SASS Wire Forum

IAC 1887

Painted Mohawk SASS 77785

Howdy

Have just bought myself a cheap Norinco. I notice Chiappa sell the drop in '2 load carrier'..will that fit  other 1887's or is there one made especially for the chinese copy...further will 2 1/2 '' shells give consistent ejection or does  work needs to be done on the extractors.

I have read Coyote Cap's articles on this issue I would just like to hear from those that may have experience in these areas.

Thanks in advance...'Mohawk

No the Chiappa carrier does not fit, the angles between it and the lever are a bit different.

2 1/2" hulls will help, but you'll likey have to do some polishing and adjust the extractors. 

12 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

No the Chiappa carrier does not fit, the angles between it and the lever are a bit different.

2 1/2" hulls will help, but you'll likey have to do some polishing and adjust the extractors. 

Thanks Tyrel..Can you buy a '2 load carrier' for the Norinco ?

1 minute ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

No you can’t. Call Lassiter after he returns home from Winter Range and make an arrangement to send him the 87 for his load 2 modification. 

1 minute ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Not that I'm aware of. 

Just now, Caboose said:

No you can’t. Call Lassiter after he returns home from Winter Range and make an arrangement to send him the 87 for his load 2 modification. 

Pretty sure he's in Australia; so probably not an option.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Not that I'm aware of. 

Pretty sure he's in Australia; so probably not an option.

Yep still down  under..Be interesting to know if Lassiters  is a drop in mod like Chiappa or he needs the gun to work on ?

4 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Yep still down  under..Be interesting to know if Lassiters  is a drop in mod like Chiappa or he needs the gun to work on ?

He needs the gun, it involves some welding on some parts and machining on others; all internal so it is not visible and keeps it legal for SASS.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

He needs the gun, it involves some welding on some parts and machining on others; all internal so it is not visible and keeps it legal for SASS.

Thanks mate...

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

...Pretty sure he's in Australia; so probably not an option.

I was sure the guy in the 7th picture down on this thread was Lassiter, even though you can't see his face, but I guess not?

53 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I was sure the guy in the 7th picture down on this thread was Lassiter, even though you can't see his face, but I guess not?

Yep Abilene, that in fact is Lassiter blazin away gunfighter in picture #7.

4 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Howdy

Have just bought myself a cheap Norinco. I notice Chiappa sell the drop in '2 load carrier'..will that fit  other 1887's or is there one made especially for the chinese copy...further will 2 1/2 '' shells give consistent ejection or does  work needs to be done on the extractors.

I have read Coyote Cap's articles on this issue I would just like to hear from those that may have experience in these areas.

Is the barrel on your 87 marked 87 or 87-1? If it says 87 your follower should have a hole in the middle. Cap’s idea so when pushing the carrier down the nose of the ejector would catch in the hole preventing the carrier going from going to low when loading two rounds. Some worked better than others. Some shooters put a spent shotgun hull in the inside of the follower ( open end in the follower, brass end against the spring) to increase the resistance to help the nose of the ejector to hang up in the hole in the follower. Best way is the positive stop that is welded on the bottom right of the carrier which allows the shooter to push as hard as he wants without being concerned the follower will go too low.

If the barrel of your 87 is marked 87-1 it won’t have the hole in the follower. By doing this they avoided paying Cap for his idea for each 87 marked 87-1.

5 hours ago, Dakota Steele SASS# 34757 said:

What are the laws down under?

could you buy one already slicked up and have someone send it to you?

Dakota

Yes Dakota you can do that with an FFL who is eligible to ship internationally but with the conversion rate for our weak Aussie dollar it works out to expensive....

2 hours ago, Caboose said:

Is the barrel on your 87 marked 87 or 87-1? If it says 87 your follower should have a hole in the middle. Cap’s idea so when pushing the carrier down the nose of the ejector would catch in the hole preventing the carrier going from going to low when loading two rounds. Some worked better than others. Some shooters put a spent shotgun hull in the inside of the follower ( open end in the follower, brass end against the spring) to increase the resistance to help the nose of the ejector to hang up in the hole in the follower. Best way is the positive stop that is welded on the bottom right of the carrier which allows the shooter to push as hard as he wants without being concerned the follower will go too low.

If the barrel of your 87 is marked 87-1 it won’t have the hole in the follower. By doing this they avoided paying Cap for his idea for each 87 marked 87-1.

Thanks for the info Caboose..I have only seen photo's from a mate & buying it because cheap so I will check it out for the number.

5 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Everyone, Painted Mohawk is the one in Australia; Lassiter is at Winter Range.

Yeah but I would prefer to be at my 2nd WR..although the wife looked at the weather & said 'no way ' !!!

