SASS Wire Forum

AWA Longhorn

towboater

I remember these as nice pistols. How does it not fit? Can a gunsmith fit it to your gun,or is it to much work to fit it? AWA, as you probably know, is long gone and parts are scarce. As a pretty close to a Colt SAA would a hammer from Colt work?

The Longhorn was made by ASM and sold through AWA. VTI lists a couple of options for a replacement hammer. One being that Pietta hammers will  work. Might check out that option. By the way, what happened to the original hammer? If one of the notches broke off there are smiths who can weld that up and re-cut the hammer.

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=87&cat=ASM+1873+Single+Action

I have the awa peacekeepers and replaced the hammers with lowered ones.  I got the pietta hammers from EMF.

They are NOT a drop in fit, can it be done yes, if you are not comfortable with working on guns I would have a gunsmith do it for you. The hand hole had to be enlarged slightly then the cam had to be adjusted for proper timing(not for the meek). 

Archived