dark of night for that matter). 

WE've allowed an entire culture and comedic genre to be PCed away.

Zippedy-du-dah My oh My what a Wonderful Day!

How about Otis on the Andy Griffin show?  By the time they had the cast reunion, "Otis" had rehabbed and been sober for ten years! (Good for him if he was a real person instead of a TV show character!  But the character would never be allowed today.  Frankly, I'm surprised that "Uncle Ben's rice" is allowed to show a black gentleman as its sponsor.  Or Aunt Jemima either.  Is our even discussing this, "racists"? 

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Months ago I was at work and passed a new employee of a different race in the hallway. I simply looked him and smiled as I passed by. He glared at me like I'd just said something racist at him. These days you don't even have to open you damn mouth to be viewed as a racist! :rolleyes:

You want to know what is racist? Being refused service in a bar on your 21st because you are with a black man. We called the police. The officer that came said they have the right to refuse service to anyone. (AKA the right to be racist.) True story, April 1970, California.

The s--- being considered racist today is unconscionable to me. It is and has been setting back race relations since 2008.

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Think of the shows which wouldn't be allowed these days: Carrol Burnett, Laugh In, Get Smart, sure.  But also The Smothers Brothers, Archie Bunker and his ilk, Dean Martin (sexist b-----d), Hee Haw, and a whole herd of others.  I doubt the original Star Trek would make the cut.  Even a lot of Disney and Warner Brothers stuff is gone because of violence, picking on minorities and disadvantaged people, smokers, drunks and drinkers, etc.  Think of all the movies that would never see the light of day (or the dark of night for that matter). 

WE've allowed an entire culture and comedic genre to be PCed away.

You should have mentioned "Blazing Saddles"        GW

5 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

You want to know what is racist? Being refused service in a bar on your 21st because you are with a black man. We called the police. The officer that came said they have the right to refuse service to anyone. (AKA the right to be racist.) True story, April 1970, California.

The s--- being considered racist today is unconscionable to me. It is and has been setting back race relations since 2008.

I remember the White and Colored water fountains in Florida when l was a boy. Deep south racism was prevalent for years.:angry:

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I remember the White and Colored water fountains in Florida when l was a boy. Deep south racism was prevalent for years.:angry:

Frequently, my parents traveled to So. Illinois to visit relatives. One year, in the 1950s, we went to Louisiana and Florida to visit other relatives on the way. I remember those signs at water fountains and gas station restrooms. I didn't know what "colored" meant (in reference to people) until then. :( 

The only black person in my elementary school was a polite, smart young man. To my knowledge, he was never treated badly. I didn't know that he was different from anyone else.

I never met a black person until I went to high school.  The first one I met was an absolute nicest guy in the world.  He was my best friend and he went on to become a primary school principle in the Chicago Public School system.  I never thought of him being different one way or the other, just he was black.

When I was in college about ready to graduate, I was on a bus with my then wife to be.  She is of Chinese extraction (100%).  A lady on the bus was outraged that I held her hand and railed at us for nearly a mile.  My fiance was about destroyed by this .  I had to explain that there were a lot of people that lost loved ones in the war with Japan and classified all Asian as enemy.  We prayed that she would find peace and forgive and turn her hatred into a normal way of thinking.  Had to go thru this with my children as they grew up in all white environments when they met unreasoned hatred because of race.  The rule we developed was not to let a person's problem become our problem.  Pray for them to shake Lucifer from their heart.

STL Suomi

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
On 2/22/2019 at 8:17 AM, Alpo said:

Can not be racist as there is only ONE race and that is  the human race. ;)     :FlagAm:

• 1 month later...

Speaking of movies, PC, and Asians, has anyone seen Crazy Rich Asians? I saw it yesterday on TV. It was the funniest, non-PC, romantic comedy I can remember seeing.  If most of the cast, the director, book author, and one of the screenplay writers hadn't been Chinese; I'm sure some Liberals' heads would have exploded.

I laughed and cried.  If you get a chance, I highly recommend it.

Archived