I have a Norinco worked on by Lassiter that is fun to shoot now. The  drop two helps but he smoothed it up which helps more. I just dropped one on the carrier and pushed it down with the second shell and it worked fine before the drop two conversion. The shotgun is stock heavy and easier to load dropping the barrel down. Once you get used to the long throw of the lever it works great. Enjoy. DC

16 hours ago, Caboose said:

If you do this drop 2 , am I correct that you cannot load the mag tube any more.      GW

3 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

If you do this drop 2 , am I correct that you cannot load the mag tube any more.      GW

You can, but it's a pain in the butt; you have to close the lever enough to allow the carrier to drop further.

3 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Mohawk, a guy at Sackville shoots an 87 and he loads two at once over the top.

I will see what he had done and where for you if he turns up first weekend of March.

Thanks Major..It won't be my main match gun but I will have a play from time to time.

3 hours ago, G W Wade said:

What Tyrel said. It might be faster to remove the follower and spring,  load the mag tube, then replace the follower and mag spring.

30 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Thanks Major..It won't be my main match gun but I will have a play from time to time.

That's what I said when I started shooting mine. Now it is my main match SG.

Because of the long lever throw you will find that cutting the stock a little shorter than you normally would beneficial.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 11:57 AM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

He has the Chiappa and he got the kit from a Gunsmith in Victoria.

He is going to send me the smiths contact details, he said he (the smith) may be able to help you with a Norinco action job?

I will fwd you the contact details when I get them.

50 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

He has the Chiappa and he got the kit from a Gunsmith in Victoria.

He is going to send me the smiths contact details, he said he (the smith) may be able to help you with a Norinco action job?

I will fwd you the contact details when I get them.

Thanks Major..I  think that will be Doc Holiday..he is a smith in Mialls Gunshop in Frankston . I'm going to the Nationals in Victoria in early April  so I might be able to catch up with him then.

38 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Thanks Major..I  think that will be Doc Holiday..he is a smith in Mialls Gunshop in Frankston . I'm going to the Nationals in Victoria in early April  so I might be able to catch up with him then.

Yep I think he did say Frankston.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:10 PM, Tyrel Cody said:
16 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

With Cap's "drop 2" mod you can still stoke it up.

I have both a IAC 87 done by Lassiter and a IAC 87 done by Cap. Loading the magazine of either one is a pain in the butt, having to close the lever enough to allow the carrier to drop further. No difference in the two 87's. Cap used the same method for his load two conversion that Lassiter used by by welding a V- tit to the bottom right side of the carrier and grinding away material on the right side of the lever by the pivot hole pin. 

I have one of each and the Coyote Cap drop 2 mod is not similar to Lassiter’s at all.

Lassiter changes the timing so that the carrier cannot drop to low until you start to close the lever.

Coyote Cap’s mod will allow you to override the stop without closing the lever. 

Stoking my CC 87 is easy.  Stoking my Lassiter 87 is doable but not easy. 

Fireball also has a mod for the 87 but I don’t know how it is done. 

I've got 2 of Cap's 87's with his full race jobs and drop 2 mods. Neither is welded like Lassiters and both can easily stoke the magazine. I practiced for a VERY long time to get to be able to load 2 fairly quickly. 

34 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I have both a IAC 87 done by Lassiter and a IAC 87 done by Cap. Loading the magazine of either one is a pain in the butt, having to close the lever enough to allow the carrier to drop further. No difference in the two 87's. Cap used the same method for his load two conversion that Lassiter used by by welding a V- tit to the bottom right side of the carrier and grinding away material on the right side of the lever by the pivot hole pin. 

Cap drilled the mag follower, and extended the lifter's 'nose' to catch the hole on the follower is all.

Both of our Cap race '87s load easily into the mag.

Just gotta push the lifter ALL the way down and 5 go into the tube with ease.

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Cap drilled the mag follower, and extended the lifter's 'nose' to catch the hole on the follower is all.

Both of our Cap race '87s load easily into the mag.

Just gotta push the lifter ALL the way down and 5 go into the tube with ease.

OLG

That's how Cap designed the original IAC 87. The positive stop load 2 is done differently so the shooter doesn't have to worry about pushing the carrier to far down. We are talking about two different variations of Load 2 87's. Cap's modification to my IAC 87 is done like Lassiter's so the shooter can't push the carrier to far down. This is the mod that is a pain in the butt to load up the magazine. All the original IAC 87's had the hole in the follower for the nose of ejector to catch in. Like I said, some work better than others, and all of those are easy to load up the magazine. 

On 2/21/2019 at 7:38 PM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Howdy

It would behoove you to send it out to Lassiter and have it tuned up right .

I farted with mine for over a year and could Never get it to run reliably .

I sent it to Lassiter and she come back a different gun .

Money well spent !

Just sayin .

Rooster

Screenshot_20180330-211637.thumb.png.3b89b2fe6fb5dfd985ef56e4391a287b.png  

Archived