SASS Wire Forum
Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Neither snow nor rain...

...nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from completion of their appointed rounds.  The unofficial USPS creed has gone by the boards at last.

I got no mail Thursday, Friday, or Saturday last week.   Friday and Saturday I had out going mail and the flag was up on my mail box.  Sunday is a non-delivery day and Monday was Presidents Day.  Tuesday I got a delivery package at 7:55 pm and a regular delivery five minutes later.  Yesterday I got my mail at about 6:30pm.  It's now 9:00 pm and the flag is still up on my box for more mail to go out.

And they want to raise prices again.

They need to get a new "unofficial motto".

• Like 2

Our mail came early this week.  The mail woman skipped all the people who didn't plow vehicle access to their mailbox so she was early getting to mine that had been plowed clean.

• Haha 1

I quit mailing things from my box with the flag up after I read about scams on the FBI website about 10 years ago.  The scam is that the bad guys look for flagged boxes and steal the mail looking for checks to rewrite to their own benefit. Of course they throw away anything that does not have checks.

consider other ways to send your mail, unless there are no bad guys in your part of Arizona.

We haven't had the same mailman for 4-5 years. I get other peoples mail all the time and oh yea they cancelled mail a few weeks ago when it was a high of 6 degrees!

• Like 1

If you think mail delivery is bad, they treat their employees even worse.  My neighbors across the street in Miami, a couple in their late fifties,  were both letter carriers.  I had to come to the aid of the wife  twice when her truck broke down.  The first time the engine just died and the second time she ran out of gas while the gauge was stuck in full.  Both times it was already dark and she would have have to wait several hours before receiving help from her station.  Luckily for her her route was in the subdivision next to ours.

The one thing keeping the USPS afloat is all the junk mail that we just love to receive.

I heard they're going to raise the price of stamps by a nickel.

Ah, the Good Old Days...

2042121679_Maildeliveryofold2.jpg.8da2a99dfa62cbf4b06830a0f91aef07.jpg 

Sandy, my deliver did not make it one day. She usually drives a Prius but the past week she has had her 4x4 for delivery. Only thing that ticks me off is UPS using her all the time to deliver the big heavy boxes. I always felt they should be the ones to deliver THEIR packages.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I quit mailing things from my box with the flag up after I read about scams on the FBI website about 10 years ago.  The scam is that the bad guys look for flagged boxes and steal the mail looking for checks to rewrite to their own benefit. Of course they throw away anything that does not have checks.

consider other ways to send your mail, unless there are no bad guys in your part of Arizona.

My nearest mail drop is six miles away.  I generally take it there but we only have a few snowplows (and most winters don't have all that much use for those few), but this storm has dropped about 30 inches in two days and the plows are running full time just keeping the major routes open.  The town even rented extra plows (graders, mostly) and some skip loaders and back hoes and dump trucks to move what they did pile up out away from the roads.  One thing we do have plenty of in Arizona is "out away from" most anything.

Mail never did show up yesterday.  I wonder if that will be an acceptable reason for my bills not getting paid on time.

WE have very few "bad guys" here.  Most stay down in the Phoenix area where it is warmer and where there are a few hundred thousand other bad guys and lots of liberal entities to help shield them from the wages of their sins.

3 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

(snip)

Whaddya mean "going to"?  Effective Jan 28, the price of a 1st class stamp went from 50 cents to 55 cents! :angry:  Forget about individual mail boxes with red flags, or even boxes on your house (where you could grab the mail without going out in a storm). Our box is a block down in a cluster, so in bad weather, I have to take the car out of the garage, turn left, pull up to the curb, get out, unlock the box, reach inside and get the junk mail, lock the box, get in the car, make a U-turn to get back to the entrance to the cul-de-sac!  At least, in good weather, I can take the dogs for a walk to the box.

2 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Whaddya mean "going to"?  Effective Jan 28, the price of a 1st class stamp went from 50 cents to 55 cents! :angry:  Forget about individual mail boxes with red flags, or even boxes on your house (where you could grab the mail without going out in a storm). Our box is a block down in a cluster, so in bad weather, I have to take the car out of the garage, turn left, pull up to the curb, get out, unlock the box, reach inside and get the junk mail, lock the box, get in the car, make a U-turn to get back to the entrance to the cul-de-sac!  At least, in good weather, I can take the dogs for a walk to the box.

I guess I'm just getting old......................wait a second, at 77 I'm not in my prime anymore.  I just don't pay attention to the damn price, but I still pay all my bills by mail.

I guess I'm lucky in the fact that I just have to walk to the end of the driveway to my box.

Our box is at the cluster at the clubhouse. There's two other clusters here, one out front for most of the earlier sections of the park, and one down by the office for the newest  section. I get to shovel/ salt all three of them when it gets bad. Can't complain about our mail lady, she's cool. She does have a bunch of seniority, though, so she gets a lot of time/vacation off. The paper person............meh:rolleyes::blush:

11 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

If you think mail delivery is bad, they treat their employees even worse.  My neighbors across the street in Miami, a couple in their late fifties,  were both letter carriers.  I had to come to the aid of the wife  twice when her truck broke down.  The first time the engine just died and the second time she ran out of gas while the gauge was stuck in full.  Both times it was already dark and she would have have to wait several hours before receiving help from her station.  Luckily for her her route was in the subdivision next to ours.

The one thing keeping the USPS afloat is all the junk mail that we just love to receive.

They did, it's 55 cents for a first class stamp now!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

My mail lady is a great gal the only time she bitches is when I get a bullet shipment and that’s about 3 times a year. When she goes on vacation this really hot young gal takes over and I hope she has something to bring up to the house and not drop at the mail box at the end of the driveway, sadly  I don’t buy enough stuff that doesn’t fit in the mail box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

My mail lady is a great gal the only time she bitches is when I get a bullet shipment and that’s about 3 times a year. When she goes on vacation this really hot young gal takes over and I hope she has something to bring up to the house and not drop at the mail box at the end of the driveway, sadly  I don’t buy enough stuff that doesn’t fit in the mail box.

You can order boxes of TP now.  Everybody should use it and it doesn't fit in the mail box.  About anyone can lift it.

Got mail today (finally) but no newspaper and the damn trash hasn't been picked up even though it's been sitting out front for three days now.

We had the bestest ;) mailman when we lived in Sacratomato. His name was Jason. He went out of his way to ensure that we never had mail stolen off our porch. Our mailman now is a maroon. Even the UPS guy (:wub:) agrees.

Here I thought maroon was a color.

• Haha 1

We’re too far for delivery here. Everybody in this area has PO boxes. They’re free.

As I recall, that creed was devised by the architect of the postal building in NYC or DC

Yeah, I found it. I bet the mailmen who saw that on the new building said, “Are you kidding me?” :lol:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.
While the Postal Service has no official motto, the popular belief that it does is a tribute to America's postal workers. The words above, thought to be the motto, are chiseled in gray granite over the entrance to the New York City Post Office on 8th Avenue and come from Book 8, Paragraph 98, of The Persian Wars by Herodotus. During the wars between the Greeks and Persians (500-449 B.C.), the Persians operated a system of mounted postal couriers who served with great fidelity.
The firm of McKim, Mead & White designed the New York General Post Office, which opened to the public on Labor Day in 1914. One of the firm's architects, William Mitchell Kendall, was the son of a classics scholar and read Greek for pleasure. He selected the "Neither snow nor rain . . ." inscription, which he modified from a translation by Professor George Herbert Palmer of Harvard University, and the Post Office Department approved it.

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/mission-motto.pdf